Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think Australia are still the best shout for a team from the other side of the draw to make the final. They've got a lot of quality in their team, front row notwithstanding, and they've consistently beaten the other teams on that side. They're also capable of beating anyone else in a knock out setting, as they've shown many times previously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I somewhat agree, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't find any loss in the QF utterly unbearable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Oh I agree , I'd be inconsolable but I'd get over it a bit quicker if I could say "At least we played really well" unlike every other World-Cup so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

We peaked last year in NZ. We were on our way to being found out that Autumn where we were mediocre and made hard work of beating even Australia and were fully figured out and a nervous wreck against a dreadful England side in 6n. We haven't evolved and our game isn't good enough to compensate for the mental fragility we bring to every world cup. Throw in learning no lessons from the past by still relying on a Sexton who's pushing 40 and hasn't played in forever and a QF exit looms, with a pool exit a very real possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

A pool exit and they may as well all retire from international rugby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

LOL. About the only reasonable response.

For the record, ours was the most dominant 6N win in history (argument to be made for 2003 I'll grant you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We peaked in NZ but won a Grand Slam? Do you realize how ridiculous that is. Even though that’s probably the most sensible part of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Australia were going solidly under Rennie but they're in serious trouble now. 4/4 defeats under Eddie Jones, a different captain every game, almost all the experienced players tossed aside and now a very inexperienced side with some never even capped going to the RWC.

It's a squad in complete disarray and I'm looking forward to see how far they can sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Injury free game is what I most want.

Second most want is beat England physically. Forget the fancy moves, just make them puke with exertion and on the back foot all the time.

The set moves can wait until the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Serious question, do you enjoy rugby? I’m finding your negativity of the Irish team hard to understand, maybe you are a fan of a different team and that is colouring your view? Ireland are going through a period of unprecedented success, you seem to be missing out on all the fun of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Looking at the Samoa game I would prob expect to see another strong squad named which will replicate the team named against Tonga. Then I would like to see rotation against Romania for squad morale more so rather than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

There's critical thinkers and then there's contrarians. Contrarians always seem to think they are the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Musicrules

With France's injury news, I have us as very warm favourites now. New Zealand are **** scared of us. We battered them mentally last year. I'm ruling out South Africa, England and Australia. They are poor teams. This world cup is in our hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

So "ultimately be remembered for how it performs at the world cup"? Hyberbolic nonsense.

Eh, not it's not. Every team is ultimately remembered for how it performs at the World Cup, on the biggest stage where the opposition is toughest as it's what everyone builds towards.

Would the English '03 team that won a grand slam and won in NZ be remembered as one of the great teams if they hadn't won the World Cup? Of course not.

The 2011-15 New Zealand team is regarded as arguably the best rugby team of all time. Would they be viewed in that manner had they not won a World Cup?. Obviously not.

Does anybody care or even remember that NZ won the Tri Nations in 2007? Nope, because SA won the World Cup.

The reality is that tier one nations are ultimately judged on World Cup performance. And if Ireland don't at least get past the quarter finals this year, those great achievements over the last couple of years will just be viewed by the rest of the world as Ireland peaking too early again. That's just the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I don’t care about the scores at all. They’ll be forgotten immediately. The most important result is getting everyone back safe and sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

For as long as I can remember Ireland have peaked in the year or two before the world cup and go in with huge expectations.

The Scotland and South Africa games could go either way if Ireland aren't mentally 100%. If Ireland go behind at any stage you could see doubts creep in.

Its great to be world no 1, but means little in the context of a world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its a very similar South Africa team to 4 years ago. They are by no means brilliant but they certainly know how to win World Cup games. Don't think we can afford to write them or Scotland off just as we shouldn't have written Japan or Argentina off in previous world cups.

Form seems to mostly go out the window when it comes to Rugby World Cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

In 2019 there was a hope that the team would evolve or find ways to improve after a poor 6n. This time around its very different. There isn't major concerns over how the team performs generally on the back of the 6n.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The team that played Italy plus a few changes should play Romania, then close to the same 23 that will be lined up to play South Africa should play Tonga with a few players benching against Tonga that will be starting against South Africa, and keeping a few back for South Africa. I have Lowe, Beirne and Doris sitting out the Tonga match to be fresh for South Africa, but could equally start them against Tonga, particularly Lowe, or maybe start Lowe against Romania and rest him against Tonga and push O'Brien or Crowley to the bench instead of Aki. It's all just a matter of getting just the right amount of minutes into the players to prime them.

