Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can you not sell them to UK less the Irish VAT.

We don't know what the argument is going to be yet. I only sell a handful of things to the UK each month. I'll probably stop UK sales rather than having more messing around with the vat returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Paying the VAT is bad enough but the €10 extra charge is just ridiculous! They will have to sort something better out in the coming weeks, this is just not affordable or reasonable.

I'm not sure the government can dictate what charges the courier service set in a free market.

I'll only be ordering from UK business that are VAT registered here or businesses within the EU for now.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We don't know what the argument is going to be yet. I only sell a handful of things to the UK each month. I'll probably stop UK sales rather than having more messing around with the vat returns.

I imagine the process of selling to the UK will be the same as the process of selling to other countries outside the EU when it comes to VAT.
    At least there are no import tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

harmless wrote: »
    I'm not sure the government can dictate what charges the courier service set in a free market.

I'll only be ordering from UK business that are VAT registered here or businesses within the EU for now.

Can you list a few other than Amazon? What about Sports direct?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Paying the VAT is bad enough but the €10 extra charge is just ridiculous! They will have to sort something better out in the coming weeks, this is just not affordable or reasonable.

They are not there to make life easier for you to import products, you do know that? The UK have chosen to leave, they are now not part of the EU.

whiterebel wrote: »
    They are not there to make life easier for you to import products, you do know that? The UK have chosen to leave, they are now not part of the EU.

Very true, I'm not sure if the process of selling without VAT is deliberately difficult to encourage more trade within the single market or if it has to be that way to prevent fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Very true, I'm not sure if the process of selling without VAT is deliberately difficult to encourage more trade within the single market or if it has to be that way to prevent fraud.

Edit - Sorry, missed the bit without VAT.

Can you list a few other than Amazon? What about Sports direct?

Sports Direct do not show VAT charges on checkout so it is difficult to know for sure. The Irish brick and mortar stores will pay Irish VAT however they do their online sales for both the UK and Ireland through a company called Wareshop2 Limited who are not registered for VAT in Ireland as far as I know.

It's best to contact them before ordering.

The only UK companies I shop with frequently that are registered for VAT in Ireland are Amazon and Overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

Sports Direct do not show VAT charges on checkout so it is difficult to know for sure. The Irish brick and mortar stores will pay Irish VAT however they do their online sales for both the UK and Ireland through a company called Wareshop2 Limited who are not registered for VAT in Ireland as far as I know.

It's best to contact them before ordering.

The only UK companies I shop with frequently that are registered for VAT in Ireland are Amazon and Overclockers.co.uk

I hope Scan.co.uk start charging Irish Vat, they've been exceptionally good to me and friends.

OcUK are rather scalping recently on prices, and Scan are NVIDIA's official partner for selling Founder's Edition, Titan, and Quadro cards now.

Got my entire new workstation through them, and they pushed it through so early despite the Ryzen stock shortage.

I hope Scan.co.uk start charging Irish Vat, they've been exceptionally good to me and friends.

OcUK are rather scalping recently on prices, and Scan are NVIDIA's official partner for selling Founder's Edition, Titan, and Quadro cards now.

Got my entire new workstation through them, and they pushed it through so early despite the Ryzen stock shortage.

I hope so too, the fact that they never registered for Irish VAT while the UK was in the single market means that their sales to Ireland were below €75,000 a year.
    It's not clear how important the Irish market is to them

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

This will change in the future too, where they will start collecting VAT even if below €22

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx
    Note
    From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:
    be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value
    and
    always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

• Advertisement

Indeed, especially since it does not explain about companies in the UK registered for VAT in Ireland or how to avoid paying UK VAT if the company is not registered here.

It's clear that revenue do not wish to provide the Irish public on useful information on what they need to do when ordering from the UK in the new year.
    Perhaps it's an attempt to stimulate the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've been working with Saxoprint for ages, and they've been really good. Love their prices and quality.

Just a shame, I got an email today from their International Branch (EU Branch)

They have no intention of delivering to Ireland at all.
    Suggest I use a Parcel Forwarding company with their German branch if I want to stop using the UK one.

On the bright side a single Print item I usually get done to order is £19.90 incl UK VAT, and free shipping.

If the £ falls even a tad, they might still be an option for me; any larger orders and I'll have to use the German branch, and redo my designs there; then use mailboxde.com.

7M1BSAW.png

In fairness to saxo, they seem to only deliver to he countries they have actual presence in. You've been circumventing that entirely with a parcel address.

There is no change for them at all. They were never servicing Ireland in the first place have no local branch here at all. And have no comparison to Amazon at all. So a poor reference point for brexit changes. You asked them do to something theyve never offered.

drogon. wrote: »

It’s the fact that they are showing Duty payable from the UK is the reason I posted it. I can only think it was done before the agreement was reached, but its not dated and I cant find it either on Revenue or CCPC websites.

It’s the fact that they are showing Duty payable from the UK is the reason I posted it. I can only think it was done before the agreement was reached, but its not dated and I cant find it either on Revenue or CCPC websites.

Yeah this is very bad from revenue.

If revenue is spreading misinformation then people can't be expected to understand what to do when ordering from the UK in the new year.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/buying-goods-online.aspx

If you buy goods from Great Britain (UK without Northern Ireland) from 1 January 2021, you may have to pay:
    • Customs Duty
    • Excise Duty
    • Anti-Dumping Duty
    • Countervailing Duty
    • Value-Added Tax (VAT).

