Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

TRC10 wrote: »
    I agree he wasnt good enough. And he is irelands 2nd best out half.

“And he is irelands 2nd best out half”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    I burst out laughing when I read you say he’s Ireland’s 2nd best out half. I can name plenty of Irish Qualified out halves better than him. Paddy Jackson is Ireland’s best Irish Qualified out half even all the pundits on BT sport said it. Harry Byrne wouldn’t of missed that kick to touch. Burns isn’t even first choice kicker for Ulster. H Byrne is a better kicker than Burns. End of discussion

Something we can agree on. ;) Paddy Jackson. He is now better than Johnny Sexton IMHO. It’s so awful how things have turned out. His development stalled for obvious reasons, but he is showing his true worth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Burns isn’t a “project player”, i.e. a banger brought in from the Southern Hemisphere to game the residency rule and make a few bob.

But I get the point that people are making. We have our own indigenous talent here like Harry Byrne that needs to be nurtured and given a platform.

It kind of comes down to pride and being confident about our stature in the game. We shouldn’t be importing the RFU’s rejects. If Burns was good enough, he’d have progressed from England’s Under 20s. If he wasn’t good enough for England, he’s not good enough for us. Whatever one’s politics are, the guy isn’t Irish, so notwithstanding the rules there should be a higher hurdle for him playing for us. Unless he’s far better than our own indigenous players, he shouldn’t be in there.

Thank you, finally someone talking sense

I'm trying to figure out where I said Burns is irelands 2nd best kicker.

Paddy Jackson isnt playing for ireland ever again, forget about it.

How do you know H.Byrne wouldnt have missed that kick. If H.Byrne DID miss that kick, youd probably be saying Burns wouldnt have missed it.

Must be tough on Paddy. He’s a good guy and a good player. Low key feel bad for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Must be tough on Paddy. He’s a good guy and a good player. Low key feel bad for him.

Beginning to think you're a troll.

• Advertisement

Hardly the best out half when he lost to Ireland u20s. Him and all the other English players were out played by the Ireland u20s. Our u20 team literally proved the past two years that Ireland have the best young talent in Europe. Jack Crowley, Harry Byrne and David Hawkshaw are all better players than Marcus Smith. They even proved it. And the reason why he’s not in the England team is because Eddie Jones says he wants to stick with the same team he has for the next while. That’s why I think Redpath chose to play for Scotland for he’ll break through quicker. I couldn’t be prouder of our u20s as they’ve proved we have the best talent in Europe.

Surely France winning two consecutive U20 world cups in 2018 and 2019 mean that they have the best talent in Europe

I'm trying to figure out where I said Burns is irelands 2nd best kicker.

Paddy Jackson isnt playing for ireland ever again, forget about it.

How do you know H.Byrne wouldnt have missed that kick. If H.Byrne DID miss that kick, youd probably be saying Burns wouldnt have missed it.
    Actually that is true H Byrne could of missed that kick. Wouldn’t be surprised as he played for bottlers rfc Aka St Michael’s college so you’re right I wouldn’t of been surprised if H Byrne missed that kick. I wasn't surprised Burns missed the kick to touch either before he took the kick I was laughing saying “imagine he kicks it dead I wouldn’t even be surprised knowing our luck” and then Burns kicks it dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

He wasn't picked. He was brought in to train last week. They're not the same thing.

Its a tough one, they've gone with Jack Conan who has some international experience but as such is unproven at international level. Seems as if Conan was fit over the last few weeks he would have been the one to be training with the squad and Coombes at Munster.

I am a big advocate of Coombes but think it'll be the autumn before he's capped. He's established himself as a starter for Munster now and a few big performances would put him in contention for a squad place from now on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

“And he is irelands 2nd best out half”.

You claim to be this super knowledgeable person who has played professionally/highest level of the amateur game and you can't even tell the difference between a kicker and an out half.

glasso wrote: »
    Surely France winning two consecutive U20 world cups in 2018 and 2019 mean that they have the best talent in Europe

Funny you say that when we beat them in the Six Nations and we would of beat them in the World Cup but half our team was injured as it usually is in the u20 World Cup. Our u20s would have won the World Cup that year if we had a full strength team so don’t say France are better. Ireland have the best talent we’re just not playing them.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    You claim to be this super knowledgeable person who has played professionally/highest level of the amateur game and you can't even tell the difference between a kicker and an out half.

I do know the difference. H Byrne is also better at controlling the game in my opinion. He’s a better 10 in general

Faugheen wrote: »

Judging by his language and him calling st Michaels "bottlers rfc". I'd say hes 13. Leave him be, it's his bed time in half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Harry Byrne should start at 10 with Ben Healy on the bench. Time to rip off the plaster and squeeze the puss filled cyst that is Johnny Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

No theyre not all better than Smith who nearly has 100 appearances for Quins and he only turns 22 next week. You are not a better player simply because your team won especially when you are talking about age grade games.

