Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

From D'Arcy:

"I signed six IRFU contracts lasting 17 years. A two-year deal aged 18, another two-year at 20, a three-year at 24 followed by one at the zenith of my earning power, age 27, before a plummeting spectacularly contract age 30. The sixth deal, age 33, was another significant drop, a take it or leave it offer.

My fifth contract was tough to swallow. I took a hefty pay cut in 2010/11 despite being at the peak of my powers, despite being the starting Ireland number 12 heading into a World Cup season."

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That was pre-Nucifora too, presumably the blazers did the contracts back then, so you can only assume it's even more stringent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

13 years ago and IRFU was at a lot of f**king around with contracts at that stage. Every year you had stories of players going to France etc. Then Sexton/Moore etc jumped because of the messing. Since Nucifora came onto the scene all of that has disappeared and seem to be more streamline. The reports of players jumping is limited and mostly when reported it turns out right(like Joey)

It probably happened then but don't think it is relevant anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Sorry only seen this after, I agree Nucifora seems to have it locked down and players they want are kept

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Leinster obsessed fan here……I would be most happy for Nash to play on the wing in place of Hansen with Osborne missing. He has that “dog” which is spoken about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Right, actually a genuine opportunity to rebuild. POM, Connor and Tadgh are question marks. Maybe we have Lowe but otherwise two new wingers, no Johnny. The loss of Hansen and maybe Lowe is a massive twist for Farrell given how imposrtant they are to how we play. Back/2nd row about the only consistency available and Joe to come in. Maybe Ringrose on the wing, and one/two of the Munster wingers coming in. 2nd place would be a big success this year, maybe third depending on Twickenham but I expect England to be a lot better this year.

Post edited by ersatz on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would assume Stockdale will get another chance. I'd prefer to see Nash or Daly.

Yeah, he was the last one out before the WC squad was finalised so he is in the picture. I haven't seen much of him this season tho Ulster fans on here seem non plussed. Nash and or Daly for me too. The front line back 3 is stellar, and I'd add JOB to that, but beyond them we run into familiar depth problems. It would be great to see some new blood tried out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Have to say, I'm not overly enamored with Farrell taking on the Lions role. Just think it has the potential to create division with some players who are not selected and affect morale/confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I actually think it might help. Seven years is a long time to be a head coach, a bit of a shake-up and some fresh ideas a couple of years might be no bad thing.

• Advertisement

There are definitely some upsides to it. For example - I expect a large contingent of Irish players this tour and like you say, the opportunity to freshen things up.

I just feel the potential disadvantages outweigh the benefits. There will be Irish players who feel they are better than their counterparts from the British isles who are inevitably going to be selected ahead of them. I've also lost a bit of love for the tours after Gatlands last shambles of a squad so that may have something to do with my feelings towards it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah I’d agree with that and it’s at a good time in a WC cycle for a bit of a change up.

He’s always come across as a guy of integrity, so there is no reason to believe he won’t take the same approach to picking a Lions squad as he has an Irish one, and select the best player available.

The players know him well enough I’d think to understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Exactly.

But fans & the rugby press will gleefully jump on any contentious selections.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Squads are selected by committee to a fair degree. Yes the head coach has the final say, but the individual assistant coaches can certainly make the best case for certain players they like, a la rowntree practically begging gatland to include corbisiero in 2013.

The lads will know this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I struggle to care at all about the Lions anymore. Gatland really drove it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Australia don't have the depth of player to make a decent lions tour.

If Casey could kick he'd be the incumbent 9 for Ireland. His passing is sensational at times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

His kicking in the last couple of weeks has dropped off a bit; for about 12-18 months prior to that, it was exceptional, a real area of the game he improved.

100% agree on the passing tho, I think he's the best passer of a ball in the country.

Nash looking like his last-season self yesterday, I think he's done enough to claim Hansen's spot. His try was reminiscent of Hansen himself, from kick-off vs France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Both Baird and Timoney have been excellent for the last few weeks. Think Baird needs to start at 6 and not sure how but Timoney deserves to be in the squad. Doris, JVDF & Baird probably the only back rows guaranteed to be in the squad at this stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cian Prendergast has looked like a man amongst boys at Connacht any time I've seen them, which is admittedly not that often.

Doris, JVDF & Baird probably the only back rows guaranteed to be in the squad at this stage.

I'd be quite surprise if POM wasn't, at a minimum, in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

I’d personally have him in. For leadership and doggedness if nothing else. But with his age and rumours of retirement at the end of this season I wonder if Farrell decides against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

For me, Prendergast is a certainty. Seriously good season for him. Hodnett and Timoney could make it. Nash and Larmour will get into the wider squad. They've both been excellent.

I hope Hume makes it. His form has been superb.

Given how rich the back row stocks are you could see Farrell moving on from Peter when he’s retiring at the end of the season. He’ll likely be in the squad but Farrell will have to look ahead. Baird, VDF and Doris looked to be in super form yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think the back rows selected will be POM, Prendergast, Baird, VDF, Timoney, Doris and Conan.

Nothing too surprising at all in the mix. Will be an interesting battle between Prendergast and Baird for the 6 jersey, could easily see Prendergast on the bench due to being more versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

POM will still be starting imo. Wouldn't be my choice but I think it's who Farrell will pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

His lack of game time and rumours of retirement might change that. Would expect him to start against France tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Shehal

With Ireland losing Sexton and having a new young 10 replacing him I think Farrell at least for the 6N will want to keep the team as settled as possible.

Advertisement