Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ljsulster

Good job Stockdale is back to his best.

I wonder if there is an international lifeline for Will Addison- We know Farrell likes him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭twinytwo

it is going to be hard for Munster players to find any sort of form atm. On current resources we will struggle to field a team not to mind win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

We aren’t stocked but putting an almost 34 year old Zebo in isn’t the answer for me.

Bolton, Shane Daly, even Rob Russell for some experience.

In fairness to him, he has played decent in the two Munster games I saw he played in but he surely can’t be an answer. Would question his professionalism aswell but that’s probably for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We're in bother for this Six Nations I think. Sexton is gone and whomever steps in for Hansen or Lowe, or potentially both, will be a significant downgrade in terms of line breaking and creativity. The latter are miles ahead of every other wing in the country for that.

Lowe will be brought straight back in, I think. There's too much disruption to Ireland's attack otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Bloody hell. Given the way we know he can play and Baloucoune's poor form, Rob Lyttle must be absolutely kicking himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Our forward pack is extremely strong so I wouldn't be too pessimistic for the 6N

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

perhaps play Ringrose on wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd hope that Farrell will give Baloucoune a chance in the squad, provincial form notwithstanding. I'd think his defense alone would put him ahead of Stockdale.

Surely Frawley will be looked at as back up 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Yeah I dont think he will get the call up in fairness but I do think we are in dire straits with JOB also out and I dont think Lowe will be fit for first match in France. Zebo could at least cover full back too.

Would like to see Larmour and Nash in. Just not sure about Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

We'll miss Lowe's kicking for sure. It would have been nice to have that to take some weight off Crowley for his first few games.

And Hansen steps in at first receiver a lot for us. Basically they're exactly the two wingers you'd want with a young 10 taking over from someone like Sexton.

I think Nash has to get one of the spots. I'd have gone with JOB for the other, but now I'm much less sure. Daly for the ability to play 15 could be a shout.

Zebo makes more sense than I would have expected if we were looking at it from a purely short term perspective. I'd actually be happy for the guy if it happened but I think the wiser choice is to go with Stockdale or Balacoune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We're in some bother. Stockdale is limited. Larmour has the tips under the high ball. Tommy O 'Brien hasn't played top end teams, I don't think he's good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

France in the SdF is always tough, our strongest team would really struggle to win this one. I really don't care the result of that game, I mean great if we win but if we don't, what of it? If we win the other four games, it will have been a decent campaign. Farrell should do an Eddie Jones and say he is beginning the process of building for the next WC (which in this case wouldn't be bs to cover for failing miserably).

Personnally, I'd go with Shane Daly ahead of Nash in place of Hansen. If Lowe doesn't make, I'd go with Stockdale. Pity Kilgallen is injured, I would have liked to see him at get exposed to the national coaches, I think he has a lot of potential if handled properly. Wouldn't bring Zebo in, nothing against him but there are plenty of younger guys worthy of a look.

We can beat Italy, Wales and Scotland in Dublin with a few changes from the RWC team. Prendergast should be first choice 6 regardless of POM availability. I'd also like to see Timoney rewarded with some meaningful game time in place of VDF (not that I want VDF dropped but I don't think rotation would be a bad thing for anyone in this case). Same applies with JGP and Casey. JoeMc should be starting two games. I'd love some game time for Osborne but injury may prevent that.

I'd use Furlong sparingly too, Bealham can hold the fort. Constantly getting thrown cold into high intensity games can't be helping his body. He always seems to have to get up to a high level very quickly after a layoff, usually followed by another layoff. I'd like to see him build fitness with Leinster after the 6N with a view to peaking for knock out games.

Other guys I like to see spending some time with the squad for familiarisation would be; N.Murray, Doak, Forde, Frisch and/or Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Small point of info: the game isn't at the SdF but in the Marseille Vélodrome.

I think O'Toole is playing better than Bealham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Can't see Andy Farrell going for Stockdale, his defending is poor and he's even worse under a high ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Larmour up next on form ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Imagine it's incredibly open. Larmour looks in decent form thankfully but I think it's going to come down to the squad get-together.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ljsulster

You ever watched Stockdale under a high ball? He’s as good as any winger in Ireland.

I agree his tackling can be shocking at times though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd like to see both get decent gametime. I think it would be more beneficial for all than expecting Furlong to shoulder a heavy workload in the 6N after limited gametime in the previous few months. We are going to need all three of them for the tour in SA. Bealham and TOT need more minutes at international level and Furlong needs minding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Stockdale has been very good this season. If he gets called up (I'd be shocked if he didn't), he'll deserve it.

He'd definitely be ahead of Baloucoune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

With our oversupply of high standard locks/flankers, lack of form for Henshaw and complete shitshow in the back three and outhalf, the 6/2 split with Frawley in the 23 jersey becomes a very viable option right now although I'm not sure they'll risk it.

That would allow us potentially have Henderson, Ryan, Beirne and McCarthy all in the 23 although I'd be equally of a mind to look at one sub lock with Baird and Conan on the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Lowe pictured involved in Leinster training yesterday. Has been involved previously but independently. Was training with the overall group yesterday as was Furlong (who has been training with the group for a couple of weeks).

Ross Byrne training/running alone so I'd imagine the earliest he could be back playing rugby is round 3/4.

With Carbery getting back on the field this weekend, there was an outside chance of him being recalled to the squad as the third outhalf but I'd imagine yesterday's announcement has scuppered that possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I haven't seen anything in Larmour's form this season that would excite me. He's been ok, but has underachieved for many years now. His running is very lateral, and I don't trust him under the high ball.

But in addition to these basic concerns, I don't see guys like him or Baloucoune having the creative footballing approach which Farrell wants. Now this may be something that can be corrected, it's hard to tell because both players are locked into provincial systems which function on a different model, could they adapt?

Based on what I've seen, I'd prefer to see Nash and TOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I thought Stockdale was ok. He's still not back to his 2018 form. Yes he'll be in the squad but hopefully Lowe will start.

Im a big fan of Baloucoune. Thought he looked uncharacteristically weak in the tackle v Connacht and Leinster.

He would be the person I'd want starting at 14 but I presume it will be Nash.

Hanson is a massive loss and it's compounded by Conway retiring. That leaves Lowe as our best wing with several average lads vying for a chance.

Hanson is the only wing we have that would be close to world class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

As an Ulster fan neither Stockdale or Baloucoune have been great. Occasionally above average but certainly a long way off starting in a 6N match, although we may not have a choice.

Hopefully someone pops up the way Hansen did a few years ago and surprise us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It's concerning that there's nobody within a shout of taking a wing slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I wouldn't lump them together. Stockdale has been much better than Baloucoune, who has been very quiet and now looks unsure of himself.

Stockdale has been improving and was the last winger to be sent home from the extended RWC squad, if I recall? So I'd say he's up first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If it was the end of last season, I think Nash would've been in with a great shout of starting in Hansen's place. He seems the sort of winger Farrell likes but he hasn't quite hit the heights so far this season.

If Lowe doesn't make it back in time, I think I'd like to see Stockdale starting in his place.

Advertisement