Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just out interest, how does the €22 that is being mentioning become relevant?
    If a UK retailer isn't registered for VAT in Ireland and doesn't collect Irish VAT at checkout, then from 1st January Irish VAT would be due on purchases from these retailers on their arrival in Ireland. However, consignments under €22 in value (including shipping) are exempt from VAT and in any case Revenue doesn't collect VAT if it amounts to less than €6.

However, Amazon UK is registered for VAT in Ireland and will continue to collect Irish VAT at checkout after 1st January so their parcels will whizz through customs.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

unregd147 wrote: »
    Is there a summary that can be appended to the 1st post detailing the impact of Brexit on amazon.co.uk orders?

32 pages of back and forth and I'm still unclear what the situation is

I want to order some smart electronics via prime amounting to ~€500

I would get the same through screwfix for €650.
    I'd go ahead with your order from Amazon if I were you, there will be no extra 'hidden' charges. What you pay at the checkout will remain the full total of what's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes, no issue at all with any UK business that is registered for VAT in Ireland. You won't notice any change when ordering from them.

If a UK business is not registered for VAT in Ireland it gets complicated but there is a way of avoiding paying UK VAT.
    However there is no way to avoid the charge from delivery services when they pay Irish VAT on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Can't buy anything atm with Amazon from the UK, unable to be delivered to Ireland... when's this restriction of not being delivered getting sorted? Recall it being a 10 day period... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

I can't see anything on sportsdirect about import charges??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Can't buy anything atm with Amazon from the UK, unable to be delivered to Ireland... when's this restriction of not being delivered getting sorted? Recall it being a 10 day period... :o

I just bought drill bits from Amazon UK a few minutes ago. They even sold them VAT free as I am a business. Being delivered to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

harmless wrote: »
    I can confirm that there is no Amazon delivery available outside Dublin.

You seem to be very certain about that, what are your sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Received the following from Amazon re Prime Video. Have my home location set to UK currently. Looks like i wont be able to access a lot of content come Jan 1st or i will have to use a VPN i guess.

We noticed you have been watching Prime Video content from outside the UK and we want to notify you of upcoming changes to your experience. These are a result of the changing applicability of the EU regulation on cross border portability of online content services when the United Kingdom’s post-Brexit transition period ends. As a result of this, UK customers such as yourself will no longer have access to the full UK catalogue while traveling to EU countries, including Ireland starting 1st January 2021.

If you have relocated from the UK to another country and wish to access the content available in that country, you can update your home location here and continue streaming on your various devices and from primevideo.com.

If you are only traveling and will be returning to the UK, you do not need to take any action; while outside of the UK, you will have access to a limited catalogue featuring selected Amazon Originals such as The Boys, Utopia and Fleabag. Access to your full UK catalogue will resume when you return to the UK. You can see the full list of available titles to watch while abroad here.

To learn more about accessing Prime Video, please visit the Prime Video help pages on Amazon.co.uk or on primevideo.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also got that.

Amazon really don't seem to like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

beauf wrote: »
    Also got that.

Amazon really don't seem to like Ireland.

Most companies don't. Some will legit still sell and ship to UK from Garmany, but told me they have no plans to ever sell to Ireland.

Yet they'll do UK, DE, IT, BE, ES, and SW. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

I think poster was meant to say. Amazon, have their own drivers delivering parcel for the greater Dublin Area. Where as Anpost still continue to delivery parcel outside this region.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

drogon. wrote: »
    I think poster was meant to say. Amazon, have their own drivers delivering parcel for the greater Dublin Area. Where as Anpost still continue to delivery parcel outside this region.

The poster seemed very certain in their statement about the delivery by Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

How bad is the content discrepancy between UK and Ireland? I know a few years ago when I switched a few movies and TV shows were in UK that weren't in Ireland just wondering how it is now probably worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Most companies don't. Some will legit still sell and ship to UK from Garmany, but told me they have no plans to ever sell to Ireland.

Ireland loses on brexit again

A lot of British companies never delivered to Ireland anyway. I'm sure some of the companies on continent will begin delivering to Ireland once they see an opportunity. Many wont as they will see us as too small a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Received the following from Amazon re Prime Video. Have my home location set to UK currently. Looks like i wont be able to access a lot of content come Jan 1st or i will have to use a VPN i guess.

We noticed you have been watching Prime Video content from outside the UK and we want to notify you of upcoming changes to your experience. These are a result of the changing applicability of the EU regulation on cross border portability of online content services when the United Kingdom’s post-Brexit transition period ends. As a result of this, UK customers such as yourself will no longer have access to the full UK catalogue while traveling to EU countries, including Ireland starting 1st January 2021.

If you have relocated from the UK to another country and wish to access the content available in that country, you can update your home location here and continue streaming on your various devices and from primevideo.com.

If you are only traveling and will be returning to the UK, you do not need to take any action; while outside of the UK, you will have access to a limited catalogue featuring selected Amazon Originals such as The Boys, Utopia and Fleabag. Access to your full UK catalogue will resume when you return to the UK. You can see the full list of available titles to watch while abroad here.

To learn more about accessing Prime Video, please visit the Prime Video help pages on Amazon.co.uk or on primevideo.com.