Complete misinformation, how can there be a comprehensive free trade deal and still be excise duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Kinda hoping someone here could answer this question im looking at buying something from ebay for 50 euro from the UK bearing in mind itll arrive here after 1st of January what exactly would the total cost be even a ballpark figure would do

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If revenue is spreading misinformation then people can't be expected to understand what to do when ordering from the UK in the new year.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/buying-goods-online.aspx

Complete misinformation, how can there be a comprehensive free trade deal and still be excise duty?

It's not misinformation you May have to pay it. That's factual. If you don't understand what a free trade deal means and origin is goods that's in you tbh.

They are correct in that sentence

shinzon wrote: »
    Kinda hoping someone here could answer this question im looking at buying something from ebay for 50 euro bearing in mind itll arrive here after 1st of January what exactly would the total cost be even a ballpark figure would do

Shin

Is it €50 including delivery fee?

€50 + €10.50(vat @ 21%) + €10 (vat handling fee from the courier)

Total: €70.50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Is it €50 including delivery fee?

€50 + €10.50(vat @ 21%) + €10 (vat handling fee from the courier)

Total: €70.50

Its free delivery

Shin

Excise duty may be payable no matter where it comes from. AFAIR, its not normally covered in any free trade agreements.

Excise duty may be payable no matter where it comes from. AFAIR, its not normally covered in any free trade agreements.

What about customs duty? It's listed too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm hoping to buy a pair of shoes from a small fashion store which has a shop outside London. The shoes are £62 with shipping to Ireland of £10 (in ye olden times, I would have used Parcel Wizard as UK delivery is free :( )

If I were to purchase these shoes now, granted they won't arrive until the New Year, I wonder how much I would be liable to pay in terms of VAT, etc. ?

Going on Whiterebel's screenshot above, if I were to say the value of the shoes equates to approx €70 and shipping at approx €12, with VAT of €17.50 and then a courier fee of €10 and delivery and insurance fee of €10... I'd be looking at €119.50 :eek: Is that right?

I wonder if I were to buy the shoes before the 31st of December (even though the items won't arrive until the new year), would the above fees still apply?

I'm hoping to buy a pair of shoes from a small fashion store which has a shop outside London. The shoes are £62 with shipping to Ireland of £10 (in ye olden times, I would used Parcel Wizard as UK delivery is free :( )

If I were to purchase these shoes now, granted they won't arrive until the New Year, I wonder how much I would be liable to pay in terms of VAT, etc. ?

Going on Whiterebel's screenshot above, if I were to say the value of the shoes equates to approx €70 and shipping at approx €12, with VAT of €17.50 and then a courier fee of €10 and delivery and insurance fee of €10... I'd be looking at €119.50 :eek: Is that right?

I wonder if I were to buy the shoes before the 31st of December (even though the items won't arrive until the new year), would the above fees still apply?

VAT is due at the time of entry even if you order now the VAT is going to the UK not Ireland (or any EU country)

Contact the company and see if they will sell to you VAT free as you are outside(or will be on Jan 1st) of the UK's VAT zone.

What about customs duty? It's listed too.

I was responding to this: “Complete misinformation, how can there be a comprehensive free trade deal and still be excise duty?“

The article is technically correct until it is ratified by both the UK and EU Ambassadors. If the EU don’t agree it until 2/3 week of January, I would have thought the UK would be treated the same as the US/China.

The article is technically correct until it is ratified by both the UK and EU Ambassadors. If the EU don’t agree it until 2/3 week of January, I would have thought the UK would be treated the same as the US/China.

It says from Jan 1st that there may be customs charges.
    Do you think Irish revenue may decide to implement these charges before the EU Parliament get a chance to ratify the deal?

I believe HM Revenue have removed info from their site about what happens if there is no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

From https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/brexit/

Section: What about taxes and other charges
    No additional taxes and charges will apply to packages arriving to Ireland from Great Britain which were dispatched before 11pm on 31 December 2020. If a consumer buys from a British website before 11pm on 31 December and the item is not dispatched by the retailer until 2021, then the package will be subject to VAT and any other applicable charges on entry in to Ireland.

Surely a mistake and should read imported but raises the question if there is a grace period.

Jim

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Amazon must be planning something for the Irish Market, there's no way they would be building infastructure around deliveries if the market is to essentially die (with the new duties/charges etc coming into effect re that graphic posted).

Amazon must be planning something for the Irish Market, there's no way they would be building infastructure around deliveries if the market is to essentially die (with the new duties/charges etc coming into effect re that graphic posted).

Amazon are VAT registered in Ireland, what other plans do you think they need?

They have already started including the necessary customs documents to prove no customs duty is owned in Ireland.

Amazon are VAT registered in Ireland, what other plans do you think they need?

So this graphic doesn't apply to them then in any way given thame UK is where stock is coming from?

So this graphic doesn't apply to them then in any way given thame UK is where stock is coming from?

With a trade deal and Amazon collecting VAT on behalf of the Irish and not the UK government for Irish customers then no.

This is why I consider that graphic confusing.

• Advertisement

This is why I consider that graphic confusing.

That it is :(

Would have been good for them to outline some of the more popular websites irish consumers use and the impact on those or just the difference between an e-tailer registered for Irish VAT and one who is not....too much to expect I guess.

Advertisement