Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Webcam for a desktop PC?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a webcam for a desktop PC please? I currently have a Logitech C920 Pro HD(2nd hand).

My wife is working remotely and using a desktop(Core-i7/16GB/SSD/AMD Radeon Card/Win10) with the camera and two 24inch screens.
    She is teaching a class of students and has a physical whiteboard which she is writing on which is about 6 feet from the camera mounted on a wall.
    She is using Microsoft Teams to host the class.

The problem is the camera keeps trying to autofocus.:mad: I've turned on manual focus in the camera settings but sometimes it reverts back without warning and is driving her crazy during her classes.
    I've tried installing the Logitech HUB software and setting manual focus in that but again sometimes it randomly starts anyway.
    The AMD software has been completely uninstalled and reinstalled but makes no difference :(

Has anyone bought a good reliable webcam recently that they could recommend please? Alternatively has anyone got a Logitech C920 webcam and experienced this issue?

All feedback is greatly appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I use an Xbox Kinect (ver.2) when I need a webcam. It's great quality and has a massive field of view. You can pick them up pretty cheap nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Canon DSLR + EOS Webcam utility will give you a fantastic results. Some of the older cameras support it so you don't need to spend a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I have the same webcam (Logitech HD Pro C920). I haven't had any issues with the autofocus, but I only use it while I'm sitting at my desk right in front of the camera. Good lighting definitely improves the picture quality.

I bought a cheap 20 pound webcam on Amazon recently (the cam on my wife' laptop died) and it's much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a webcam for a desktop PC please? I currently have a Logitech C920 Pro HD(2nd hand).

My wife is working remotely and using a desktop(Core-i7/16GB/SSD/AMD Radeon Card/Win10) with the camera and two 24inch screens.
    She is teaching a class of students and has a physical whiteboard which she is writing on which is about 6 feet from the camera mounted on a wall.
    She is using Microsoft Teams to host the class.

The problem is the camera keeps trying to autofocus.:mad: I've turned on manual focus in the camera settings but sometimes it reverts back without warning and is driving her crazy during her classes.
    I've tried installing the Logitech HUB software and setting manual focus in that but again sometimes it randomly starts anyway.
    The AMD software has been completely uninstalled and reinstalled but makes no difference :(

Has anyone bought a good reliable webcam recently that they could recommend please? Alternatively has anyone got a Logitech C920 webcam and experienced this issue?

All feedback is greatly appreciated thanks!
    Have that webcam myself and I have recorded courses with it. I did have some issues with positioning but otherwise no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

That c920 is a decent camera, use it a good bit for streaming. Software is a disaster though, resets everything every boot.

madcabbage wrote: »
    That c920 is a decent camera, use it a good bit for streaming. Software is a disaster though, resets everything every boot.

Yeah, decided to completely uninstall the Logitech G HUB software for that exact reason.

I'm starting to believe the issue here is with Microsoft Teams specifically as it works perfect with Zoom:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if it is teams taking control of your webcam somehow (not sure if it does do anything like that) then this could work
    download ndi tools

then select your webcam as "webcam source" (& your microphone as webcam audio) on scan converter, and select that new webcam NDI source in virtual input

and finally select your new "NDI virtual input" as your webcam in teams

I use this to be able to use my webcam in more than one program at the same time, but it would be a level of abstraction away from teams if that's what is causing issues

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Seems to be a common issue with logitech cameras and microsoft teams, bit more on it here, apparently you can enable manual focus in the Microsoft Camera app and should sort it: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/adjust-camera-zoom-in-teams/m-p/671365

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I switched to G HUB last week after adding a Logitech wireless mouse (not supported by the old Logitech Gaming Software). It seems to be working fine - I set my camera zoom manually and it persists between reboots.

• Advertisement

Great stuff, thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Microsoft HD-3000 Webcam €30.49 currently £68 on Amazon

Skerries wrote: »
    Microsoft HD-3000 Webcam €30.49 currently £68 on Amazon

Thanks for the tip Skerries :)

Advertisement