Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

rodge123 wrote: »
    Bonus point win against the French, you read it here first!

Healy,
    Herring,
    Porter,
    Ryan,
    Henderson,
    Beirne,
    Stander,
    Vdf,
    Sexton,
    Murray,
    Keenan,
    Larmour,
    Lowe.

Kellegher,
    Kilcoyne,
    Furlong,
    Baird, (not likely I know)
    Coombes,
    HB ice cream, (also not likely)
    Gibson,
    Reluctantly Earls (offers most options if one of center goes down)

Don't know if your tactic of swapping Murray and Sexton and playing without centers will work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Don't know if your tactic of swapping Murray and Sexton and playing without centers will work

Drico and darcy to be named at the last minute obviously!

I still can't believe how badly that game went. Beyond satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Im gutted with the result but have a feeling we're going to come back in anger against France, there a very young team and the fact that we held our own against that experienced with Welsh pack while missing a back rower woukd suggest to me were well organised. Lineout is improving too finally. I think we could put alot ot pressure on France and nick a win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

We were good yesterday.

We had to deal with the equivalent of 6.5 sin-binnings.

A lot to be encouraged about:
    - Keenan superb
    - Lowe a solid performer and a great kicking outlet
    - Henshaw superb
    - The Henshaw/Ringrose partnership excellent
    - Murray and Sexton were good in my view contrary to some reports
    - Van der Flier was very good
    - Beirne was excellent, and Henderson was good
    - Healy was superb, and Furlong is back

The red card shafted us but we were good

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I know it’s easy to get sucked in with the Billy Burns stuff, but what were Wales playing at kicking the ball away with only seconds left on the clock? It was one of the most baffling decisions I’ve ever seen in a test match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Faugheen wrote: »
    I know it’s easy to get sucked in with the Billy Burns stuff, but what were Wales playing at kicking the ball away with only seconds left on the clock? It was one of the most baffling decisions I’ve ever seen in a test match.

I dunno which was worse between that and Finn Russell's attempt at the drop goal the day before. You'd go a long way to see 2 poorer decisions with the clock near the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Faugheen wrote: »

Absolutely. Goes through one more phase, ball is recycled, kicked out and game is over. Billy Burns furore doesn’t happen!! That’s sport.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

aloooof wrote: »
    I dunno which was worse between that and Finn Russell's attempt at the drop goal the day before. You'd go a long way to see 2 poorer decisions with the clock near the red.

At the very least with Russell you could say he was trying to bring the score line to >7 and England wouldn’t get the losing bonus. He should have binned it when he had to check but at least there was method to his madness.

The Wales one had no purpose whatsoever. It was crazy.

My impression is that Wales are a poor side. Yesterday didn’t change my view. Next weekend will tell whether Ireland have progressed over last 12 months. Law of averages would suggest we won’t get another red, and selection dependent, we will have a clearer picture of where we stand just now. With so much inexperience in the French ranks, I certainly believe we will be very competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Brewster wrote: »
    My impression is that Wales are a poor side. Yesterday didn’t change my view. Next weekend will tell whether Ireland have progressed over last 12 months. Law of averages would suggest we won’t get another red, and selection dependent, we will have a clearer picture of where we stand just now. With so much inexperience in the French ranks, I certainly believe we will be very competitive.

Yeah, I think there were plenty of positive signs yesterday, but you're spot on we will get a better idea next week.

I think we can exploit French 10-12 channel. I think Ringrose and Henshaw could do very well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I think that everyone (supporters) was quite deflated at the end of the match yesterday focusing on the red card/missed touch however there was a lot to be positive about.
    Although Wales seem poor you would still expect them to win comfortably having an extra player for 65 minutes.
    Some of the errors that led to their scores came from the effort/pressure we were trying to exert.
    We matched Wales in every facet of the game and were within scoring distance to possibly win it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Where’s your billy burns now all those that castigated me for saying Byrne and Carty are better options, Carty played well for Connacht over the weekend and Byrne is steady, in fact if burns got his chance then hanrahan should get a go as he’s been playing well, as I’ve said before if burns was good enough for test level he would still be with glouster and in the England elite squad and to those who say it’s harsh on burns, it’s harsher on the lads he skipped across

• Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    I think that everyone (supporters) was quite deflated at the end of the match yesterday focusing on the red card/missed touch however there was a lot to be positive about.
    Although Wales seem poor you would still expect them to win comfortably having an extra player for 65 minutes.
    Some of the errors that led to their scores came from the effort/pressure we were trying to exert.
    We matched Wales in every facet of the game and were within scoring distance to possibly win it in the end

Yeah I have to agree. I thought it was 100% effort from all 14 players. They ballsed up a few times, which is disappointing particularly given how close the match was, but i think they gave everything they had.

But I though most players, played their heart out. Some poor performances, I think Earls was on great form after lockdown, but that form didn’t carry through to yesterday. Likewise there were lots of really poor kicks for kick-chase.

But there were some really strong performances like Bernie, Henderson, Furlong, Henshaw.

I don’t follow Ireland because they’re the best or because they win all the time. I follow them and appreciate when they give maximum effort. I don’t think Farrell can be viewed negatively on the basis of that game either. It was an unusual circumstance and I think they generally did their best in the situation they found themselves.

Roll on next weekend- I’m not optimistic about beating France, but a good performance would be a decent result.

