Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I said they didn’t properly entertain him, look where he is now

Your original point was they wouldnt "look at him" now you're saying "properly entertain" (which could mean anything).

Stop going back and changing what you say when I debunk you're arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Should we not just have an aul pray?

Going to need it next Sunday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Hesitant to respond to this but project players make sense if we have a problem with a position, stander, aki not Gibson Park, why play a lad just because his granny is from cork?

They're playing him because they think he's the best option. You disagree. But it's got nothing to do with whether he's one of "our own" or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Going to need it next Sunday

You still have time to get her flowers and a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

TRC10 wrote: »
    Harry Byrne isnt English qualified. If we was, and was playing in England, I guarantee you they would look at him.

England have Marcus Smith, the best young outhalf talent in the UK and Ireland, playing for Quins. He was starting at 10 in the Champions Cup for them at 18 and has a significant body of experience now at 21.

Zero England caps.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    They're playing him because they think he's the best option. You disagree. But it's got nothing to do with whether he's one of "our own" or not.

Well if they are playing him because they think he’s the best option then we need to talk about Farrell because anyone can see he’s not
    A few years back geordan Murphy missed a tackle against France that resulted in a try, he was subsequently dropped from the squad by o Sullivan I hope Farrell doesn’t shy away from doing the same with burns

Well if they are playing him because they think he’s the best option then we need to talk about Farrell because anyone can see he’s not
    A few years back geordan Murphy missed a tackle against France that resulted in a try, he was subsequently dropped from the squad by o Sullivan I hope Farrell doesn’t shy away from doing the same with burns

Who said anything about playing him? Of course Harry Byrne wouldn't be playing for England. You said they wouldnt even look at him. And I'm telling you they would, if he was English qualified.

Who said anything about playing him? Of course Harry Byrne wouldn't be playing for England. You said they wouldnt even look at him. And I'm telling you they would, if he was English qualified.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Buer wrote: »
    England have Marcus Smith, the best young outhalf talent in the UK and Ireland, playing for Quins. He was starting at 10 in the Champions Cup for them at 18 and has a significant body of experience now at 21.

Zero England caps.

Hardly the best out half when he lost to Ireland u20s. Him and all the other English players were out played by the Ireland u20s. Our u20 team literally proved the past two years that Ireland have the best young talent in Europe. Jack Crowley, Harry Byrne and David Hawkshaw are all better players than Marcus Smith. They even proved it. And the reason why he’s not in the England team is because Eddie Jones says he wants to stick with the same team he has for the next while. That’s why I think Redpath chose to play for Scotland for he’ll break through quicker. I couldn’t be prouder of our u20s as they’ve proved we have the best talent in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Burns isn’t a “project player”, i.e. a banger brought in from the Southern Hemisphere to game the residency rule and make a few bob.

But I get the point that people are making. We have our own indigenous talent here like Harry Byrne that needs to be nurtured and given a platform.

It kind of comes down to pride and being confident about our stature in the game. We shouldn’t be importing the RFU’s rejects. If Burns was good enough, he’d have progressed from England’s Under 20s. If he wasn’t good enough for England, he’s not good enough for us. Whatever one’s politics are, the guy isn’t Irish, so notwithstanding the rules there should be a higher hurdle for him playing for us. Unless he’s far better than our own indigenous players, he shouldn’t be in there.

• Advertisement

Zero England caps.

Yes, and been looked at extensively for the last 3 years. Involved in training squads, played against the barbarians etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    Hardly the best out half when he lost to Ireland u20s. Him and all the other English players were out played by the Ireland u20s. Our u20 team literally proved the past two years that Ireland have the best young talent in Europe. Jack Crowley, Harry Byrne and David Hawkshaw are all better players than Marcus Smith. They even proved it. And the reason why he’s not in the England team is because Eddie Jones says he wants to stick with the same team he has for the next while. That’s why I think Redpath chose to play for Scotland for he’ll break through quicker. I couldn’t be prouder of our u20s as they’ve proved we have the best talent in Europe.

No theyre not all better than Smith who nearly has 100 appearances for Quins and he only turns 22 next week. You are not a better player simply because your team won especially when you are talking about age grade games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Billy Burns won a u20 World Cup at 10, so should we install him for the next 4 years?

Burns isn’t a “project player”, i.e. a banger brought in from the Southern Hemisphere to game the residency rule and make a few bob.

But I get the point that people are making. We have our own indigenous talent here like Harry Byrne that needs to be nurtured and given a platform.