Was waiting for something like this. That's the final nail in the coffin for me, will be cancelling my Prime subscription. Can get most of that content elsewhere, if less convenient, and Prime delivery no longer a cost saving for me.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Ireland loses on brexit again
    A lot of British companies never delivered to Ireland anyway. I'm sure some of the companies on continent will begin delivering to Ireland once they see an opportunity. Many wont as they will see us as too small a market.

I've been working with Saxoprint for ages, and they've been really good. Love their prices and quality.

Just a shame, I got an email today from their International Branch (EU Branch)

They have no intention of delivering to Ireland at all.
    Suggest I use a Parcel Forwarding company with their German branch if I want to stop using the UK one.

On the bright side a single Print item I usually get done to order is £19.90 incl UK VAT, and free shipping.

If the £ falls even a tad, they might still be an option for me; any larger orders and I'll have to use the German branch, and redo my designs there; then use mailboxde.com.

7M1BSAW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Well there I have it, company I've been using for specific collectible items I've been making packaging for.

Either I keep using AddressPal with the UK site all my designs are saved with; or I use mailboxde.com with the German one, and redo my designs and upload to the templates. Then go through to hassle of getting sample prints before getting new orders.
    I've been working with Saxoprint for ages, and they've been really good. Love their prices and quality.

Just a shame, I got an email today from their International Branch (EU Branch)

They have no intention of delivering to Ireland at all.
    Suggest I use a Parcel Forwarding company with their German branch if I want to stop using the UK one.

On the bright side a single Print item I usually get done to order is £19.90 incl UK VAT, and free shipping.

If the £ falls even a tad, they might still be an option for me; any larger orders and I'll have to use the German branch, and redo my designs there; then use mailboxde.com.

Have you done a price comparison for using mailboxde.com? Looks like it is a minimum of €8 to €10 for small items (+ service fee). Anything bulky and you probably pay allot more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

corkie wrote: »
    Have you done a price comparison for using mailboxde.com? Looks like it is a minimum of €8 to €10 for small items (+ service fee). Anything bulky and you probably pay allot more?

There's Czech Post for small, light items which is cheaper.

Due to the current UK border issues, Czech Post, Deutsche Post, UPS Standard and GLS have all suspended deliveries to Ireland The only available option is UPS Express Saver which Mailboxde charge €70 minimum for.

It's near impossible to buy anything from continental Europe at the moment, with the exception of Amazon.

corkie wrote: »

It is more expensive alright.

For single prints that are £19.90 for me, it seems AddressPal is still worth it, as apparently they don't both collecting VAT if it's under €6 worth.

So I pay £19.90 which includes UK Vat, and free shipping, then just €6.50 to Addresspal to deliver.

For any bulk orders, Mailboxde is really going to be the only option, otherwise I'll be stung with 21/23% VAT, 1% value/€10 An Post handing, and the shipping fee.

Mailbox seems to give you the option of using Deutche Post, GLS, or UPS, to depending on size, and value, prices can range from €8 all the way to €125 with UPS and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone looking for a month's trial of free delivery's should consider opening an Amazon business account.

The required proof that you own a business or are a sole trader is a bit lax to say the least, ie. send a picture of your business card, a company letterhead or anything that features the company logo.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

VPNs don't work with Prime AFAIK, my account is UK but I know people who had issues accessing certain geoblocked content via VPN. I'm sure their FAQ list says they don't work too.

Would love if they did, gutted to see a cut in service

Amazon charge Irish VAT, you can't pay VAT twice on the same item within the EU. Couriers can not charge you handling fees when there is no VAT to be collected in Ireland.

Amazon are already shipping items with customs decoration forms and there are no customs charges with the free trade deal.

You can search for the EU - UK free trade agreement as a source.

harmless wrote: »
    Amazon charge Irish VAT, you can't pay VAT twice on the same item within the EU. Couriers can not charge you handling fees when there is no VAT to be collected in Ireland.

Amazon are already shipping items with customs decoration forms and there are no customs charges with the free trade deal.

You can search for the EU - UK free trade agreement as a source.

That's great but what about other websites like Ebay? Nothing from them

Brian2011 wrote: »
    People are still confused about companies that are Irish VAT registered and I was just reassuring them that there will be no issue in that situation.

It's far more complicated for Ebay who are not registered for VAT in Ireland.
    The process is outlined here
    https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/ebay-uk-eu-ecommerce-vat/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Caranica wrote:
    Would love if they did, gutted to see a cut in service

Smart dns will work
    Brian2011 wrote:

I sell on eBay to Ireland and the UK. Got an email from eBay. They will be adding VAT to my prices in the UK. My products will be 20 percent more expensive in the UK now compared Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Smart dns will work

I sell on eBay to Ireland and the UK. Got an email from eBay. They will be adding VAT to my prices in the UK. My products will be 20 percent more expensive in the UK now compared Ireland.

Can you not sell them to UK less the Irish VAT.

Can you not sell them to UK less the Irish VAT.

They can but for any small trader the process is a pain in the hole.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-on-services/when-is-vat-charged-on-services/vat-obligations-of-Irish-traders-supplying-services-to-business-customers-abroad.aspx

For a small business it comes down to if they can make enough profit to offset all the time that they or their staff spend on this.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »

Paying the VAT is bad enough but the €10 extra charge is just ridiculous! They will have to sort something better out in the coming weeks, this is just not affordable or reasonable.

Advertisement