Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

That it is :(

Would have been good for them to outline some of the more popular websites irish consumers use and the impact on those....too much to expect I guess.

I guess the one think I could say in defense of that graphic is that not many UK business are VAT registered in Ireland.

So for most UK companies it will be up to the Irish customer to try to get an invoice with no UK VAT included. And Irish VAT will be owed in this case at the point of entry to Ireland.

I don't think customs duty should be included in it at all unless they really do fear the UK or EU parliament would vote down the deal. But there is absently no warning signs that this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

harmless wrote: »
    Sports Direct do not show VAT charges on checkout so it is difficult to know for sure. The Irish brick and mortar stores will pay Irish VAT however they do their online sales for both the UK and Ireland through a company called Wareshop2 Limited who are not registered for VAT in Ireland as far as I know.

It's best to contact them before ordering.

The only UK companies I shop with frequently that are registered for VAT in Ireland are Amazon and Overclockers.co.uk

I just tested buying something on amazon uk there now and the vat is still in GBP Pounds??

Brian2011 wrote: »
    I just tested buying something on amazon uk there now and the vat is still in GBP Pounds??

Currency does not matter VAT rate does,

Calculate how much the VAT should be @21% and see if it adds up.

If the VAT is charged @20% you are being charged UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If the price is in £'s and it's the same % of VAT as here that would be right.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Currency does not matter VAT rate does,

Calculate how much the VAT should be @21% and see if it adds up.

If the VAT is charged @20% you are being charged UK VAT.

Ya 21%, I thought Irish vat rate was 23%

• Advertisement

Ya 21%, I thought Irish vat rate was 23%

It was changed in the last budget to 21%

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Until the end of February only, as it stands.

Akesh wrote: »
    Irish VAT for me. I assume your billing address is still UK?

No, he is being charged Irish VAT but the order is in GBP not Euro.

This is actually the best way to do it if your banks exchange rate is better than Amazon's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So will items under 22 have no VAT???

TheDriver wrote: »

Items from anywhere in the world with a value of €22 or under will have no duty or VAT payable.

Until 1st July 2021 when this exemption is removed by the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

No VAT for sub €22, until July 2021 when that exemption is being binned for all imports.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Smart dns will work

Any recommendations that will work on a smart telly?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Richer sounds

torrevieja wrote: »
    Richer sounds

Do they offer proxy services now?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So postage prices will be higher from UK now?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

There will be a handling fee from the delivery service if VAT is due on the item

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

just returned a parcel back to Amazon.co.uk ,

You print out a return label as normal and then you have to print out a bar code strip and place inside the package as normal, then you have to print out two international customs declaration that has your details the price and what is inside,

one you stick to the back of the envelope the other you show to the Post office

torrevieja wrote: »
    just returned a parcel back to Amazon.co.uk ,

You print out a return label as normal and then you have to print out a bar code strip and place inside the package as normal, then you have to print out two international customs declaration that has your details the price and what is inside,

one you stick to the back of the envelope the other you show to the Post office
    Yes and items that have arrived in Ireland from Amazon have had customs decorations on them for a while now.

Although there are no customs fees with the trade deal, customs forms must still be filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

What used to happen was a lot of UK retailers didn't want the hassle of dealing with Ireland. So they wouldn't deal with you. Parcel Motel solved that problem for many buyers. Now that's gone, I assume we'll go back to not being able to buy from a lot of UK retailers. They won't want the hassle .

beauf wrote: »
    What used to happen was a lot of UK retailers didn't want the hassle of dealing with Ireland. So they wouldn't deal with you. Parcel Motel solved that problem for many buyers. Now that's gone, I assume we'll go back to not being able to buy from a lot of UK retailers. They won't want the hassle .
    This is exactly how it will be.

Businesses in the UK that value the Irish market will make it as easy and as cheap as possible for Irish customers.

The ones that refuse to even offer reasonable delivery rates to Ireland are unlikely to make such efforts. I can't see them going to the trouble of filling UK VAT exemptions forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

westyIrl wrote: »
    Surely a mistake and should read imported but raises the question if there is a grace period.

Assuming you were querying the time of dispatch, the information quoted is correct. Imports that are in transit (with all relevant paperwork completed and documentary proof of having been handed to a transporter) up to and including 2359 CET 31-12-2020 (so before 23:00 GMT) will be treated the same as goods sent during the transition period regardless of when they actually enter the Union.

For the UK companies that are registered for Irish Vat, what happens after July 2021?

For the UK companies that are registered for Irish Vat, what happens after July 2021?

Nothing, you are never expected to pay VAT a second time on the same item once VAT is paid in the EU single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

A good article on shopping from the UK post brexit.. posted on the 23rd December- I believe it covers the agreement..

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/news/597642/explainer-what-will-change-for-donegal-people-shopping-online-or-in-the-north-after-brexit.html

emclau wrote: »
    A good article on shopping from the UK post brexit.. posted on the 23rd December- I believe it covers the agreement..

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/news/597642/explainer-what-will-change-for-donegal-people-shopping-online-or-in-the-north-after-brexit.html

Without attempting to read a page that has more adverts than info.
    How could they know about the details of the deal that was made on the 24th when this was published on the 23rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Items from anywhere in the world with a value of €22 or under will have no duty or VAT payable.

Until 1st July 2021 when this exemption is removed by the EU.

I'm sceptical that VAT will be collected on all items sold by Amazon......

I'm sceptical that VAT will be collected on all items sold by Amazon......
    It has been stated over and over on here that Irish VAT will continue to be collected by Amazon at the checkout as they are registered for VAT in Ireland.

What makes you think that after Amazon went to the trouble of registering for VAT here that they would stop collecting VAT on behalf of the Irish Government?
    It wouldn't make any sense.

It has been stated over and over on here that Irish VAT will continue to be collected by Amazon at the checkout as they are registered for VAT in Ireland.

What makes you think that after Amazon went to the trouble of registering for VAT here that they would stop collecting VAT on behalf of the Irish Government?
    It wouldn't make any sense.

What about private smaller sellers on the Amazon website? They probably won't bother registering for Irish Vat, so I think it would be items only directly sold from Amazon and not the private sellers on there if you get me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Assuming you were querying the time of dispatch, the information quoted is correct. Imports that are in transit (with all relevant paperwork completed and documentary proof of having been handed to a transporter) up to and including 2359 CET 31-12-2020 (so before 23:00 GMT) will be treated the same as goods sent during the transition period regardless of when they actually enter the Union.

Have you got a link for that? Any import documentation I have ever seen is for the date of arrival in the state, nothing to do with the dates it is in transit.

• Advertisement

What about private smaller sellers on the Amazon website? They probably won't bother registering for Irish Vat, so I think it would be items only directly sold from Amazon and not the private sellers on there if you get me.
    That's a good point, items from others sellers that are fulfilled by Amazon seem to be OK and add the correct Irish VAT.

Items not fulfilled by Amazon show no VAT calculations so I can only assume you are being charged UK VAT and Irish VAT will be due on the item.

Advertisement