Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It comes from numerous articles I've seen quoting 8k as an appearance bonus foe Irish internationals and 8k being a win bonus for Irish International tests.

9k+8k=16k.

When the overall machine is as good as it has been then no one is vital. We went from Sexton to a novice out half and beat Australia.

But I think he's of such a standard that he's vital to us playing our best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Moving the conversation along, a running running threat like that is why I'd rather see Crowley continue to be selected ahead of Ross Byrne tbh. He's been in really good form, but I just don't think he offers the running threat we need.

With Sexton and Carbery cler 1st and 2nd choice, I think it makes more sense to have Crowley as 3rd.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree , but I do have this recurring thought of Ross Byrne doing a "Stephen Donald" for Ireland at the World Cup following injuries to Sexton/Carbery

Don't know why , but it keeps popping into my head!!

Fair to say I wouldn't have any complaints about out 3rd choice OH pick if that happened!

• Advertisement

It's definitely a strength of Crowley's game, and I do think he'll make this 6N squad and the RWC squad (barring injury and if he continues on the trajectory he's on), but is that really a core skill of a 10?

To me, you're more concerned with how the 10 can influence the overall shape of the attack. Ross Byrne has marshalled a lot of really good Leinster attacking displays, but, so far, I haven't really seen it from Crowley playing at 10. He's had good moments, but I think oddly his best displays still this season have come playing at 15 (or some at 12).

He's obviously a very talented footballer, but I don't know if he's there at 10 yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont believe we need a significant running threat from out outhalf. i think we need an out half who can organise, and then pick the right play to allow for these outside players popping up in midfield to create these mismatches and off loads. Experience is a big part of seeing these patterns develop in real time during the game. I 100% agree that Crowley is undoubtedly a better running 10 than Ross Byrne, thats unquestionable. However even Sextoin at the moment hasnt got that running threat he used to have. Yes he will take a hole if its offered, but his big strengths is in his ability to organise options and to see the correct decision to take before it occurs. right now, i think Ross Byrne is the closest to this type of play making out half that we have, who isnt sexton.

Crowley is similar to Carbery when he first burst onto the scene. Great running threat, great feet and turn of pace. Crowley has the added advantage of being more physical as well.

...but is that really a core skill of a 10?

I's argue it's a pretty core skill of a 10 in our attacking system, yes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

While I don't think the 10 needs to actually run that much I do think he has to be able to so the defence has one more option to worry about.

i think we need an out half who can organise, and then pick the right play to allow for these outside players popping up in midfield to create these mismatches and off loads.

The problem with this is that if you have a 10 who doesn't possess a quality running threat himself, those mismatches are less likely to exist in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth remembering that Crowley owed his caps to Frawley's injury, and Frawley would definitely be more of a ball-playing OH as well.

It doesn't look like Frawley will be back for the 6N so his window for making a push for the RWC is narrowing rapidly.

i certainly dont agree with that.

Finn russell has a very limited running game but can pick a lock at 50 yards. Hell even sexton himself all through his career wouldnt have been known as the more effective running 10. He creates space by his organisation and decision making skills.

You dont need to have a great running game in order to be able to organise a back line and make the correct decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

It's axiomatic; if the 10 doesn't possess a running threat, the defence can be far more comfortable pushing off him. (Which is pretty much exactly what we saw in RB's 2 international starts).

I'd have a lot of sympathy for RB (2 starts in Twickenham is almost as difficult as it gets) and our attack has improved a lot since then, so if he is called in, I'd expect him to be a lot better than his previous showings demonstrated.

I guess going back to where it originated from, my point is that if a running threat from our winngers who have licence to get involed is vital, then a running threat from our 10 absolutely is.

Well, that's your opinion, but Johnny Sexton hasn't really been a running threat for probably 5 years now.

Arguably if you look at the all time list of RWC winning out halves, I would say only 2 would be classified as running out halves (Michael Lynagh and Dan Carter)?

Could make a very similar argument for the past 15 years or so of European Cup winners too, with maybe only Ntamack and Simmonds deemed running 10s.

yeah, I think one of the attractions of either Frawley or Crowley as the third 10 in a RWC squad is their versatility. Both have played decent amounts of rugby at 10, 12 and 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

but Johnny Sexton hasn't really been a running threat for probably 5 years now.

Ah here. What?

That's just not true tho; it's pretty incredible, and testament to him that even at 37, he's still an excellent line-breaking threat. And he certainly was at 32.

It's axiomatic;

certainly isnt, rugby is a much more organic game than that prescriptive viewpoint assumes.

if you have a 10 whos more likely action is to scan for a running threat first, then that allows the outside defense to umbrella in, thus making it much easier to suffocate. It becomes an easier defense to make because that outside defense doesn't have to make decisions.

if you have a 10, like sexton or russell, who can throw a myriad of disguised passes due to their organisational skills, then a midfield and wider defense must hold because they are left with decisions themselves to make. Thats when holes appear.

its been widely accepted that we have change our system since farrell first come in to be a lot less dependent on Sexton, by having these extra playmakers pop up in midfield. That absolutely reduces any necessity on having a 10 whos first instinct is to run.

He's not though, certainly not in the way he used to be.

He'll still carry the ball a few times a game, and keeps a defence honest, but a line breaking threat consistently?

