Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

No FFF. Not what I was saying.

When there is so much will and hope placed behind a desired outcome, then it's more likely that double-downing occurs when it starts to look like said outcome is becoming less and less likely. Human nature. Not just true for professional rugby situations. But also true in them.

There was no player good enough to take Carbery's Jersey from him at either Munster or Ireland until recently.

Assuming Carbery is not injured right now, then Farrell has done what Farrell has done from day 1 as Ireland head coach. Picks and drops on form. Or to use my own language from my earlier post that you quoted, he has decided to invest in Byrne and Crowley and is currently no longer a shareholder in Carbery's play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The first quote reads to me far more like the sunk cost fallacy than anything implying IRFU interference.

In any case, the bigger point is let’s not make this out to be a bigger thing than it is.

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Cian Tracy on the Indo rugby podcast saying some journalists were down in Limerick yesterday, saw a very small bit of Munster training, Carbery was involved and no indication of an injury.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

And actually crowley has an ankle knock and didn't train.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

So..... Stockdale in! Did not see that happening. Earls too! Very harsh on Nash and Daly. Kilcoyne is in, Loughman would be my pick. Coombes back, Timoney out.

Not surprised that Carberry didn't make it. Unfortunately, after Sexton the cupboard is fairly bare. In saying that, great chance for Crowley to stake a claim. Ross should have more caps, imo. He's not the lad I want starting but, off the bench he could be an asset.

I don't know what to expect. There's more upheaval than I expected.

Loughman would be my pick.

He's injured at the moment I think, I suspect he would have been Farrell's pick too if available.

• Advertisement

With all the talk of Carbery, Coombes' re-call has gone a bit overlooked. Delighted for him, has put in some huge performances in the last few weeks.

Would love to see him get the 20 jersey at some point (that isn't Italy).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Almost 200 starts in his career....every single one of them at full back. Maybe he can play wing. But he has never done it in his career once which is odd, to be honest.

I would imagine his lack of link play/passing game also hurts his chances. We've seen Farrell nearly always prefer the guy who can go get his hands on the ball and have a very rounded game, linking with those around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

His recall is well deserved on his club form after the SA game. It will be a tough hill to climb to get into the match day squads though. Barring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure why versatility would matter so much in Haley's case for a 6N squad based in Ireland. Very different requirements to a WC squad

I think he's hard done by

Ah ya, injuries and a bit of luck are needed for guys on the periphery, (or maybe suspensions he says hoping not to jinx it) but it'd be a rare 6 Nations to go thru without picking up some.

If he gets an opportunity, I think he has all the attributes to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I assume if Keenan suffers an injury the JOB would step in. Haley is a fantastic player. Unlucky that Keenan crawled out of the abyss. In saying that, Addison would surely have claimed a spot, injury aside.

Stockdale and Larmour are not good full backs. I doubt Farrell sees them as options.

It's the same squad size as last year by the looks. From my read there are basically 1 player for each position and then 4 utility players:

Fullback

Keenan

Wing

Lowe

Hansen

Utility

Earls (wing, centre)

JOB (FB, centre)

Larmour (Wing, FB)

Stockdale (Wing, FB)

The three starters never play outside their positions. The others do or at least have done. Earls a bit of an outlier as he only covers wing for Munster but he's gone into midfield for Ireland plenty of times before. Stockdale I'm less sure on - I know he's played fullback but I'm scratching my head as to as much. Larmour / JOB more established utility players and have moved around a lot. By all accounts JOB could almost be put down as wing cover also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

So, if you consider everyone fit, where are the interesting first team calls for the Wales game?

Second row - Ryan's in, who of Beirne & Henderson takes the second seat and who takes the bench?

Back row bench spot - feels like it'll end up being Conan, but if Baird and Coombes are pulling up trees in training could be interesting.

half back bench pairing - Casey/Byrne? Casey/Crowley? Murray/Byrne? Murray/Crowley?

Centers - Does Aki get back in vs. McCloskey?

23 jersey - feels like JOB gets it due to versatility and past performances.

This is being particularly picky but....

The three starters never play outside their positions

Technically, Keenan started on the wing for Ireland. Tho he's obviously absolute dead-cert starting 15 now, and even in-game if changes were needed, I'd rather keep him at FB if at all possible, given what he brings there.

Earls a bit of an outlier as he only covers wing for Munster but he's gone into midfield for Ireland plenty of times before.

He's gone into midfield for Munster too; he started a few games there at the start of last season (mind you, it didn't go particularly well).

I think JOB is easily the player who covers the most positions to a good standard, but as far as I recall, Larmour has covered centre Ireland as well the odd time.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Second row - Ryan's in, who of Beirne & Henderson takes the second seat and who takes the bench?

Back row bench spot - feels like it'll end up being Conan, but if Baird and Coombes are pulling up trees in training could be interesting.

I think there's a chance that Beirne starts at 6. I'm a huge POM fan, but his season he hasn't quite hit the heights of last year(where he was absolutely unbelievable for about 12 months). And for me, Beirne absolutely has to start.

And in that scenario, you could end up seeing POM on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would imagine if looks something like

VDF, Doris & POM

Conan

Baird & Coombes

Prendergast.

as the pecking order going into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All good. The very best thing Jack Conan can hear, is Coombes being big upped.

If by "bigged up" you mean "praised for his legitimately excellent performances", then I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think Conan is probably sick to the teeth of his fellow Irish 8's being praised. Dallaglio thinks Doris will be as good as Kieran Read and one of Ireland's greatest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Haha, "I don't want to big him up too much, but he can be as good as Kieran Read and some of the real greats" from Dallaglio.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Stockdale and Kilcoyne the surprise for me. Neither are the players they once were. Killer due to age, Stockdale perhaps the environment up in Ulster lately....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is nobody considering Jamie Osbourne as cover for FB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Would echo a lot of comments. Very surprised about Joey, he must be injured. He's been in worse form and been picked before.

Stockdale is a bit of a headscratcher. Hope he shoots the lights out if he gets a chance.

Murray was not involved against Northampton but I'm not wholly convinced he was 'dropped' - I wonder was that to give younger lads a go at a decent level and see how they go (a good shout in the long term). Ironically, it was a game crying out for Murray to control and close out when the red card happened. I don't think he's done with Ireland at all, it might be horses for courses. He's played well enough this year too.

Earls is interesting - his form has very consistent over the years, he's been out injured for a while and put in a couple of bad performances. Maybe age has caught up or it's just a temporary dip. I'm surprised he's been picked if I'm honest but I hope he takes his chance if he does get one, he kind of has to. A poor Six Nations for him and I don't see him making the WC squad. A penny for the thoughts of Calvin Nash or Daly at the moment, they may have had his hopes up a little.

Delighted for Coombes, well earned. Arguably the form player in Ireland. Osborne has been in good form also bar that one match recently, will be interesting to see how he handles international level if he gets a go.

Worried about props, Killer played well the other day but we're in need of new blood before the WC. It's a shame Loughman is injured.

It's a pity Haley's form wasn't rewarded but them's the breaks I guess. He's an injury away from being called in maybe.

Going to be a fascinating Six Nations with the changes in coaches, all a bit unsettled.

Advertisement