Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat - multiple versions of same channels

• 30-11-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have Freesat installed on an LG smart tv and it picks up various versions of most channels (e.g. several BBC1s). I think this is the different localities, e.g. BBC1 NI, Scotland, Wales, etc but is there a way to remove these and tidy up the Freesat channel listing?

Ideally I'd like to have channel 1 BBC1, channel 2 BBC2, etc. But at the moment BBC1 is up in the 40s, and then I've to skip through several blank BBC1s before getting to BBC2.

I also don't think I'm getting the full listing of channels available on Freesat, is there an easy way to get them or do I need to manually tune them all in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hi all,

I have Freesat installed on an LG smart tv and it picks up various versions of most channels (e.g. several BBC1s). I think this is the different localities, e.g. BBC1 NI, Scotland, Wales, etc but is there a way to remove these and tidy up the Freesat channel listing?

Ideally I'd like to have channel 1 BBC1, channel 2 BBC2, etc. But at the moment BBC1 is up in the 40s, and then I've to skip through several blank BBC1s before getting to BBC2.

I also don't think I'm getting the full listing of channels available on Freesat, is there an easy way to get them or do I need to manually tune them all in?

Thanks

That sounds like you're not getting the Freesat EPG, but just all FTA channels. Freesat will organise the channels into a sensible order, 101 = BBC1, 102 = BB2, etc.

LG tvs (or most new ones at least) have Freesat built in, but you need to switch your TV's region to UK first. Once switched re-scan you satellite channels. You'll need to enter a postcode (use E1 1AA for London, BT1 1AA for Norn Iron) and then it should just work.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

From the sound of it that is NOT Freesat. The whole point of Freesat is it arranges channels logically. What you are describing sounds more like generic free to air TV. Did you set the TV to UK when installing and did it ask for a UK postcode? If the TV is Freesat enabled it will only work if set to UK with any UK postcode to determine which regional channels you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Thanks guys. It was a strange set up (by a Freesat installer oddly enough). I was getting some UK channels, but have now followed your instructions and have a completely different set up which is so much better! This is what Freesat is meant to be.

On the LG t.v. I previously watches UK channels via satellite and the Irish channels via antenna, but now the Irish channels have disappeared from Antenna after changing the location to UK. Is there a way to watch Irish channels via Freesat or to get the antenna working again?

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You will have to rescan the terrestrial channels to find them again. With the TV set to UK there is a good chance they will be considered 'foreign' channels and placed in the 800's number range. Hopefully you will be able to renumber the few Irish ones to something more sensible. I'm not familiar with the specifics of your TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Hi all,

Thanks

This is the order of channels on Freesat https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide

As others have stated the TV's country must be set to UK and the channels will appear from 101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

You can setup a Favorite list and only add the channels that interest you, that way you can just have your own listings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Get the Installer back to do his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Thanks guys. It was a strange set up (by a Freesat installer oddly enough). I was getting some UK channels, but have now followed your instructions and have a completely different set up which is so much better! This is what Freesat is meant to be.

On the LG t.v. I previously watches UK channels via satellite and the Irish channels via antenna, but now the Irish channels have disappeared from Antenna after changing the location to UK. Is there a way to watch Irish channels via Freesat or to get the antenna working again?

Thank you!

As mention ed above the Irish channels will be stored up in the 800's. You can renumber those channels.

Switching between Saorview channels and Freesat can be a bit cumbersome on LG TVs but there is a workaround. Sort out the Irish channels and put on RTE1. Press and hold down number 1 on the remote until you get confirmation that long press option (can't remember the exact wording) has been set. Now go to BBC1 via freest. Repeat the long press but this time use button 2. Now to swap between saorview and freest is a long press of 1 or 2.

Advertisement