Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I've seen Ross Byrne play dozens of times. I don't need to see him play at international level more to know that he does not have the pace or ability to attack the line and you can't afford a deep playing 10 at international level unless you have an overpowering pack, which we do not.

I don’t think we necessarily can’t have an overpowering pack. I could easily see a very successful side with him at 10 playing the Morne Steyn role. Can only imagine the anguish that would cause the rugby aestheticians, but I could see it winning (especially if our defense is as dominant as some Farrell coached sides have been, like that Lions tour).

Our pack would need to improve, but it’s not impossible to see the path from here to there, you can see the players who would be in all those positions and there’s no doubt there’s talent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

So what we're saying is Leinster should release James Ryan so that young lads like Charlie Ryan can play.

I completely agree.

No one ever suggested that. James Ryan isn’t old in fact he’s only two years older than Charlie Ryan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Part of the answer to that, unfortunately, happened three months ago.

We can see what will happen.

Sexton through pure loyalty and stupidity from the IRFu will rage against the dying of the light, get a new deal, and we'll see him limping into the WC. We'll have another cluster**** of a ROG/Sexton pressure cooker where Burns, Carty,whomever get slated for anything. And people will say Joey is a 15, JJ is too old and that Harry Byrne, even though he'll be 24 is too young. And people will defend it and others will scratch their heads, and ask what happened? we've been here before. we can all write the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

If we're talking about a guy who wants to be our next starting 10 for the next WC, potentially usurping Sexton, I don't think there's two better games to prove yourself than two games against the previous WC finalists. Certainly a better opportunity than fifteen minutes at fourteen men against Wales.

I'd say something as well if he has just average - but he was dreadful. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another go, but if he doesn't show anything past this Summer we should be looking elsewhere.

What did he do that was dreadful? Did he throw a pass to George Ford or miss 5 easy points off the tee?

We have a summer tour this year don’t we? Surely if the Lions goes ahead the Irish Rugby team will have a summer tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    No one ever suggested that. James Ryan isn’t old in fact he’s only two years older than Charlie Ryan.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

OldRio wrote: »
    Can I just ask one simple question. No provincial bias. No bs. How do we address the issue of a number 10 and a number 9 in time for the next World Cup?

Ideas?

Give Casey and Harry a chance together in a few games in 6n to build a decent partnership. Scotland and Italy. When we played at a tempo on Sunday we actually looked like we were making progress until Murray decided to box kick aimlessly

I'd be all in favour of Murray Earls Sexton POM not seeing another minute of gametime

Ryan or maybe Ringrose/Henderson/Herring can captain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Jesus Christ. Coombes is the form player ffs.

I give up.

Admittedly I haven't been on boards.uk, but I don't see many Scottish fans giving out about how Cameron Redpath is an English reject...

He’s not an English reject he was in English camp when he was 18. He chose to play for Scotland because his Dad played for Scotland. It probably would have just taken him longer to break into the English team that’s all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Interesting that they say Ed Byrne was in Cardiff at the weekend with the team. Obviously was part of the wider squad last week but they didn't mention it.

I wonder why he was left out initially if he ended up being part of the travelling squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

They haven’t mentioned anything on Doris?

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    They haven’t mentioned anything on Doris?

Why would they? He's been released to Leinster

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Give Casey and Harry a chance together in a few games in 6n to build a decent partnership. Scotland and Italy. When we played at a tempo on Sunday we actually looked like we were making progress until Murray decided to box kick aimlessly

I'd be all in favour of Murray Earls Sexton POM not seeing another minute of gametime

Ryan or maybe Ringrose/Henderson/Herring can captain.

James Ryan isn’t playing this weekend and no chance of Herring being captain you must be joking.

James Ryan isn’t playing this weekend and no chance of Herring being captain you must be joking.

Why are you being so antagonistic mate?

Herring was a suggestion after 3 other players.

Instead of being a cretin maybe offer a different player you think?

I know everything about the Doris situation I can’t really say much because it’s confidential but he won’t be playing this weekend

I know everything about the Doris situation I can’t really say much because it’s confidential but he won’t be playing this weekend

Why mention anything at all anyway then?

No one cares whose in the know.

Why are you being so antagonistic mate?

Herring was a suggestion after 3 other players.

Instead of being a cretin maybe offer a different player you think?

Damn..someone’s mad. Cj Stander will be a good captain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As was Sexton in Twickenham in the 6N when he was faced with the exact same situation... he brought to the line in Paris and against Wales when he came off the bench but again that doesn’t fit the narrative.

I fired up the Autumn Nations Cup game and it took me 37 seconds into the game to find this image. Byrne passes it onto O'Mahony and we inevitably lose ground. Whatever you say about Sexton, I don't think we ever see him play this deep.

542683.png

Why mention anything at all anyway then?

No one cares whose in the know.

Because I thought you guys would like to know.

• Advertisement

Damn..someone’s mad. Cj Stander will be a good captain

There you go.

Was that so hard?

Anyway. Congrats. You've made a very exclusive list of mine....

Wont be seeing you (although I can't see a poster of your "caliber" lasting too long...)

There you go.

Was that so hard?

Wont be seeing you (although I can't see a poster of your "caliber" lasting too long...)

Huh? Someone’s mad. Did I touch a nerve?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Because I thought you guys would like to know.

You thought we'd like to know that you're in the know?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

He’s not an English reject he was in English camp when he was 18. He chose to play for Scotland because his Dad played for Scotland. It probably would have just taken him longer to break into the English team that’s all.

The argument is the same - if he was that good he would've gotten capped for England

For what it's worth, I agree on the influence of his father and the faster breakthrough he would get with Scotland. I'm more commenting on the way people have been going on about Burns than making any comment on Redpath. I also appreciate that Redpath is probably a better player.

aloooof wrote: »
    You thought we'd like to know that you're in the know?? :confused:

Ok I won’t mention anything about his injury or any other player. Just thought you guys would be curious if he’s able to play this weekend.

The argument is the same - if he was that good he would've gotten capped for England

For what it's worth, I agree on the influence of his father and the faster breakthrough he would get with Scotland. I'm more commenting on the way people have been going on about Burns than making any comment on Redpath. I also appreciate that Redpath is probably a better player.

And Redpath has only just turned 21. Burns is 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

And Redpath has only just turned 21. Burns is 26.

Jesus that's true. The lads been around forever I thought he was 23 or 24. My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Why call up Byrne now and not have him included in the original squad?

Disappointed for Coombes

There you go.

Was that so hard?

I don’t know why you get so mad :( I wasn’t even replying to you or maybe you have two different accounts? Don’t get triggered when I just think there’s no chance of Herring being captain. Someone’s sensitive :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don’t think we necessarily can’t have an overpowering pack. I could easily see a very successful side with him at 10 playing the Morne Steyn role. Can only imagine the anguish that would cause the rugby aestheticians, but I could see it winning (especially if our defense is as dominant as some Farrell coached sides have been, like that Lions tour).

Our pack would need to improve, but it’s not impossible to see the path from here to there, you can see the players who would be in all those positions and there’s no doubt there’s talent there.

Sure, we could but as things stand we don't. If things change then the discussion around Byrne might change - which is grand as he is not going anywhere.
    Not in Europe... In France they tend to get parity and in those games Byrne looked more than up to it, this is the weakest excuse out there.

Here’s a question genius, how do you get better at test level? A. Sitting in the stands or B. Playing matches?

When I said earlier about not being resourceful this is what I meant...

The Leinster pack is better than every single pack at club level except Saracens.

RB could get 100 caps - he is never going to get faster or more dynamic.

Advertisement