I’d also give Farrell latitude to try some new guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Where’s your billy burns now all those that castigated me for saying Byrne and Carty are better options, Carty played well for Connacht over the weekend and Byrne is steady, in fact if burns got his chance then hanrahan should get a go as he’s been playing well, as I’ve said before if burns was good enough for test level he would still be with glouster and in the England elite squad and to those who say it’s harsh on burns, it’s harsher on the lads he skipped across

This has come up a few times and, simply, it's not comparing like with like. We don't have anywhere near the same depth as England. Eddie Jones has so much talent available to him, he's been able to largely overlook the last 2 European Player's of the Year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who cares if Carty played well for Connacht over the weekend? Serious question, performances in the Pro14 are clearly of very little consequence. There is a very long list of players who have torn it up in the league and never really played test rugby.

As for Byrne, I am assuming you are talking about Ross. I think Burns is still better than he is, Byrne was fairly mediocre for his cameos in the Autumn.

Burns is the second best 10 Ireland have right now. I don't think he's particularly amazing but he's the best of the rest. That is likely to remain a fact until Harry Byrne becomes more established at Leinster, and then show that he's as good as they say.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Playing well for connacht as they fall over the line in a muddy Rodney parade against dragons is somehow comparable to playing test level rugby against Wales in the millennium???

Ermmmm

OK....

If the coaches thought carty was good enough be would be in the six nations squad....
    He wasn't named, and the best he can hope is to get on as injury cover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    As for Byrne, I am assuming you are talking about Ross. I think Burns is still better than he is, Byrne was fairly mediocre for his cameos in the Autumn.

I'm pretty sure RByrne would not have made several of the mistakes that Burns made, but he would have also been playing a completely different game that I'm not sure would have bothered Wales' defence as much. With a pack on top and time for your backline to attack RB is great. At international level were you need to really attack the line - particularly with 14 players - I'm not sure he would have been much use.

He also wouldn't have kicked out on the full, thrown a pass from a break with time dead 10m behind someone and then kicked out on the full.

Neither of them are the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jack Carty is the new John Cooney.

• Advertisement

I think that's pretty unfair on John Cooney, who was playing exceptional rugby at European level as well.

Cooney was genuinely hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Jack Carty
    John Cooney
    Jesus Christ

Coincidence?? I think not

giphy.gif

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure RByrne would not have made several of the mistakes that Burns made, but he would have also been playing a completely different game that I'm not sure would have bothered Wales' defence as much. With a pack on top and time for your backline to attack RB is great. At international level were you need to really attack the line - particularly with 14 players - I'm not sure he would have been much use.

He also wouldn't have kicked out on the full, thrown a pass from a break with time dead 10m behind someone and then kicked out on the full.

Neither of them are the future.

Well yes, Byrne absolutely killed Ireland's attack against England in the Autumn. He was so deep and his play was so rudimentary, he got the ball and just shoveled it on to the man beside him. He offered nothing. Burns came on and worked a try for Stockdale I think.

Byrne is rock solid but not sure he has it for the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Burns is some scapegoat! Let's banish him to .... He was very poor. But, he's next off the bench after Sexton. If he continues to stink it up, he'll be jettisoned. Ross Byrne has been very poor for Ireland too. Carty has been poor. The list goes on. Sexton too was very poor yesterday, imo.
    Burns is a good player and he's going to bounce back. If Sexton is out this week, I think Burns will start. RB will bench and hopefully they are up for it. Last year Murray and Sexton were awful and yet here they are, forever internationals no matter what.

Eh no. He was made a very good offer by Ulster, because he is a very good player, and he decided to take it. It was sanctioned by the IRFU because he was Irish qualified. Gloucester RFC were actually very upset to lose him at the time. Yes he had a poor cameo yesterday, but is fully deserving of another opportunity in a test match against tier 1 opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

awec wrote: »
    I think that's pretty unfair on John Cooney, who was playing exceptional rugby at European level as well.

Cooney was genuinely hard done by.

He was hard done by at a certain point in time, his claims have long since faded, but his name is still bandied about in the 'what more can he do' circles.

Carty is the same. Like, Burns having a mare does not make Carty any better, no more than it makes Ross Byrne any better, Sexton any younger or Carbery any less crocked.

Give Burns another go, if he's still rubbish then we go for the nuclear option

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Burns is some scapegoat! Let's banish him to .... He was very poor. But, he's next off the bench after Sexton. If he continues to stink it up, he'll be jettisoned. Ross Byrne has been very poor for Ireland too. Carty has been poor. The list goes on. Sexton too was very poor yesterday, imo.
    Burns is a good player and he's going to bounce back. If Sexton is out this week, I think Burns will start. RB will bench and hopefully they are up for it. Last year Murray and Sexton were awful and yet here they are, forever internationals no matter what.

Have to agree with you here, m&s have been below average for a long time now but they are like lads on a junior hurling team, can’t be dropped because they were good one time.
    If Ross Byrne is good enough for European rugby with Leinster then he’s good enough for Ireland, he should be given a proper run, 3/4 full matches, burns had his chance and blew it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Sexton too was very poor yesterday, imo.

He bloody wasn't. He chose the attack options well, kicked his goals well, attacked the line well when needed, put through kicks well when needed.

He kicked a penalty out on the full (poor) and got turned over in contact (not great).

He was average, which is still better than the other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

“I see some familiar faces here today...some welcome, some not so welcome.

“It looks as if I’ve had the last laugh on a lot of people who really didn’t think I had it in me to become a brilliant priest.

“Well, what I say to those people is ‘look at me now’.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Have to agree with you here, m&s have been below average for a long time now but they are like lads on a junior hurling team, can’t be dropped because they were good one time.
    If Ross Byrne is good enough for European rugby with Leinster then he’s good enough for Ireland, he should be given a proper run, 3/4 full matches, burns had his chance and blew it

The irony is quite delicious :pac:

Advertisement