Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

No, nightline did a lot of deliveries outside of parcel motel.. Alcohol, cigarettes and other excisable goods seemed to be one of their specialities

Thanks for confirming. I didn't think parcel motel was a big part of their business but was not sure. I doubt if it factored into the UPS takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Quackster wrote: »
    To be fair, 21% VAT on the price of cheap Chinese tat won't be too hard to stomach.

When you add the €10 PO fee to collect 84 cents of VAT for the €4 (incl. shipping) chinese tat......well you get the idea. Not as serious as the brexit hit but all the same it stacks up.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1229/1186872-an-post-brexit-plans/

This link has probably been posted into this thread already, but just in case it hasn't...................

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1229/1186872-an-post-brexit-plans/

This link has probably been posted into this thread already, but just in case it hasn't...................

"Our priority is to make the changes as easy as possible for customers," he added.

What would make things far more easy would be to drop the €10 admin charge to something much more reasonable like €1/2. It’s not like An Post have to even do much work in collecting these fees.

Better yet, customs should set up an official online platform for ALL packages with fees coming into Ireland, regardless of carrier, no/minimal admin charges, pay directly using your card and electronic notice is automatically sent to the carrier to release the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

So, last week I checked all my subscribe and save items (x5) At that time, they were all and had previously been "dispatched from and sold by Amazon"

Just checking now, and none are Amazon. Prices all risen hugely and delivery prices around £12 per item. FFS

Also just found this on the website, which seems to be new.

Ordering›
    Brexit and Deliveries to Republic of Ireland
    Due to the new trading relationship between the UK and EU as a result of Brexit, there may be some changes to ordering and delivery of items sold or fulfilled by Amazon on Amazon.co.uk.

Note: This information is subject to change as and when further guidance is issued by EU and UK Governments in respect of Brexit. We will always strive to ensure continuity for our customers where possible, adapting to the new relationship between the UK and EU.

Ordering and Deliveries
    Customers in the Republic of Ireland will continue to receive great value, selection and the most convenient delivery options when shopping on Amazon.co.uk. Due to additional requirements by local customs authorities for deliveries to the Republic of Ireland from 1 January 2021, some deliveries may take slightly longer than usual. Your delivery date at checkout and in Your Orders will provide our most accurate and up-to-date estimate of the delivery date for an order. If there's any changes to your order's delivery date after you checkout due to unforeseen issues, we'll always strive to notify you as soon as possible.

Due to additional requirements. some items may be unavailable for delivery to your selected Republic of Ireland delivery address. If you're signed into your account when shopping, product detail page messaging or checkout will let you know whether an item can be delivered to you. If you're buying on Amazon Marketplace, each individual Seller may have their own delivery restrictions and you'll need to check the Seller's Storefront to see these. See our Delivery Restrictions pages for more information.

VAT and Import Fees
    For deliveries of goods sold or fulfilled by Amazon to the Republic of Ireland, Amazon.co.uk will calculate the applicable VAT and Import Fees during the checkout process, as follows:

where the value of your package is €22 or less, we do not expect taxes to be due
    where the value of your order exceeds €22, customs duties, taxes and fees ("Import Fees") may be payable. In these circumstances, we will collect an estimate of Import Fees ("Import Fee Deposit") at checkout. These funds will be used to pay the import fees on your behalf to the appropriate authorities when your package reaches the Republic of Ireland. The estimated import fee deposit will be displayed in the order summary at checkout. For more information regarding Amazon's import fee deposit process, please visit our help page.
    For deliveries of goods sold and fulfilled by Marketplace Sellers on Amazon.co.uk, the price you pay at checkout should include all costs required for deliveries to the selected address. We work closely with Sellers to ensure they adhere to these requirements. If you encounter any issues with a Marketplace order, you should contact the Seller as a first step for resolution, and if the Seller does not resolve the issue, you can file a claim using our Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

Amazon Business customers should continue to refer to the dedicated Amazon Business help pages.

Returns
    There is no change to our returns policy - we will continue to accept eligible returns for goods sold or fulfilled by Amazon from customers in the Republic of Ireland after Brexit.

Visit our help page to learn more about our returns policy.

If your order was sold and dispatched by a Seller on Amazon Marketplace, you can learn more about arranging Marketplace Returns and Refunds.

Prime
    As an Amazon Prime member living outside of the UK, you'll continue to receive many Prime benefits including delivery, Prime Video (via https://www.primevideo.com/), Kindle, photo, deals and sharing benefits for £79.00 a year or £7.99 a month. Our help page has more information on Amazon Prime for non-UK residents.

Please note, Import Fees and / or any additional charges for customs clearance for delivery of items to the Republic of Ireland are distinct from and separate to delivery fees, and such fees must be paid by the recipient (customer), irrespective of Prime membership status.