That would be impressive until you said Quins.

Judging by his language and him calling st Michaels "bottlers rfc". I'd say hes 13. Leave him be, it's his bed time in half an hour.

I’m four years out of school mate. Everyone my age refers to St Michael’s as bottlers. Don’t cry about it. Also if I was 13 my grammar wouldn’t be this good. End of conversation because the moderators don’t like us talking about this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hahaha stop it, it’s only Tuesday. We need to build into the nonsense more cautiously or the infrastructure won’t be able to support it

I’m four years out of school mate. Everyone my age refers to St Michael’s as bottlers. Don’t cry about it. Also if I was 13 my grammar wouldn’t be this good. End of conversation because the moderators don’t like us talking about this kind of stuff.

I hope for your sake you're not 4 years out of school. I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

4387243-red-ignore-button.jpg

Funny you say that when we beat them in the Six Nations and we would of beat them in the World Cup but half our team was injured as it usually is in the u20 World Cup. Our u20s would have won the World Cup that year if we had a full strength team so don’t say France are better. Ireland have the best talent we’re just not playing them.

well in fairness that's because the best French u20's were already in the senior six nations squad in 2019 so they couldn't play the u20 six nations, but could play the u20 world cup in the summer (won 2018 and 2019 worlds)

that player availability issue would never apply to Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Has anyone actually seen PJ play for Lirish recently? Is he actually playing that well - or are we judging him off pre-trial form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Also if I was 13 my grammar wouldn’t be this good.

It's a pity you didn't listen better in school.

It's "would have" and not "would of" as in Harry Byrne would have made that kick and not Harry Byrne would of made that kick.

mfceiling wrote: »
    It's a pity you didn't listen better in school.

It's "would have" and not "would of" as in Harry Byrne would have made that kick and not Harry Byrne would of made that kick.

Apologies my bad. I usually don’t make that mistake but unfortunately I messed up on that occasion. I’m sorry. I definitely won’t make that mistake again. I did listen in school and know the correct grammar I was just rushing when I was typing which is why I made that mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Has anyone actually seen PJ play for Lirish recently? Is he actually playing that well - or are we judging him off pre-trial form?

He is playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

well in fairness that's because the best French u20's were already in the senior six nations squad in 2019 so they couldn't play the u20 six nations, but could play the u20 world cup in the summer (won 2018 and 2019 worlds)

that player availability issue would never apply to Ireland :D

Also, in the six nations a lot of English players aren't released as they have to play in the premiership. I recall the commentator saying how many when u20 played them. I don't remember the number but it was a lot.

Also, in the six nations a lot of English players aren't released as they have to play in the premiership. I recall the commentator saying how many when u20 played them. I don't remember the number but it was a lot.

Marcus Smith and Redpath played that game against Ireland in the 2019 six nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

The team’s in 2019 were pretty much fully stacked in the 6N. I know England were for sure and France were minus David Taufinua (racing winger) but other than that the vast majority played in the JWC final and on the flip side in the France game Ireland were down the likes of Hawkshaw, Moore, H.Byrne, Baird just coming back from injury, Allison etc.

The big French team was the 2018 one which was probably the best NH u20 side ever and I feel the experience may have helped the 2019 group as while that was a very talented group I don’t think it was a million miles better than previous French u20s sides but in what was a very wide open World Cup they did just enough to get over the line.

Darcy addresses the 10 succussion "planning" / development and draws a direct parallel between N'tamack and Harry Byrne at the same age

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gordon-d-arcy-ireland-s-lack-of-succession-planning-at-no-10-an-indictment-of-the-system-1.4480459?mode=amp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Darcy addresses the 10 succussion "planning" / development and draws a direct parallel between N'tamack and Harry Byrne at the same age

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gordon-d-arcy-ireland-s-lack-of-succession-planning-at-no-10-an-indictment-of-the-system-1.4480459?mode=amp

A really good piece by the Darce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

A really good piece by the Darce

He's late to the party.
    All of those points were self evident after France game in October (10, gameplan, selection mistakes)

The fact Farrell continued into a meaningless Autumn cup and still selected Healy, Sexton, Earls & Murray was a serious selection error and lack of vision.

More minutes should have been given to Burns & Ross Byrne and it would have been more evident that those players are not up to that level.

Zero minutes were given to Carty, Marmion or Blade. Never mind Harry Byrne and Casey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

There are amazing backs coming through at Leinster but they are blocked by what is now the Irish back line. It’s a glass ceiling. Hard to see that they can fully develop.

Advertisement