Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

If we are in a position where POM comes straight back into the team vs England then that will be because the other backrows haven't performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ruddock starting this weekend should not be dependent on Ryan's availability. He must be in the team at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

yerrahbah wrote: »
    If we are in a position where POM comes straight back into the team vs England then that will be because the other backrows haven't performed.

Good one. He'll be straight back in because that is just how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'll be interested see if the next player to get sent off gets the same level of wanted banishment on here

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

leakyboots wrote: »
    I'll be interested see if the next player to get sent off gets the same level of wanted banishment on here

It’s just complete frustration and completely justified. Every one of us enjoys POM being a **** house as much as everyone but he consistently does something completely brainless because he develops red mist for whatever reason.

I don’t believe for one second he went out to hit Francis in the face, but he went to do someone.

Take that coupled with his patchy form and people are going to have had enough. How many chances will he get that others won’t?

A three match ban for that is a disgrace btw. If World Rugby is serious about eradicating head shots then they need to do a lot better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats the evidence that he's a worse player than Billy Burns or Ross Byrne?

They’ve both played international rugby recently and he hasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Been pretty disgusted with it to be honest. Undisguised glee, both here and elsewhere, at someone else's misfortune (entirely self inflicted though it may have been).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

POM back for the English game then - that'll be a big boost

I'm actually very confused about this. He's banned for three meaningful games but isn't available until the 15th March despite the fact that Munster play on both 6 Nations rest weekends.

So technically he should be availble to play for Munster against Connacht on March 4th as he'd have missed two Ireland games and a Munster game.

Are the 6 Nations saying that the Pro14 isn't a meaningful competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Since the last one was Willie Duggan back in 1977, you'll be waiting a while. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Since the last one was Willie Duggan back in 1977, you'll be waiting a while. :D

To be fair, he didn’t say last player to be sent off in the 5 nations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats the evidence that he's a worse player than Billy Burns or Ross Byrne?

Madigan has never managed to nail down the 10 jersey for any of the teams hes played for in his 12 year career.

Granted, R.Byrne hasnt nailed down the Leinster 10 jersey but he has started and bossed huge european games and pro14 semi finals and finals on multiple occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'm actually very confused about this. He's banned for three meaningful games but isn't available until the 15th March despite the fact that Munster play on both 6 Nations rest weekends.

So technically he should be availble to play for Munster against Connacht on March 4th as he'd have missed two Ireland games and a Munster game.

Are the 6 Nations saying that the Pro14 isn't a meaningful competition?

RTE news at 6 were saying it's a 5 week ban..

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

TRC10 wrote: »
    This argument is spectacularly stupid because there are dozens of brilliant players who dont/never got a look in for England. The current European player of the year cant get a look in for England. Last seasons Heineken Cup winning out half and captain hasnt been capped by England. So I suppose by your logic they "aren't good enough".

You can probably make a strong argument that Burns isnt international quality. But if that's the case then Sexton isnt international quality either because theres nothing ive seen from sexton in the last 2 years to suggest hes any better.

No matter what out half we field, we will suffer. So why not suffer short term with the 21 year old who has bags of potential, rather than suffer on with the 36 year old who is only getting worse and has gone of injured in 6 of the 9 games hes played this season.

Who cares about the pecking order at a province who has a completely different agenda to Ireland. Players have literally played for ireland before they've played for their province. Because we're not winning anything with any of our out halfs this season.

You come across as a bit of an ass but I have to agree with you on some points, Sexton is no longer any better than average and we are looking at 5th place in the 6 nations this year so why not use the opportunity to build for the WC... your point on billy burns is spectacularly stupid, if he’s not good enough for England why should he be good enough for us? How are we expected to beat England with that sort of defeatist attitude and who’s to say England are picking the right people anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

To be fair, he didn’t say last player to be sent off in the 5 nations

Aki sent off in world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I was referring to any sending off, but it is a bit mad the last Five/Six Nations red card for us was that far back. I'd bet the house the next Six Nations one will be a lot sooner

You come across as a bit of an ass but I have to agree with you on some points, Sexton is no longer any better than average and we are looking at 5th place in the 6 nations this year so why not use the opportunity to build for the WC... your point on billy burns is spectacularly stupid, if he’s not good enough for England why should he be good enough for us? How are we expected to beat England with that sort of defeatist attitude and who’s to say England are picking the right people anyway

I didn't say he wasnt good enough for England, but there are people here saying the fact that he wasnt picked by England means he isnt a good player, which I think you will agree is nonsense. Because as I said there are dozens of players who are clearly international quality, who weren't picked by England. It doesn't mean they aren't international quality.