Here are his stats for Leinster this season in games:

Ulster - 0 metres, 0 carries

Sharks - 18m, 8 carries (2.3m average)

Munster - 9m, 5 carries (1.8m average)

Gloucester - 0m, 0 carries

Connacht - 40m, 5 carries (8m average)

The Connacht game skews his season carry average and his overall stats up to 67m off 18 carries (3.7m per carry), but, from memory, he had one single linebreak in that game which probably accounted for 30 of his 40m.

Ross Byrne's stats this year (off a much larger sample size), are remarkably similar, 105m off 33 carries (3.2m per carry). Don't tell me one of these guys is still a huge carrying threat and the other isn't.

EDIT: I'm not slating Sexton here at all - but when I think of a running 10, I think of a 10 who's first instinct almost is to run. Guys like Beauden Barrett, Marcus Smith, Jack Crowley, Damian Willemse.

Do not credibly try to tell me Sexton is still (or possibly ever was?) a member of that club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sexton isn't close to the breaking threat that he once was but he still is capable of using his smarts and awareness to break the line. Is he a huge threat? No....but he is one. He also tends to mind himself a bit. He doesn't tend to take the ball to the line, releasing it last second or inviting the big hits in URC matches or CC games that are almost over before they start.

He made significant line breaks against NZ both by dummying Will Jordan in one game and also carrying the ball back with an exchange of passes on the narrow side in which led to a yellow card. He made a massive line break against Toulouse to create a try also.

Averaging out his metres per carry but dismissing them being skewed by a single significant doesn't make sense. There's no outhalf aside from 3 or 4 in the world who are making multiple line breaks in a game at a high level. Ntamack has made 17 carries for 48m in Europe this season, apparently. I'd imagine on most of those carries he was scragged to the ground or smashed. But on a couple of them, he probably made a half break and either released someone or the ball generated led to such a break.

You don't need to be bursting through the defensive line with a clean pair of heels to be a breaking threat. If you can get behind the gain line by avoiding contact and the defensive line has to reset, you're a breaking threat.

Do not credibly try to tell me Sexton is still (or possibly ever was?) a member of that club?

The point isn't that Sexton is a member of that club; it's that Ross Byrne definitely isn't.

And I've been careful to say "running threat" not "running 10". Sexton defintely still has a better running threat than RB imo; there's degrees of magnitude here.

Sexton has more of a turn of speed than people give him credit for - but he's not going to run in a try from 30 meters out and he's not going to make a break like Crowley did against Ulster. Most wont remember but when Tommy Bowe made that intercept against Australia in the 2011 Word Cup it was Sexton that was on his shoulder and first person there when he got shunted into touch. James O'Connor who got back for the tackle - very much a ball carrying 10.

With the level of organisation and detail in Ireland's backline - having a running 10 is useful but having subtlety and awareness, a good memory for detail and a good range of passes are also important. On quite a few of the above I'd have Byrne ahead of Crowley at this point in their respective careers. The difference is that Crowley can gain all the latter characteristics whereas Byrne won't uncover the pace to threaten anymore than he already does.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone is saying Ross Byrne is a running 10. Equally, no one is disputing that Crowley is a better runner than Ross Byrne.

I don't think Crowley has shown yet though that he is better than Ross Byrne at fixing defenses and releasing players outside him, which to me are key attributes for a 10.

Leinster have one of the most dynamic attacks in European rugby, and primarily of late that attack is led by Ross Byrne. There are countless examples of recent games where the Leinster backline (with Byrne at 10) have shredded teams.

I can't think of one in recent times where Munster have looked particularly fluid with Crowley at 10. Can you give me an example?

It's also focusing on just one part (albeit an important one) of 10 play. Byrne is definitely a better kicker (from hand and the tee) and defender from 10 than Crowley right now too.

Once again, I think Crowley can and will get there, but he needs more game time at 10.

Curious where you got the stats from btw, just out of pure interest.

The Leinster stats I scrape from the Leinster website - after each fixture they'll provide them there. Munster typically do too, but annoyingly for a handful of games this season (Ulster in Thomond for example) they haven't provided them, which means I can't scrape a complete set.

For Irish games, the IRFU website provides good stats, and usually ESPN Rugby will have good stats too that I can check against.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The Ulster Rugby site has, by a distance, the best player by player statistics available for URC games of any team website. The game in Thomond is up there.

Yeah, their data is excellent. I only became aware of this relatively recently (the Molecast I think), but will try to look at scraping it all and putting it alongside some data I have on other teams.

It’s a shame they don’t have offloads, clean breaks and defenders beaten stats.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I can generally get those stats for Ireland games (and Ulster do have those stats), but Leinster and Munster don't provide.

If this isn't a tangent, and still connected to the Crowley / Byrne debate, I would certainly expect Crowley to be ahead on clean breaks and defenders beaten (Irish rugby stats for offloading are generally poor across the board), but, as I've said a couple of times, I don't think that would tell me he's a better 10 than Byrne.

I think Byrne deserves another shot. He was a guy who played extremely deep, but if you're watching Leinster this season, there are countless games where he's playing very flat and holding defenders.

His 29 min cameo where he turned the game against Ospreys recently is a very good example - he only had 1 carry (for 0m), but still created two tries that won the game.

Advertisement