Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sheehan's footwork really is incredible. Every tackler expects him to take contact, but he shifts his balance and side steps.

Attacking against 13 men.

We desperately need to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We should have gone open there

How was that a maul, Ringroses knee hits the ground about 3 seconds after getting the ball.

wrong thread

• Advertisement

Posted in the match thread but it's pertinent for the overall Ireland gameplan as well;

I think we've seen where Irelands next evolution needs to be. Australia made a meal of the breakdown and Ireland struggled for any sort of attacking platform as a result. They counter rucked brilliantly and JGP was given an awful time tonight.

Yes, we missed Sexton something awful, but I think we would have struggled even with him today. No sort of attacking platform for about 50 minutes.

We haven't been at our very best this November, but overall it's been a successful series. We blooded a number of inexperienced and younger players and won every game.

The winners of this series are undoubtedly JOB and McCloskey. Both were pretty far down the depth chart last summer, but they were given an opportunity against South Africa and they took it with both hands. They'll feature in the Six Nations injury permitting. Crowley had a tough day today, but I think handled himself well under immense pressure by Australia. He deserves another go.

Losers for me are Coombes and Lowry. Both struggled massively against the Maori and seemed uncomfortable at that level of intensity. The former especially looked a step below the speed of play required to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I dunno did JOB impress too much today to be honest. But overall it's been a good series in terms of he's put his name into the mix. I don't think he's at the forefront of the scramble for the utility man seat on the plane (assuming there is one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Matt Williams in the after match talk on Virgin said that Shaun Edwards figured us out. He then went to La Rochelle and acted as a consultant since the weaknesses were common between Leinster and Ireland and the same weaknesses are there now.

Not sure Balacoune took his chances either, though on the wing that can be outside your control.

Thought McCloskey was only ok today, still daylight between him and Henshaw but the experience will go a long way to bridging that gap moving forward.

Crowley did about what could be expected, but again didn't put his hand up in any significant way. Our backline was dire and the best thing I can say is that a lot of it was the fault of more experienced players around him. I'd rather see him build depth to his game in the URC than risk that again if Carbery is available - no doubt to me that Carbery is the better player.

Think Ryan has had a very good November and Hansen has cemented his place in the team. Bealham has done similar and Loughman can be pleased with his November. Prendergast, Joe McCarthy and Timmoney all look to have put themselves in the frame.

Good November series without being great. South Africa, Fiji and Australia all showed up like they were playing the World No.1 Team and wanted the scalp. We gave them Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

An Aus team with Cooper, Kerevi and Korobeiti, who had the sense to start the 2nd best lock in world rugby, would have beaten us by 15+. We were very very lucky today.

I agree with you on Baloucoune. Both Lowe and Hansen come off their wings to contribute as a first receiver or carrying option. Baloucoune seemed more hesitant and looked a bit isolated at 14. Maybe that's what he was instructed to do, but even so the ball rarely came his way. Hasn't done enough to cement his place.

Neither JOB or McCloskey will feature in our strongest 23, but they've both pushed themselves up the depth chart to the point where you wouldn't have a problem with either starting in a pinch.

If the regular starters, I agree with you that Ryan had a good series. So has Beirne, POM, VDF, Sheehan, Ringrose and Hansen. Doris has been our best player by a mile a mile though. Josh was awarded motm against South Africa but Doris was the best player out there and the best player again tonight.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Every team has to deal with injuries. Ireland were missing three starters themselves and still won.

I think had those three Irish players been playing we'd have lost by 30. Probably more. Farrell out.

Hattrick of own trys for Lowe.

Sexton sent off for kicking Ben O'Keeffe's dog.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I don't think JOB has done enough to force his way into the starting 15, but his performances against South Africa and Fiji were encouraging. He player well at 13 and 15. He's ideal cover across the backline. Think he's done enough to be involved in the wider squad at least.

Max Deegan had a decent November despite only playing about 50 minutes as a substitute. Came on against New Zealand XV and Fiji and made some great carries die a lot of metres post contact. And kicked a 50/22.

He's still fairly low down the depth chart, but I think he has impressed and hopefully the Leinster coaches were taking note. Give him a chance in Europe and he could force.gia way higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sleepy Joseph

Crowley needs to start every 6 nations game he is fit for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

For the next 12 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What if it was vs an Irish team with Sexton, Henshaw, Lowe and Henderson?

If you’re going to speculate on what would’ve happened if Aus had their missing players, it only seems fair to include ours in the equation as well, and not entirely overlook that….

• Advertisement

I'd imagine Sexton will start game 1 against Wales away but if they're anything like today hopefully he can sub early.

Round 2 against France - Sexton all day long.

Round 3 against Italy he can stay at home.

Round 4 against Scotland I'm of two minds. They're playing decent enough rugby at times, were good against Argentina and decent against the All Blacks. Unlucky not to beat Australia. I wouldn't be ruling out a Sexton start here.

Final game against England again Sexton all day long.

We've given caps and minutes to Carty, Burns, Byrne, Carbery. Now people are talking about Crowley being number 2.

Reality is - it's the Sexton show and will continue to be until after the World cup all things going well on the injury front. The rest get as much time as they can (particularly for their provinces as none look internationals) and see if anyone genuinely puts their hands up. None have so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Ronan Kelleher has been missed this series. I think he has a slight advantage in physicality when compared to Sheehan. He's an excellent carrier in the tight exchanges and could have made a difference at the ruck too.

Sheehan has developed quite a bit as a player in the last 12 months, but those close quarter scraps are something Kelleher excels at. If he regains fitness and form there'll be a huge battle for the starting hooker jersey. And if nothing else, whomever moves to 16 will offer huge impact off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fortunate win. We were quiet poor! Australia were more physical and played the better rugby imo. Several of our lads weren't at the races. I suppose winning ugly is good but, Australia left points out there.

The good for us, Sheehan- immense display. He's not the finished product either. Ryan - solid and physical. Conan - superb off the bench. Crowley- tough start but, he stood up well.

The bad. JGP was very poor. His decision making was poor. JOB- not a great day. He didn't straighten the line and was easy for the fefense to read. Discipline was poor. It's becoming a problem.

Not a classic contest. A lot of questions still to be answered. The 6nations are around the bend, Faz has more work to do.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No, he shouldn't.

He's leagues away from being our best 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

Are you an Irish fan? Because for an Irish fan you seem to be actively routing against them...

Not really sure how you could say Australia played better rugby. 70% in the first half and couldn’t score. They played low % rugby to try hold onto possession as much as possible. Very South Africa like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ah here, they played better than that but killed themselves with giving away penalties. We were steeped with the amount of turnovers we got from their stupid penalties. They had a try chalked off for an earlier neck roll and we hardly laid a finger on the ball carriers.

Which was the only time in the first half they actually looked like crossing the line. Yes poor discipline affected that, as it did for Ireland trying to get a foothold in the game. Neither team played well and the scoreline reflected that.

• Advertisement

I felt at times last night we were almost inviting Australia to attack. The games against Australia and SA. We have shown very little in attack. It’s like there was an almost conscious decision to win ugly. I wonder are we working on developing different strategies for different games. We know we can play the way we do in attack off quick ruck ball. Are we laying foundations for a plan B here.

Advertisement