More information on Amazon Prime, including how to manage your Prime membership, can be found on our help pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

rm212 wrote: »
    "Our priority is to make the changes as easy as possible for customers," he added.

What would make things far more easy would be to drop the €10 admin charge to something much more reasonable like €1/2. It’s not like An Post have to even do much work in collecting these fees.

Better yet, customs should set up an official online platform for ALL packages with fees coming into Ireland, regardless of carrier, no/minimal admin charges, pay directly using your card and electronic notice is automatically sent to the carrier to release the package.

Looks like AddressPal will charge you a flat tenner to use their service (plus the extra VAT collected if applicable) BUT at least that includes delivery from the UK at well as the admin charge - €6.50 AddressPal charge plus a €3.50 collection admin fee. Would be great if that €3.50 fee was made standard... which *might* be the case according to the last paragraph below! The main An Post website still states "a minimum charge of €10 per packet" but this is a fluid situation and it might not have been updated...

"Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise these charges and An Post can collect them on their behalf.

From January 1st the UK will also be outside of the EU. All UK and USA deliveries will be subject to Revenue inspection for customs and/or VAT charges.

From this date, a fee of €3.50 will be charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the European Union. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable. Items coming from destinations outside the EU may be subject to delay due to customs examination."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

@kathleen37 post

That's definitely shed some light on what's going to happen.

I'm definitely waiting it out now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've checked my subscribe and save items-I have over 50 of them that I rotate on different months. Most are still available from Amazon. Some seem to be currently unavailable on subscribe and save, though I will get next month's delivery (I hope) as the orders were renewed in mid December. This has happened before and they often come back when they get more stock. A few no longer could be delivered to my Irish address-though when I tried putting in a new S&S order for one item it worked.

I noticed a couple of months ago that Amazon were no longer showing price changes on items for the next delivery on my subscribe and save page. I've been using Keepa to track price drops, or checking prices manually as it is sometimes slow to report changes.

Edited to say, I had a look at the cat food subscribe and save section and there are only seven items listed now:eek: I tried my old Parcel Wizard address and the rest magically appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭davetherave

rm212 wrote: »

It has always been the case that any package that attracts import charges will also incur an An Post handling fee of €10. It is just being more publicly noticed now that it affects parcels coming from the UK. What makes €2 reasonable but €10 unreasonable?

DHL Express do the second part of your message anyway, as do I assume UPS and Fedex.

I get regular shipments from a company in Taiwan, via Leipzig, East Midlands and then Dublin. Everything is above board, correct invoices get uploaded to the DHL system from their end and once it arrives in Dublin I get an email and a text telling me to go the payments site to reimburse DHL. Their fee is 2.5% of the credit advanced with minimum charge of 14.50 EUR but it means because they are a clearance agent your imports skip the queue of everything that is coming in via the normal post.

To take an example. A parcel addressed to Joe Byrne, 41 Main Street, Granard, Co Longford from Toronto, Canada arrives in on a flight to Dublin Airport. It was posted with Canada Post, and now An Post are going to deliver it to Granard. How do you propose that the transaction value (This is the invoice price plus the cost of transport and insurance) gets assessed to see if vat or duty is due. If it is, how does Joe get notified? What is wrong with the current system whereby each delivery/courier acts as a direct representative for the consignee and completes the the import process on their behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Do items coming from outside the EU with a value less than €22 ( incl. Shipping) attract any customs / vat fees or an post handling fees ? I've some low value packages coming from Ali Express.

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    Do items coming from outside the EU with a value less than €22 ( incl. Shipping) attract any customs / vat fees or an post handling fees ? I've some low value packages coming from Ali Express.

Not at the moment but come July 2021 all packages from outside EU will be liable for customs/VAT.

Jim

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

westyIrl wrote: »
    Not at the moment but come July 2021 all packages from outside EU will be liable for customs/VAT.

Jim

But if I read somewhere revenue don’t bother collecting VAT €6 or less is this not irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I just got an e-mail this morning saying that my subscribe and save subscriptions can no longer be delivered to my address :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Joziburg wrote: »
    But if I read somewhere revenue don’t bother collecting VAT €6 or less is this not irrelevant?

It will be the responsibility of the online merchant to charge the relevant VAT at the time of sale and send it (quarterly, I think) to the EU's collection agency. At the moment, it falls to each member state to try to intercept, evaluate and retroactively apply VAT to imports. That's obviously very inefficient (hence the "just not worth it" 6€ threshold) ... which is why the new process is being brought in.

I haven't seen anything to this effect, but I wouldn't be surprised if packages sent without VAT being applied at the point-of-sale have a surcharge applied for the merchant's failure to comply with the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Increasingly getting stuff delivered next day, by amazon delivery drivers. Wonder if they’re ramping up use of the local delivery hub / warehouse.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

westyIrl wrote: »
    When you add the €10 PO fee to collect 84 cents of VAT for the €4 (incl. shipping) chinese tat......well you get the idea. Not as serious as the brexit hit but all the same it stacks up.

