Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Neither team played well and the scoreline reflected that.

That would be my take on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Very successful year. Winning Triple Crown and coming 2nd in 6N to a very good French team. Winning a tour series in NZ then winning all autumn internationals including games vs South Africa and Australia. Irish rugby has come a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

True enough they weren't great either. But they had territory and possession and won the battle up front for large periods. Foley missed a fairly easy penalty that would have tied the match and the try that was ruled out.

We were 2nd best in lots of the exchanges! It was not fluid and several lads were not on point. But, here we are, a win, ugly as it was.

So, with Sexton out and a novice at 10, we scrape a win! That's the best news. Crowley has been getting some flak and I think it's misplaced. He didn't have a platform as the pack was under pressure. This is where lads learn and gain experience.

Oz are big lads, very big! They are also skillful and fit. The results they have this year are bizarre! I can see them making a good run next year. I think that backrow was top notch and we struggled with them. Regardless of how the ref ran the breakdown, it's our job to lay the ref. We still have a way to go.

I think that Beirne at 6 with Henderson in the 2nd row would have benifed us. Henderson was missed. We do have options going forward and there's always going to be injured players. The depth is developing in the squad. Yesterday would have been ideal for Loughman to be tested. The 6nations is coming up and I am fairly confident that we are in a good position even with key lads injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s funny, other teams are now trying to do to Ireland, what we did to them under Joe. Ultra low risk, slow the game down and try to hold onto the ball as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I actually think this little wobble is at the perfect time for Ireland. The Farrell-era attack has been tearing teams apart that are set up to play against our Schmidt-era narrower attack. Teams are now set up to play against the Farrell-era attack, and we're struggling to look as convincing. Better this happens now, and we have a year before the RWC, to make the required adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think it's right to start considering James Ryan as one of our best players again. He was excellent in New Zealand and has kept his form up. Made some huge contributions against South Africa and Australia, especially at the lineout. Stole two opposition attacking lineouts on our own 5m line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Absolutely deserved, incredible achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well deserved. Even though Savea wasn’t nominated and he definitely should have been, I think VDF still deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I've been banging that drum for a long time and I'm delighted to see it being recognised. He's been excellent in the last 18 months-2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Sexton, Furlong and Beirne also making the dream team. Good representation for us overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hensen and Sheehan for the least unlucky to be ehind Cappuzo for revelation of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Ryan has been absolutely brilliant since the summer. He was never as bad as people said he was. He's clearly a leader within the team and squad. We're very fortunate to have him.

One thing though, does anyone think he goes into rucks in a slightly, eh, uncontrolled manner sometimes? I don't think he's been carded or even penalised for it but there's the odd one that I think is fairly on the edge. Agree with the tweet above though he's been incredibly physical recently. As stupid as this sounds but he was so young breaking through that maybe it's coming with age.

Also, what an honour for VDF. It's totally deserved and his name is going on a list along with some genuine all time greats.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Twice in a row for Furlong for anyone wondering if it was only Irish people that rated him.

He's started something absurd like 9 consecutive Lions tests. I don't really think there's an iota of doubt anywhere over Furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I actually thought Hansen had quite a poor series, don't think his position is locked down.

I thought he had a terrific game against South Africa and I don't think any other wing option stood out this international window. I'd say his stock is up a fair bit, all fit I'd be astounded if Hansen / Lowe weren't our starting wings.

If Conway comes back strong, I think he's definitely on the boat to France. Lads like Stockdale and Baloucoune need a serious run. Stockdale hasn't played much and has a lot to prove. JOB is versatile, that's probably key for him. He is good all over the backline, without being a lock.

Larmour will not make it. He's just our under the high ball and it hasn't seemed to improve. If he could improve in this facet, he would make it. It's a shame as he is like a phantom carrying the ball. He could skin a cat in a phone booth and destroy a backline. But, the negative impact of fielding is too much to overlook.

We really do not have much pace on the wings. Baloucoune aside, we're quite pedestrian.

I wonder if the IRFU could host a EI type tour next summer. Or even an A squad to run out against some world cup qualified sides? There was the Tblisi event a few years ago. I would think that this type of challenge really does bring out some players.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Baloucoune has been named on Ulster's injury list today (hamstring), which may explain why he wasn't selected at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Larmour was brilliant when he got back at the end of last season. He's just been really unlucky with injuries. He has something the other wingers don't have with his footwork. If he comes back in that form he'll make it. Conway also on form is brilliant.

I think it'll come down to form and injuries. Serious competition there which is great.

I'd go with the form 5 out this 6

Lowe, Keenan, Balacoune, Hanson, Conway and Larmour.

I can't see Earls or Stockdale getting back in unless there is injuries

I'm going to guess Larmour doesn't make it. Even in that fantastic form last season he wasn't making the Irish 23.

You'd forget about all these awards but just saw on twitter as a reminder, VdF also won European player of the year, Irish players player of the year and Irish rugby writers player of the year. Some going.

Vdf is so yesterday! So what if he's world player of the year, it's over rated! Lol.

Fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Larmour from last season has everything JOB has and an ability to spark a break from nothing. Remember he's slotted into the centre fro Leinster and looked comfortable there. If he can get an injury free run, and play like he was last season, I think he takes a spot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I haven't looked it up, but I'm gonna throw it out there that no he hasn't cause I'm not sure he had even started for Leinster before the 2013 test series.

I think he has 6 in a row with a good shout of more thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Spot on Podge. Made Leinster debut in the October or November after that Lions summer. He wasnt even 21 years of age in 2013 for the tour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

It was a disgrace the way Gatland showed his anti irish prejudice again not picking Furlong to start all 3 tests on the 2013 tour... before he had made his debut for leinster.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, obviously thinking of someone else then. 6 in a row still ain't bad.

Advertisement