Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Leeinnnnnnster

Delighted for POM. A man who never took a backwards step for Ireland. Makes perfect sense to have him as a bridging Captain.

Very upset to see how quickly the “Brave and the Faithful” abandoned Coombes though

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

VDF is there for the taking. No talk of him becoming Leinster or Ireland captain, which is telling. He seems to lack a strong mentality.

Nothing says lacking a strong mentality like being named WPOTY and claiming the starting jersey in possibly the most competitive position in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Take nothing from POM's career and he's been written off for 3 years by plenty of people but each season he has come in and made massive contributions for Ireland. I've no problem with him in the team and Baird will come out of this 6N with plenty more caps but making Peter captain is missing a trick here. For me Sexton was never a great captain, he didn't need the arm band to be an inspiration and drive standards in the dressing room but his temperament was never effective on the filed as captain for me. Now Peter is in as a stop gap as he is highly unlikely to be a fixture for the next 3 seasons. I'd much prefer if Farrell had used this season to at least establish a new long term captain even while he went for continuity in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You're just putting words into people's mouths now. I actually searched, you are the first person to mention the word 'generational' in here today. We're just debating the merits of picking a 34 year old as captain, considering the depth and competition for his position, nobody is even bashing POM here. Why invent it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The idea of a long term captain is a terrible one.

You pick a captain for a campaign, like the 6 nations and then you pick again for the summer tour and again for the Autumn.

They may well be the same person and they may not, but you dont pick a captain now and tell him he is in charge for the world cup.

James Ryan could be dropped for Beirne and Mccarthy, Ringrose could be dropped for Henshaw & Aki. POM might be gone to France by the Summer.

Its not a long term job, you just might be lucky to do it for a long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

Sexton & POM had been club captains for a considerable period of time, as a munster fan I find it strange we haven't appointed a replacement captain as I assume this would have been dropped to the management team pre world cup

Here's a mad suggestion....maybe nobody outside of the above mentioned have shown the qualities that Farrell wants in his captain, Ryan had it previously but hasn't cemented it...doubt he'll go back to him now

Farrell would have POM in the team& squad regardless of captaincy purely for continuity considering the retirements & injury losses so all this talk of Baird etc not getting a shot doesn't stack up imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

We will find out, one of those players is likely to be captain in the next year or 2. They need to show that they have the leadership skills first before the honour will be bestowed upon them.

POM hasn't been playing a whole pile more than 55 mins for Ireland with the last 12 months. Don't think him being captain will change that. I'd place a large wager that Ryan Baird will start v Italy if he's fit.

I don't think the Zebo think is anything to do with handing him caps. It's more to do with having only 1 FB in the squad and Zebo having several international caps and in good form currently. And he covers wing. I'd have picked him ahead of Stockdale both on form and versatility. I'm guessing that Zebo having not been involved in an AF squad before counts against him.

• Advertisement

The thing is - the public perception of both of those guys (who incidentally are really close friends with each other) as grumpy and grouchy isn’t that accurate.

Both are really gregarious, fun and jokey kind of personalities in teams, who are well liked by other players. They’re both obviously ultimate competitors who demand high standards from teammates, but don’t think the grumpy thing is accurate.

That's rubbish. VdF has a very strong mentality. He struggled at international level in the past due to a lack of power and go forward in the carry. He took the feedback on board and developed that aspect of his game. So much so that it earned him WPOTY. He comes across as someone who leads by example more so than in a vocal way. One of the first names on the team sheet.

If Munster has a ready made candidate whose ancestor had literally fought in the Eater rising, we’d never hear the **** end of it. It’s be another excuse for Munster branch to default on every commitment or put the hand out begging off the other three provinces yet again.

James Ryan is the next long term Captain, and it doesn’t matter how **** Ligind POC tries to make our lineout in the meantime.

I don’t think you really establish or train a captain though.

Anyone who’s ever been around a team environment knows leaders kind of make themselves known and it’s evident within the group.

I thought Caelan Doris was a live contender for the captaincy, but it was evident from his really honest comments this week that he isn’t there yet within the group.

He won’t get there by forcing the matter IMO.

POM is clearly the alpha in that group now with Sexton gone, and if that’s the case he’s the right choice as the captain and leader. The hope is that some of the next generation step up and assume that mantle for when he’s ready to hang them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Disappointing squad same old really. What's the point of having a 36 year old prop in the squad or a 34 year old captain. Should be building for the next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He was in a Farrell squad before - he was in Farrell’s very first squad after returning to Munster. Went uncapped obviously, but was training with the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

I'd like to see him start against France or England. Guys like him, Casey, McCarthy need to be tested against the best to develop, not the odd start against a really weak Italian team or Nov international.

i heard he was being given the freedom of Botanic gardens to move to a province that can afford him. Makes sense to me. Call it a straight swap for Tadgh Beirne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I agree with a lot of that however why would a true 'alpha' need a title?

Ireland constantly speak about the leadership team within the squad, not a single 'alpha'. The role is nearly 100% ceremonial so it shouldnt really bother folks who gets it once they're able to deal with the ref.

My consistent concern about who gets it is the potential knock on impact if or when a change is needed. If POM's form drops during his captaincy, like it has during multiple points in his fantastic career, does AF have the Gatland size balls to drop him despite the captaincy or is he stuck to sentimentality again. If he does the former then what is the blowback. AF didn't need to put himself in this position.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Wasn’t the easter rising in dublin? I don’t really get that one.

Interesting squad. We try to win every six nations and that’s reflected in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Captain of a rugby team, ceremonial, WTF. Really important, in so many different aspects. Since POM won't play 80 mins in any game, a few people can be tried as vice captain. It's only when someone is put in the role you'll see will they grow into it. Occasionally a natural leader puts their hand up early in their career.

Please enlighten me on what I'm missing.

Outside of speaking to the ref, tell us the differences in POMs involvement on the pitch and in training in the upcoming 6 nations as captain vs what he was doing during the world cup as a member of the senior leadership team?

You mean you read his username and then continued?

Id love to have so much time on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Captain decides what options the team takes with a penalty, kick for 3 points, go to the corner, tap and go, scrum. Just an example. They may also be doing the lineout calls or their can be a separate pack leader doing that. In todays game, managing the ref and their expectations is crucial.

You don’t seem too busy considering you’re posting on an internet forum before 9pm? Saved all the lives, cured all the diseases at this stage I guess?

POM and other senior leaders regularly gave input into penalty decisions, so no change there unless it comes to overruling the group.

Captaincy has zero impact on who calls the lineout.

My original post you responded to noted speaking with the ref, so not idea why you're including that now.

Any other examples?

• Advertisement

Deleted post mod warning.

Advertisement