Jim
    Of course, but I'd expect all the major Chinese online marketplaces to collect EU VAT on behalf of their sellers using the new I-OSS system from 1st July, so the €10 fee wouldn't be applicable.

Not Amazon related, but I hope nobody minds if I ask here...

I had a package delivered yesterday morning from FedEx, from outside the EU. Customs declaration put the value of the item at €32.

I got a text from FedEx just a few minutes ago, asking for customs and excise charge of €28.68? (and a link to go online and pay it).

I know they charge VAT etc on the shipping cost on top of the value, and an admin charge - even though it affectively doubles the price of the item - but my question is, is it normal that they deliver the item first then text you to pay the charges the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I had a package delivered yesterday morning from FedEx, from outside the EU. Customs declaration put the value of the item at €32.

I got a text from FedEx just a few minutes ago, asking for customs and excise charge of €28.68? (and a link to go online and pay it).

I know they charge VAT etc on the shipping cost on top of the value, and an admin charge - even though it affectively doubles the price of the item - but my question is, is it normal that they deliver the item first then text you to pay the charges the next day?

Customs slap the fee on it in the clearing warehouse and the carrier will tell you then. Amazon are pre-empting this but a random shipper won't.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Customs slap the fee on it in the clearing warehouse and the carrier will tell you then. Amazon are pre-empting this but a random shipper won't.

Yes I know this - but usually whenever I've had a package that incurred customs charges before, they don't release it until the charges were paid.

An Post usually arrive with it and ask for cash, or drop in a card if no one is home, to go and pay in the sorting office.

The FedEx guy yesterday said nothing about customs, he literally just handed it to me an walked away. Then I got the text today to pay charges online.

I'm not objecting to paying the charges, (even though they piss me off) I'm just surprised they delivered the item before they were paid. How are they going to guarantee people will pay if they do it this way?

• Advertisement

Yep had this also with Fedex and if you don't pay they will keep sending bills. All the other shippers (DHL, UPS, etc) required payment upfront. Fedex shipments always seem to get inspected by customs for some reason or maybe it was just my experience with them.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Fed Ex charge 15e fee so the rest is VAT on the total amount of goods and shipping....
    https://www.fedex.com/en-ie/billing/duty-tax.html

13.68 x (100/21) = 65.14

So they're valuing the goods and shipping at 65.14.

Have they provided a breakdown of the 28.68?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Fed Ex charge 15e fee so the rest is VAT on the total amount of goods and shipping....
    https://www.fedex.com/en-ie/billing/duty-tax.html

13.68 x (100/21) = 65.14

So they're valuing the goods and shipping at 65.14.

Have they provided a breakdown of the 28.66?

No, literally just a text message, with the amount and a link. The customs declaration on the packet values the item at 4200 JPY, which is approx €32, according to my banks currency converter :(

It was sent by FedEx Express from Japan, and arrived in 3 days from ordering, so its possible the rest is the delivery charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Will customs be opening packages, Id prefer them not to see my anime lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

No, literally just a text message, with the amount and a link. The customs declaration on the packet values the item at 4200 JPY, which is approx €32, according to my banks currency converter :(

It was sent by FedEx Express from Japan, and arrived in 3 days from ordering, so its possible the rest is the delivery charge!

How much were you charged when ordering? Whatever that amount is, that's the basis of the VAT due. Ask them for a breakdown and show them the invoice amount.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    How much were you charged when ordering? Whatever that amount is, that's the basis of the VAT due. Ask them for a breakdown and show them the invoice amount.

Okay, that's very interesting because the shipping charge was only $12.99.

It was an ebay sale.

Thank you.

(eta) the paypal transaction was €47.86 in total, including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Amazon have just cancelled about 30 pre orders I had for next year, it looks like a supply issue as the majority are from the same 3 publishers and using a UK VPN you can see they have disappeared from Amazon itself.

I am fully expecting them to show up again but it shows items we took for granted may not be as readily available till everything starts to settle down.

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Will customs be opening packages, Id prefer them not to see my anime lol

The customs declaration was attached to my package in a resealable plastic pouch, so it could be opened - but I just assumed the seller declared the value when arranging the shipment with FedEx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

out of interest how well is an post prepared for this, i mean Ireland must receive metric tons of parcels mail on daily basis, as where i work were having 1-3 weeks delays on NDD shipments within ireland, and just guessing this two week time down, only adds on.

as hard to imagine waiting 2-3 weeks until they check, collect fees handling vat customs etc being the new normal from uk.
    As sure they are banging the drum, while our current postie has to load 3 ton pallets into a 2 ton max capacity van, and then unload it afterwards himself lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I added something to my basket on Amazon for £10. There was VAT on it. Thought I'd be able to buy some stuff VAT free between now and July.

Advertisement