Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice do I give?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I started a new job over a month and a half ago. Due to reasons outside my control I’m going to have to give my notice.

The notice laid out in my contract is one month. The issue is due to the reasons I need to leave I won’t be able to do the month, i would be able to do two weeks max.

I was looking online about it and I found that it says if you’ve worked less than 13weeks you don’t need to give notice.

Does that still apply if you’ve a notice laid out in a contract? And if not would you have any recommendations on what to do about the notice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ChloeAnn wrote: »
    The notice laid out in my contract is one month. The issue is due to the reasons I need to leave I won’t be able to do the month,

Give them as much notice as possible, and explain the reasons, they might be understanding of your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres not much they can do if you want to go so just tell them your going on X date and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They're not going to sue you for breach of contract over a couple of weeks, and considering the short length of employment it's presumably not somewhere you'll use for a reference in the future so you've nothing to worry about. As another poster said, give them the max notice you can, with an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A week would be fine. Two of you can but I wouldn’t sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ChloeAnn wrote: »
    I was looking online about it and I found that it says if you’ve worked less than 13weeks you don’t need to give notice.

Does that still apply if you’ve a notice laid out in a contract? And if not would you have any recommendations on what to do about the notice?

No it doesn't apply if your contract says something different.

But talk to them: in many cases, for someone just in the door and likely still in training, they will be be happy for you to finish up the same day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement