Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

OK just placed an order with Amazon UK, four items amounting to €55. All to be delivered first week of Jan. Rather than reading through the whole thread with differing opinions, am I likely to incur any additional taxes?
    Short answer is no.

No need to be splitting your orders to keep under €22 as that's not relevant to this situation. Continue as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Incorrect. I do not live in in Dublin and I have got all of my orders from the past month delivered by the Amazon Logistics white vans.

Are you in Leitrim by any chance?

Do you have prime?

I ordered a couple of things from Amazon.co.uk last night, but instead of putting them all in one order, I ordered each one separately, keeping the cost below €22 each time, with free delivery.

Annoying, but if I'd put them all in one order, it would have been way over.

I don't know if its worth continuing to pay prime for free delivery, but I'll probably continue to buy small items in this way from .co.uk. if I can.

Anything over the limit, I'll look to hagglezon.
    Completely unnecessary. Continue as before. There will be no extra 'hidden' charges on delivery.

harmless wrote: »
    Are you in Leitrim by any chance?

No I'm about an hour's drive south of Dublin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Quackster wrote: »
    Short answer is no.

No need to be splitting your orders to keep under €22 as that's not relevant to this situation. Continue as before.

I'm under an hour north of Dublin and they certainly don't deliver here.

I enquired and was told Dublin only.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm under an hour north of Dublin and they certainly don't deliver here.

I enquired and was told Dublin only.
    I'm guessing they deliver to the greater Dublin area and some surrounding localities. Maybe they'll expand the coverage over time.

It is extraordinarily fast though. I ordered something last Monday evening to a Dublin address and it arrived Wednesday morning! I don't even currently have Prime! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm in Drogheda and all deliveries since about mid December have been from vans with Parcel King on the side rather than An Post. Are these Amazons own drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm guessing they deliver to the greater Dublin area and some surrounding localities. Maybe they'll expand the coverage over time.

It is extraordinarily fast though. I ordered something last Monday evening to a Dublin address and it arrived Wednesday morning! I don't even currently have Prime! :eek:

I've ordered things as late as 6 pm and have got them the next day.
    markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm in Drogheda and all deliveries since about mid December have been from vans with Parcel King on the side rather than An Post. Are these Amazons own drivers?

Yes they use a number of different delivery firms.

VG31 wrote: »
    I've ordered things as late as 6 pm and have got them the next day.

If you are within rage of the Amazon delivery service and it is a popular item they keep stocked in the small warehouse in Dublin then next day delivery is easy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If you are within rage of the Amazon delivery service and it is a popular item they keep stocked in the small warehouse in Dublin then next day delivery is easy.

That was my thought, ordered something today and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Some pretty strong views on some threads that no stock is kept in Dublin and it simply processes parcels for delivery that are picked and packed in the UK.

Also various threads about Amazon and brexit, sone saying its BAU evem after 1 January, others saying there will be additional charges.

Very confusing, am guessing time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I've seen this claim a few times but I haven't see any evidence yet. All my orders with next day delivery have had a UK warehouse code on the box. MAN or MME usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

Is there a summary that can be appended to the 1st post detailing the impact of Brexit on amazon.co.uk orders?

32 pages of back and forth and I'm still unclear what the situation is

I want to order some smart electronics via prime amounting to ~€500

I can get the same through screwfix for €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Short answer is no.

Just out interest, how does the €22 that is being mentioning become relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I ordered a couple of things from Amazon.co.uk last night, but instead of putting them all in one order, I ordered each one separately, keeping the cost below €22 each time, with free delivery.

I'm pretty sure if they were purchased before midnight New year eve then the tax laws at the time Govern it. The fact that it is delivered a few days later shouldn't effect the tax

Just out interest, how does the €22 that is being mentioning become relevant?

Any items €22 or lower have no duty or VAT due when they enter the EU no matter where in the world they come from.

This is to end on July 2021, even small items of very low value(mostly coming from China) must have VAT and Duty paid.

It's not a concern where the UK is involved thanks to the free trade agreement but you do have to make sure you do not pay UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is it correct to say nothing is "law" until the agreement has been passed by UK parliament and EU ambassadors give initial approval hence lack of clarification yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

TheDriver wrote:
    Is it correct to say nothing is "law" until the agreement has been passed by UK parliament and EU ambassadors give initial approval hence lack of clarification yet.

I think this is the case. They were talking about UK being treated as if they crashed for a few weeks if the deal wasn't passed in time.

