Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    Because I thought you guys would like to know.

Interesting
    It's no harm if Ryan sat out the Italy game just to be safe.

I would introduce 3 wk mandatory period for every player on concussion return to play protocols.
    The 24hr and no symptoms and onto the next stage is not fit for purpose. (It doesn't protect the player from himself)
    Each stage on should be at least 72 hours.

CJ would also get my vote as captain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Interesting

I would introduce 3 wk mandatory period for every player on concussion return to play protocols.
    The 24hr and no symptoms and onto the next stage is not fit for purpose.

The 3 week mandatory rest period existed and was replaced for multiple good reasons.

While acknowledging there is always room for improvement, maybe leave this one to the doctors?

You misunderstand my post professor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Interesting

3 weeks exists at amateur level(and its longer than 3 weeks for under 18s) where players dont have medics working with them on full time basis etc.
    I do think we should leave it to professionals who know better

Would like CJ as captain but its not a major issue who that is

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Interesting

It’s also a bit of a joke and makes no sense the way in professional rugby it’s 7 days you can return to playing a match after failing a HIA. It should be 3 weeks before you’re allowed to return to training like it is at every other level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don’t know why you get so mad :( I wasn’t even replying to you or maybe you have two different accounts? Don’t get triggered when I just think there’s no chance of Herring being captain. Someone’s sensitive :)

Join date Feb 2021.
    Accuses other poster of having 2 accounts.

You'd know it's 6 Nations time, lads, the hits keep coming!

It’s also a bit of a joke and makes no sense the way in professional rugby it’s 7 days you can return to playing a match after failing a HIA. It should be 3 weeks before you’re allowed to return to training like it is at every other level.

Exactly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You can return to playing if you progress through the protocols

You can also end up missing 12 weeks such as Sexton did back in the day.

Because they are using actual medical data as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach.

3 weeks exists at amateur level(and its longer than 3 weeks for under 18s) where players dont have medics working with them on full time basis etc.

Doctors say it’s a load of rubbish the way it’s 7 days when you’re allowed to play a match after failing a HIA. The professionals who know better say it makes no sense the way you can return to contact so soon after failing a HIA.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    You can return to playing if you progress through the protocols

You can also end up missing 12 weeks such as Sexton did back in the day.

Because they are using actual medical data as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach.

have a read
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/playing-the-game/medical/irfu-concussion-protocols/

& reread my post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Conan called up according to Newstalk

The professional players don’t have different brains to the amateurs. It should still be minimum of 3 weeks after failing a HIA no matter what level.

One to watch for at the weekend

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1359064837083574276?s=20

Dupont is going to run amok. Again. Unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

VANG1 wrote: »
    Conan called up according to Newstalk

Posted a few pages back on Irishrugby.ie. Ed Byrne also in the squad after providing cover at the weekend. Baird stays while Coombes returns to Munster.

Why is Coombes going back?
    Was he only called up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sure, we could but as things stand we don't. If things change then the discussion around Byrne might change - which is grand as he is not going anywhere.

The Leinster pack is better than every single pack at club level except Saracens.

RB could get 100 caps - he is never going to get faster or more dynamic.

On paper yes but in games against French opposition things can get tight upfront.

We don’t need him to be, we need him to be him. This is where being resourceful comes in, when you want every 10 to play like Sexton you are going to be disappointed with every 10 that isn’t Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

aloooof wrote: »
    I fired up the Autumn Nations Cup game and it took me 37 seconds into the game to find this image. Byrne passes it onto O'Mahony and we inevitably lose ground. Whatever you say about Sexton, I don't think we ever see him play this deep.

542683.png

When you look at the state of that ruck are you really surprised? Literally no England players committed to the ruck and are all gunning for Byrne, what do you expect him to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The professional players don’t have different brains to the amateurs. It should still be minimum of 3 weeks after failing a HIA no matter what level.
    The experts think different. Pros have docs with them at every game. Amateurs dont. They can get completely different treatment in terms of how quick they get it. They can be treated differently.

Maybe the coaches told him to stand there? They are on the sidelines miked up, they could easily got him to go flatter like he plays for Leinster. It’s not always down to the players, good coaches win games by directing the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

VANG1 wrote: »
    Maybe the coaches told him to stand there? They are on the sidelines miked up, they could easily got him to go flatter like he plays for Leinster. It’s not always down to the players, good coaches win games by directing the players.
    Players are mic'd up now? When did that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Why call up Coombes last week to provide cover for the backrow and then when that cover is actually needed send him home and call up someone else instead.

I get the whole exposing them to the system, take a look at them stuff but to me that is very poor optics from the management and why doesn't that stuff apply this week? you could easily have called Conan up as cover and still kept Coombes in the squad.
    I'm gutted for him to not be given his chance this week to push for a place (however unlikely he was going to get one)

The experts think different. Pros have docs with them at every game. Amateurs dont. They can get completely different treatment in terms of how quick they get it. They can be treated differently.

There is doctors at every amateur game. Every schools rugby match there’s doctors. Same with Ail and u20s. The experts don’t think different I know a consultant surgeon who said that 7 day return to protocol rule is rubbish he said it should be 3 weeks for every level. The amateurs get the exact same treatment in terms of how quick they get it. If you fail a HIA and then fail another HIA a week later it’s only gonna make your symptoms a lot worse. Look at Caelan Doris now

Coombes must be injured
    I thought hed bench v Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There is doctors at every amateur game. Every schools rugby match there’s doctors. Same with Ail and u20s. The experts don’t think different I know a consultant surgeon who said that 7 day return to protocol rule is rubbish he said it should be 3 weeks for every level. The amateurs get the exact same treatment in terms of how quick they get it. If you fail a HIA and then fail another HIA a week later it’s only gonna make your symptoms a lot worse. Look at Caelan Doris now

I thought you weren't allowed say anything about Doris as it was confidential?

I thought you weren't allowed say anything about Doris as it was confidential?

You’re right I didn’t say anything about him. I said look at him now he’s out injured I didn’t mention if his concussion was severe or not. I also didn’t go into any detail about it.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Players are mic'd up now? When did that happen?

Very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Does Conans call up suggest CJ to blindside and Conan straight in to 8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve played dozens of matches with no doctor present and it doesn’t get much more amateur than the games I played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

molloyjh wrote: »
    Exactly as we are. We moved 1 young 10 to Munster to get game time. He's still young enough to be in play for the RWC. We have Harry Byrne developing at Leinster who was unlucky to miss out on his first European start in Dec. He's obviously being looked at very seriously by both Leinster and Ireland (he's been training with Ireland a couple of times now). He just needs to show he can make that step up. Things could happen every bit as quickly for him as they did for Joey once he does that.

At Munster we also have Ben Healy and Jack Crawley, the former just making his break through and the latter whom I've heard some very positive stuff about. One of them may need to move potentially but they are both young guys who could have a future in the next year or two.

We need a number 10 and 9 to start the World Cup with numerous caps and meaningful game time. (not off the bench)
    Now is the time, 2023 is coming up fast. Coaches need to invest in younger players, whoever they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Does Conans call up suggest CJ to blindside and Conan straight in to 8

Don't see Conan straight into the team but it's a possibility. I hope Ruddock just comes in at 6.

Advertisement