It kind of comes down to pride and being confident about our stature in the game. We shouldn’t be importing the RFU’s rejects. If Burns was good enough, he’d have progressed from England’s Under 20s. If he wasn’t good enough for England, he’s not good enough for us. Whatever one’s politics are, the guy isn’t Irish, so notwithstanding the rules there should be a higher hurdle for him playing for us. Unless he’s far better than our own indigenous players, he shouldn’t be in there.

Facts

Billy Burns won a u20 World Cup at 10, so should we install him for the next 4 years?

No he’s too old and got rejected by England

No he’s too old and got rejected by England

This whole "rejected by england" thing is utter BS. Theres a difference between not getting capped for england, and being "rejected" but these people with an anti-burns agenda simply because hes an import, dont want to acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yes, and been looked at extensively for the last 3 years. Involved in training squads, played against the barbarians etc.

If being involved in training squads is your criteria for being looked at, Ireland have been looking at Harry Byrne too given he was in the training squad over a year ago and again in the autumn.

If being involved in training squads is your criteria for being looked at, Ireland have been looking at Harry Byrne too given he was in the training squad over a year ago and again in the autumn.

I agree...

Semantics.

Analagous to me claiming that I wasn’t rejected by the Lions.

The bottom line is that I wasn’t good enough to play for them.

Burns was rejected by England in that he was an Under 20 international who they looked at and said “nah”. The boy was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

This whole "rejected by england" thing is utter BS. Theres a difference between not getting capped for england, and being "rejected" but these people with an anti-burns agenda simply because hes an import, dont want to acknowledge that.

..............and being an English import only fuels this mentality. Very sad.

• Advertisement

Semantics.

Analagous to me claiming that I wasn’t rejected by the Lions.

The bottom line is that I wasn’t good enough to play for them.

Burns was rejected by England in that he was an Under 20 international who they looked at and said “nah”. The boy was rejected.

You're right, you weren't rejected by the Lions. Same way burns wasnt rejected by England.

And that's not how international selection works. Players dont get selected straight from u20s so saying they looked at him and said nah is disingenuous.

You're right, you weren't rejected by the Lions. Same way burns wasnt rejected by England.

Not quite TRC10.

Billy Burns played Under 20s for England. The RFU chose not to pick him for the senior set-up.

He was rejected by England.

Not quite TRC10.

Billy Burns played Under 20s for England. The RFU chose not to pick him for the senior set-up.

He was rejected by England.

"Wasnt picked" does not equal "rejected"

You insist on using the term "rejected" because you have an agenda against Burns. You wouldnt call Cian Kelleher , tom daly or tom farrell Ireland rejects.

And that's not how international selection works. Players dont get selected straight from u20s so saying they looked at him and said nah is disingenuous.

They did look at him because he also played many years for Gloucester after that but then got dropped from the Gloucester starting team because Danny Cipriani was ahead of him. He simply wasn’t good enough to play for England

You insist on using the term "rejected" because you have an agenda against Burns. You wouldnt call Cian Kelleher , tom daly or tom farrell Ireland rejects.

He still wasn’t good enough lol

They are Ireland rejects. They’ve been here for a while and still can’t get into the Irish team.

He still wasn’t good enough lol

I agree he wasnt good enough. And he is irelands 2nd best out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

This Burns discussion is getting boring and borderline ridiculous. Just reminds me why I don’t post on boards.ie very often. The guy left the country of his birth and upped sticks. He plays for Ulster, he is eligible for Ireland, and ANY player that pulls on the green deserves our full respect and support. End of.

I agree he wasnt good enough. And he is irelands 2nd best out half.

I burst out laughing when I read you say he’s Ireland’s 2nd best out half. I can name plenty of Irish Qualified out halves better than him. Paddy Jackson is Ireland’s best Irish Qualified out half even all the pundits on BT sport said it. Harry Byrne wouldn’t of missed that kick to touch. Burns isn’t even first choice kicker for Ulster. H Byrne is a better kicker than Burns. End of discussion

• Advertisement

I burst out laughing when I read you say he’s Ireland’s 2nd best out half. I can name plenty of Irish Qualified out halves better than him. Paddy Jackson is Ireland’s best Irish Qualified out half even all the pundits on BT sport said it. Harry Byrne wouldn’t of missed that kick to touch. Burns isn’t even first choice kicker for Ulster. H Byrne is a better kicker than Burns. End of discussion

I'm trying to figure out where I said Burns is irelands 2nd best kicker.

Paddy Jackson isnt playing for ireland ever again, forget about it.

How do you know H.Byrne wouldnt have missed that kick. If H.Byrne DID miss that kick, youd probably be saying Burns wouldnt have missed it.

Advertisement