Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Who do people think has the better build up advantage going into the World Cup?

The top Irish, & British club teams will all be finished the club campaign by the 27th of May. Some a week or 2 earlier. Players can get a holiday in, nurse a few injuries, and the 1st warm-up game is not until the 5th of August. Obviously they will be back in camp from around start of July assume?

The top French teams go for 3 weeks longer until the 17th of june, and then the national team is back out on the 5th of August.

South africans club teams finished by the 27th of may. Few weeks break and then into the rugby championship early July.

I know they only started the season in February, but The Australians and Nz club teams go to the 24th of June.

Then, the national teams are out from the 8th of July for 4 weeks of the rugby championship. Finishing the 5th of August.

And 3 weeks before they play a rugby, warm up on the 25th of August and straight into the world cup.

I'd think Ireland have an advantage in that all the players should be fresh come the world cup. My only worry is however will we be undercooked with only 2 warm up games (currently fixed) . While the Southern hemisphere teams are coming in more battle hardened but potentially carrying more injuries..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I believe that theres talk of an Ireland Samoa match being added to the warmups.

I do feel that Ireland have less warmup games because they will be treating their first two world cup games (Romania and Tonga) as additional warm ups. If we opened with South Africa and Scotland we would be having more warm up matches.

What matters is the ship we face South Africa and Scotland and into the quarter finals. Not the shape we show up for the Romania game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ireland play Samoa in Bordeaux for their last warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Are we expecting Sexton to be able to play, and how much of a warm up will he need, given he'll have not played since the English match

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not overly concerned about the warmups. The bulk of the team will be playing right to the end of the season (hopefully) with knockouts in both comps, they'll have loads of rugby under their belt, then presume it'll be into camp over the summer to maintain fitness and as has been mentioned we start off with the two easier games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Shehal

Warm ups arent anywhere near as relevant for Ireland as they are for Scotland or SA as we must wait unit our final 2 games for our first real test whereas SA and Scotland play first up so they must both hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Another impressive performance by Stockdale last night, three try assists I think and another ruled out. Hit some cracking lines, showed some nice handling skills and did well under the high ball. Slowly but surely getting there...of course it was Dragons at home...but it is encouraging to see, the confidence is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think the last few years have shown that he has a fantastic ability to go from Zero to 60 in an instant. Anytime he was out injured, he seems to have went straight back into the team. A massive credit to the level he operates at, the way he minds himself and the player management program too. Even if he hadn't been injured against England, I wasn't really expecting him to play much between then and RWC.

I reckon he won't play again until they are in France. Playing any of the August games would be too risky at that stage. It could even be the Tonga game in Nantes before we see him.

I remember someone saying that Tom Brady was just rocking up for a game on Sunday, doing what he needed and heading home after. Don't know how true it is, but it feels like Johnny is at that level.

He has really looked good these last few weeks.

A run deep in the URC playoffs where he looks that good could make a real case for him getting the 5th back three spot in the RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

McKibbin and Konno: from war to peace

Brilliant article in today’s Irish times by Jonathan Drennan. For some reason I can’t find link online.

it’s about when Presidents of the IRFU and JRFU met at an IRB meeting in 1975.

The story has the makings of a film.

The game can be more important than the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Michael Milne and Calvin Nash should be going to the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Would you leave out Healy at this late stage ? Milne looks the real deal for sure. Nash looks great too but with no time in camp who would he be replacing ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nash for earls, but there is no guarantee that earls would be traveling in the first place. The summer tests will tell a huge amount

Milne is one of 3 that could get the 3rd lh prop spot imo.

That said there's a chance with older players that the have a massive drop in form after a break.

Nash was in the camp during the ais. I don't think there is a nailed on 5th back three player so he could maybe snap at that spot. I suspect warmup cap and missing the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Would you leave out Healy at this late stage ?

No but I'd leave out Loughman and Kilcoyne.

Nash looks great too but with no time in camp who would he be replacing ?

Nash does have time in camp. He went on the EI tour. He was also in camp in November and started the 'A' game. I'd have him ahead of Earls, Conway, Stockdale, Baloucoune and Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Healys ability to play both sides (and hooker apparently) makes him very handy squad player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That would be great, but getting accommodation will be tricky at this point. Flights will be pricey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Porter, Healy, Milne seems an easy choice. Milne is better than any of the Munster LHs, not sure on the Ulster options at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Loughman is only back from injury and suits Ireland’s style really well. Also covers TH at a push.

As it stands, he’s ahead of Milne. “Easy choice” is way overstating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

There's also the fact that Milne has yet to start or bench a run of meaningful games for Leinster. I think he'll make the wider training squad though, from there who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Season too soon i think, but who knows. Still a while to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What’s meaningful? He benched in the champions cup this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd argue that Loughman is worth a shot. He's been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Kelleher isn't fixed soon, we could be relying on young Stewart. He's definitely earned the look.

Kelleher is a lad that just can't stay healthy.

Im not sure if Ireland are planning any more warm ups but part of me think's if the ones scheduled are the final ones (along with the Samoa game rumoured in Bordeaux) the lack of games probably indicates that Farrell has seen enough on the field and its unlikely someone from the outside is going to force their way into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

I edited before you replied as I had remembered the champions cup. Point still stands though, he's hardy played against top opposition, although I've liked what I've seen on the SA tour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Loughman is well ahead of Milne as things stand for the RWC. Though I think In another years time, especially if Healy stands down. That Milne will be in contention for Ireland as there aren’t a lot of LH’s coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

We will need plenty of back up players on standby for potential injuries. Guys like Milne and Stewart are vital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

probably, but also that the early pool games are 'easy' (debatable) and will be used as more warm up games due to a week off during the pool stage

i know its leinster so its different, but doesnt really sit right with me about a third-choice player being in an international squad. theres only so far down the pecking order you should go imo

• Advertisement

With that mindset you are really limiting you're potential playing pool.

Advertisement