TheDriver wrote: »

That's correct, the House of Commons will vote on the 30th to make it law, I don't see how it could fail since it has Labours backing which should offset any Tory rebel votes.

EU Parliament will vote on it early in the new year and I don't believe any member state has expressed any issue with the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Guys I can't find a definitive answer anywhere, if i order something online from the UK tonight but its not expected to get here until after the 1st January, am i liable to pay charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Want to buy something off ebay over €22 coming from UK, Can I avoid paying Vat if I get it sent through Addresspal? It mentions on their website that you only have to pay €3.50 and then €6.50 for delivery, Is that €3.50 you pay addresspal a way to avoid paying the Vat, or is that just an admin charge and you still have to pay the Vat?, confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Guys I can't find a definitive answer anywhere, if i order something online from the UK tonight but its not expected to get here until after the 1st January, am i liable to pay charges?

Yes, unless it is from one of the larger online shops like Amazon who are registered for and charging Irish VAT at checkout. Only exemption is if it is less than €22.
    Brian2011 wrote: »
    Want to buy something off ebay over €22 coming from UK, Can I avoid paying Vat if I get it sent through Addresspal? It mentions on their website that you only have to pay €3.50 and then €6.50 for delivery, Is that €3.50 you pay addresspal a way to avoid paying the Vat, or is that just an admin charge and you still have to pay the Vat?, confused

No. An Post will run it through customs. https://addresspal.anpost.ie/how-it-works
    Note: All UK items will be subject to Revenue customs rules from January 1st 2021.
    If there are customs fees related to your item, you will be contacted with more information.

westyIrl wrote: »
    Yes you are unless it is from one of the larger online shops like Amazon etc who are registered for and charging Irish VAT at checkout. Only exemption is if it is less than €22.

No. An Post will run it through customs.

Will I still have to pay Vat?

Will I still have to pay Vat?

VAT is all you have to pay! There are no customs duties aka tariffs. An Post will charge a fee for collecting the VAT however.

VAT is all you have to pay! There are no customs duties aka tariffs. An Post will charge a fee for collecting the VAT however.

What about this €10 admin charge from An post? And what's the €3.50 charge from Addresspal for?

What about this €10 admin charge from An post? And what's the €3.50 charge from Addresspal for?

€10 for collecting the VAT. €3.50 for dealing with customs, export declarations etc.
    From January 1st the UK will also be outside of the EU. All UK and USA deliveries will be subject to Revenue inspection for customs and/or VAT charges.

From this date, a fee of €3.50 will be charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the European Union. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable. Items coming from destinations outside the EU may be subject to delay due to customs examination.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

€10 for collecting the VAT. €3.50 for filling out customs export declaration forms on your behalf I presume.

This is crazy, the €10 charge from An post is too much on top of paying Vat already! Something needs to be done about this, it's a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

€10 for collecting the VAT. €3.50 for filling out customs export declaration forms on your behalf I presume.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

Add in the 6.50 delivery charge and you would be mad to keep using AddressPal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fritzelly wrote: »
    Add in the 6.50 delivery charge and you would be mad to keep using AddressPal

Once again.

This is a country outside the EU.

It's a third country like buying from the US. Only see the US Postal charges for delivery and that will make you think.

Anyone making massive purchases should hold their powder for a few weeks. And don't be taking anyone's advice in this thread as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

listermint wrote: »
    Once again.

This is a country outside the EU.

It's a third country like buying from the US. Only see the US Postal charges for delivery and that will make you think.

Anyone making massive purchases should hold their powder for a few weeks. And don't be taking anyone's advice in this thread as gospel.

Regardless outside of Amazon its highly likely most companies/ebay etc that that you may buy from using AP for the reason it was initially set up will now cost you a lot more (AP's delivery charge, customs handling charge plus the vat) than buying from within the EU or even from Ireland

• Advertisement

I can't see how address pal will work. Amazon will charge UK VAT as it's a UK Address.

When ordering from Amazon you need to use an Irish address so you are charged Irish VAT then you won't have to pay VAT when it arrives.

At least we know with amazon they are registered for VAT in Ireland and the parcels already come with customs declarations.
    Lets wait and see how other companies deal with this.
    listermint wrote: »

It's very different from the US because of the free trade agreement between the UK and EU.
    No import duty on any goods.
    It's up to the customer to ensure they do not pay VAT in the UK. Any reasonable business will be able to accommodate this by submitting a UK VAT exemption 407 form.
    Calculating the handling fee delivery services charge when a company is not VAT registered in Ireland is difficult though. I would argue that at the current rates they are profiting unfairly from the situation.

Advertisement