Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

How much European rugby had Carbery played before he was brought into the Ireland squad? He got his debut in November 2016, in the New Zealand game in Chicago, when he was what, 21? Age shouldn't really be a factor. And while I know Harry Byrne hasn't played European rugby, he was supposed to play against Northampton before his warm-up injury. Get him into the wider squad at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Byrne looks a bit of a natural footballer than Healy, plus some say Crowley is rated higher in Munster anyway...but as an Ulster fan I can't say I've seen loads of either player. I was impressed by Healy against Harlequins back in December though.

Anyway 10 is the one position where fast tracking someone has logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

bilston wrote: »
    Byrne looks a bit of a natural footballer than Healy, plus some say Crowley is rated higher in Munster anyway...but as an Ulster fan I can't say I've seen loads of either player. I was impressed by Healy against Harlequins back in December though.

From the few games I seen of Crowley in the u20s six nations, Crowley look better all rounded player. Quicker and more of a line break threat that Healy. Doesn’t always translate to senior though I suppose.

Healy being behind JJ is not the issue.... We've had player's play for Ireland before their province if were going down that road.
    Healy is the rising star, it would be folly to stunt his development now...being him into the squad and let him show his worth

Depends what we're talking about here. If we're talking about getting him into the wider squad then go for it. Although in the present circumstances that might have ramifications for the bubble and releasing those guys back to their provinces for important game time in the league. That applies to both Healy and Byrne

ButnI think its unrealistic to expect Ireland to develop either of them through gametime into the 6Ns. That's not Ireland's job, that's the responsibility of the provinces.

IF we do go to the South Sea Isalnds in June and July (although I doubt that will happen) then get them playing then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Tbh, I've never seen anyone with any knowledge say Crowley is the better option going forward, but if it happens, lovely.
    At the moment...we need someone who can come in to the side immediately....it's not Burns...we all know that... Byrne and Healy have to be given the chance...
    Healy has done very well in Pro 14 and Europe so far ...and his time will come, no doubt, but if HB gets the shout this 6 nations, I won't complain,
    Farrell has to show faith in the younger players coming thru at 10..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Just to focus on one of the positives. Robbie Henshaw.
    I thought he was again outstanding.

Even during the thumping by England in 2020 6N he always showed himself for the ball and never took a backward step.
    He is showing his true class now and backing himself to have a go when he sees it.
    The try against France was World Class
    The break for the try yesterday was also World Class

Im very interested to hear if people think the try yesterday was a manufactured break or just sole inspiration?
    I think he just saw Wales were stacked and coming hard up and decided to have a go himself the other side of the ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

CMcsporty wrote: »

Even during the thumping by England in 2020 6N he always showed himself for the ball and never took a backward step.
    He is showing his true class now and backing himself to have a go when he sees it.

Im very interested to hear if people think the try yesterday was a manufactured break or just sole inspiration?
    I think he just saw Wales were stacked and coming hard up and decided to have a go himself the other side of the ruck.

Thought he was fantastic. Better than I've seen him in some time. Smart play, great lines and looks more elusive than he has for a while.

Tbh, I've never seen anyone with any knowledge say Crowley is the better option going forward, but if it happens, lovely.
    At the moment...we need someone who can come in to the side immediately....it's not Burns...we all know that... Byrne and Healy have to be given the chance...
    Healy has done very well in Pro 14 and Europe so far ...and his time will come, no doubt, but if HB gets the shout this 6 nations, I won't complain,
    Farrell has to show faith in the younger players coming thru at 10..

ROG spent 15 minutes waxing lyrical about Crowley on OTB a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway...you say Farrell has to show faith in the younger 10s...I'd say Van Graan and Cullen have to do it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Henshaw is in the form of his life right now. I've been critical of him in the past, looking very one dimensional under Schmidt but his game has evolved so much over the last two years. I wonder how much influence Lancaster has had on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

TRC10 wrote: »
    International rugby is harder than pro14 rugby......who knew?!

You're right, we should never gives international debuts to players who have proved themselves at pro14 level..because international is harder

If that’s the case no uncapped player will ever play for Ireland again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Henshaw is in the form of his life right now. I've been critical of him in the past, looking very one dimensional under Schmidt but his game has evolved so much over the last two years. I wonder how much influence Lancaster has had on him.

Yeah probably all down to Lancaster, can't think of when he might have played like that in the past under any different coaches or in another team perhaps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My biggest problem, (but potential positive?) with yesterday is how much we improved when we stopped kicking the ball away and actually tried to attack. When we were forced to actually play (due to the red card) we made ground well and our centres in particular looked like creating. Even Burns' terrible crossfield wasn't needed, sure we weren't making much ground at that point but we were keeping possession easily enough, just needed some more patience.

The first 5-10 minutes was torrid stuff, 1 phase then box kick it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

ROG spent 15 minutes waxing lyrical about Crowley on OTB a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway...you say Farrell has to show faith in the younger 10s...I'd say Van Graan and Cullen have to do it first.