Then depending on how everything is going the team against Scotland could be anything in between the Romania and South Africa selections.

I think it’ll be 18 forwards - 15 backs.

My guess at 33 is:

1. Porter, Healy, Kilcoyne
    2. Sheehan, Kelleher, Herring
    3. Furlong, Bealham, O’Toole
    4. Beirne, Henderson
    5. Ryan, McCarthy
    6. O’Mahony, Baird
    7. Van der Flier
    8. Doris, Conan
    9. Gibson-Park, Murray, Casey
    10. Sexton, Byrne, Crowley
    11. Lowe
    12. Henshaw, Aki, McCloskey
    13. Ringrose
    14. Hansen
    15. Keenan, O'Brien

Plus 1 more winger; one of Earls, Stockdale or Nash.

I’d guess Earls at this point for his all-round game and experience, assuming he still has decent speed.

Osborne would have been another option for that last spot but I think he will need an injury to get into the final 33.

Frawley is very close to McCloskey too but I think McCloskey has done enough to keep his spot.

These would all need an injury to get into the final 33 in my opinion: Stewart, Treadwell, Prendergast, Coombes, Blade, Frawley, Osborne, Stockdale, Nash, and if I can include Conway for attending a few training sessions. I think Diarmuid Barron was reported to have attended also but I’d say he’d need a couple of injuries to occur to get into contention.

For Reference, the team V Italy was:

Kilcoyne, Herring, O'Toole,

Henderson (C), McCarthy,

Baird, Conan, Doris,

Casey, Crowley,

Stockdale, McCloskey, Henshaw, Earls,

O'Brien.

R: Stewart, Healy, Furlong, Beirne, Prendergast, Blade, Frawley, Nash.

My proposed Team for Romania:

Kilcoyne, Herring, O'Toole,

Beirne, McCarthy,

Baird, Conan, O’Mahony,

Casey, Sexton (C),

O'Brien, McCloskey, Henshaw, Earls,

Crowley.

R: Kelleher, Healy, Bealham, Henderson, Doris, Murray, Byrne, Aki.

My proposed Team for Tonga:

Healy, Kelleher, Bealham,

Henderson (C), McCarthy,

Baird, Conan, Van der Flier,

Murray, Byrne,

O'Brien, Aki, Ringrose, Hansen,

Keenan.

R: Sheehan, Porter, Furlong, Ryan, O'Mahony, Gibson-Park, Sexton, Henshaw.

My proposed Team for SA:

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong,

Beirne, Ryan,

O'Mahony, Doris, Van der Flier,

Gibson-Park, Sexton,

Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Hansen,

Keenan.

R: Kelleher, Healy, Bealham, Henderson, Conan, Murray, Byrne, Aki.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Hope yes.. but reality was staring everyone in the face during and after the 6N.

There used to be the usual cheerleaders on here (one or two) telling us not to trust our eyes.

What we see this time around is unmistakingly different to anything that has come before.

With one massive caveat*

My WC vibes through the years:

'87 - What's a World Cup?

'91 - Australia will thump us

'95 - Nobody can beat Lomu

'99 - Argentina? We have BOD and stuff

'03 - You never know what French side will turn up

'07 - Perfect mix of Lunster

'11 - Wales? Pfffft we're going to win this thing. Just give it to SOB. Ferris, Heaslip and Sexton will take care of the rest.

'15 - Best coach. 6N champs. We'll hammer France. Then its NZ in the final.

'19 - We could go out at the group stage.

'23 - Grand Slam winners. Prop Sexton* up and nobody can beat us...Except Dupont.

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Tinter Box

When is the team announced?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not til Thursday at the earliest I'd say and probably more likely Friday tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I heard loughman is training with the squad due to kilkoyne being unfit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Advertisement