And I'm sorry you think I'm an ass.

Who was that English center who got emptied by Henson in 2005, Tait?

Could argue Luke suffered physically from coming thru too soon, but that's less of an issue nowadays, given the improvement in sports science

Yea that Tait hit from Henson was unreal and he literally carried tait with one arm for a few meters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I didn't say he wasnt good enough for England, but there are people here saying the fact that he wasnt picked by England means he isnt a good player, which I think you will agree is nonsense. Because as I said there are dozens of players who are clearly international quality, who weren't picked by England. It doesn't mean they aren't international quality.

Totally agree with this, the last 2 European players of the Year have had very little international game time.

And I'm sorry you think I'm an ass.

Yes but if you turn it the other way, if day Harry Byrne went to England they wouldn’t look at him and would concentrate on looking at their own firstly, why aren’t we doing the same? Fair enough if burns was outstanding and clearly better than all other fly halves but he’s absolutely not so why not stick with what we have

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

RTE news at 6 were saying it's a 5 week ban..
    Technically correct, but it makes zero sense when the official statement said 6 weeks reduced to 3.
    I can understand the he has to miss 3 matches, but he's eligible to play for Munster, so it's actually a 5 week/match ban rather than a 3 week/match ban as they've stated.
    The disciplinary commission can't decide that the Pro14 isn't a meaningful competition.

• Advertisement

Yes but if you turn it the other way, if day Harry Byrne went to England they wouldn’t look at him and would concentrate on looking at their own firstly, why aren’t we doing the same? Fair enough if burns was outstanding and clearly better than all other fly halves but he’s absolutely not so why not stick with what we have

Harry Byrne isnt English qualified. If we was, and was playing in England, I guarantee you they would look at him.

Anything to be said for having Rory Scannell in the squad? He can play 10, maybe we should be taking the approach we took when ROG was in his prime and paddy Wallace was the 22 as he could play Centre and we did that until Sexton came along, if people are saying H Byrne is the next big thing, why are we wasting time on capping burns when we should use a cover player until HByrne is properly ready

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Hesitant to even respond to this but... what do you mean by "their own"? Billy Burns isn't a project player, he qualifies through his grandmother.

Or would you prefer a list of project players England have used to refute this?

Harry Byrne isnt English qualified. If we was, and was playing in England, I guarantee you they would look at him.

Not true, they didn’t properly entertain Callum Sheedy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Anything to be said for having Rory Scannell in the squad? He can play 10, maybe we should be taking the approach we took when ROG was in his prime and paddy Wallace was the 22 as he could play Centre and we did that until Sexton came along, if people are saying H Byrne is the next big thing, why are we wasting time on capping burns when we should use a cover player until HByrne is properly ready

Hasnt played 10 in ages or much consistently in the pro game. Hasnt performed that well for Munster

Not true, they didn’t properly entertain Callum Sheedy

You said would they "look at him". They did look at Sheedy. He literally played for England.

aloooof wrote: »
    Hesitant to even respond to this but... what do you mean by "their own"? Billy Burns isn't a project player, he qualifies through his grandmother.

Or would you prefer a list of project players England have used to refute this?

Hesitant to respond to this but project players make sense if we have a problem with a position, stander, aki not Gibson Park, why play a lad just because his granny is from cork?

You said would they "look at him". They did look at Sheedy. He literally played for England.

I said they didn’t properly entertain him, look where he is now

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Should we not just have an aul pray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

This is tough reading

Advertisement