Eddie O'Sullivan compared Healy to Dan Carter sure....soundbites abound
    Van Graham has given Healy quite a lot of gametime already this season...and if he continues, he'll make the 10 jersey his own by the seasons end. Great news for both Munster & Ireland if so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It was great to see him cut loose like that.
    The try in France was definitely a solo run but I do think the break yesterday was a considered move.

Matt Williams was also saying about how Ireland identified it.

Ireland repeatedly went one side and the other yesterday. Without much success.
    It was exceptional footwork and skill from Henshaw to break the line and offload.

And how fitting was it that Beirne was there to finish it off?
    He set up the ruck for the switch back and got up and went again.
    Beirne & Henshaw were heroic yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

So, what I'm reading here is that Farrell has discovered the secret to unleashing the awesome power of Robbie - play him at 6 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kelleher made a big impact when he came off the bench. Bowled over AWJ with a huge carry. Probably should have been sprung off the bench sooner. If we can fix his throwing I've no doubt he'd be a mainstay in the side. He's just 23 years old too so has time to improve.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1358712604059983879?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Clegg wrote: »
    Kelleher made a big impact when he came off the bench. Bowled over AWJ with a huge carry. Probably should have been sprung off the bench sooner. If we can fix his throwing I've no doubt he'd be a mainstay in the side. He's just 23 years old too so has time to improve.

Damn, that was beautiful. I actually thought it was Kilcoyne at the time.

Anyone have Standers smash on Faletau?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

All that "unstructured chaos" training paying off!

It was also great to see Ringrose back and looking sharp. That break at the end was also World Class.

Dan Bigger was left swimming in the air

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1358517371011551238?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Crowley is better with ball in hand than Healy is and he’s a better defender. Healy is only fantastic at kicking that’s it. He needs to improve other aspects of his game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clegg wrote: »

Great to see someone taking the ball at pace for a change. We're miles too static most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This was posted in the match thread but needs reposting here I think. Alex Corbisiero was very impressed with Ireland's scrummaging yesterday, especially in light of us only doing it with 7 players rather than 8. He noticed a change in Leinsters system after they were shellacked by Saracens last season and that seems to have carried through to the Ireland set up.

https://twitter.com/AlexCorbs/status/1358486601622429696?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Start POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

All that "unstructured chaos" training paying off!

It was also great to see Ringrose back and looking sharp. That break at the end was also World Class.

Dan Bigger was left swimming in the air

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1358517371011551238?s=20

Still can't believe that's not a penalty against Tipiric

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Damn, that was beautiful. I actually thought it was Kilcoyne at the time.

Anyone have Standers smash on Faletau?

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1358505396374294529

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm a huge Earls fan but I think there's a question mark on using him going forward. Unlike the 10 shirt, there are relatively experienced options who will be available in the long term and aren't far off Earls' level at this point. We don't know the situation with Conway, but Larmour is available and Shane Daly could get a look in against Italy potentially.

If Ireland lose to France and are out of the Championship then I'd rather give the starts to Larmour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

They'd be doing us a favour if he was banned for the tournament but reckon that's a stretch. It is his second red card for nearly the same thing this season alone so he shouldn't have the previous disciplinary record going in his favour.

There's a suggestion here he's gotten other red cards, but just to be clear, these are the first 2 red cards of his career. The Scarlets one was for 2 yellows, not as egregious as yesterday's. (Not trying to defend him, just trying to be accurate).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

b.gud wrote: »

I think Farrell will make CJ, or even Ringrose captain v France

Keenan; Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe; Byrne, Park;
    Healy, Herring, Porter; Henderson, Beirne;
    Ruddock, VdF, CJ (c)

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Furlong, Dillane, Connors, Murray, Burns, Farrell (Earls will prob be picked)

I know it wont happen but Carty and also Marmion should be in the training squad this wk and start them v Italy. & Casey on the bench.
    Game was crying out for Carty's kicking from hand skills yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't know about this, he managed to play well enough under Schmidt to get a Lions call-up in 2017.

I think this is his first prolonged spell without injury in a couple of years and it's showing. If he keeps this up he'll be on the Lions tour again (if it happens, obvs).

I don't know about this, he managed to play well enough under Schmidt to get a Lions call-up in 2017.

I think this is his first prolonged spell without injury in a couple of years and it's showing. If he keeps this up he'll be on the Lions tour again (if it happens, obvs).

He could easily get into the test side. There aren't many 12s knocking down trees in Ireland or Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Bonus point win against the French, you read it here first!

Healy,
    Herring,
    Porter,
    Ryan,
    Henderson,
    Beirne,
    Stander,
    Vdf,
    Sexton,
    Murray,
    Keenan,
    Larmour,
    Lowe.

Kellegher,
    Kilcoyne,
    Furlong,
    Baird, (not likely I know)
    Coombes,
    HB ice cream, (also not likely)
    Gibson,
    Reluctantly Earls (offers most options if one of center goes down)

Advertisement