Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i buy a lot from amazon but am putting everything on hold until things settle down and there is more clarity. cancelled my prime membership for now also.

so from what i currently understand:
    in the past when i used my addresspal address on amazon for items which wouldn't ship to ireland, i only got charged uk vat rate when i checked out as they were going to a uk address. which was a bit of a loophole i guess and helped offset the addresspal fee.

due to the brexit agreement there are no customs duties payable on anything coming from the uk, only vat differences, correct?

so from now on i'm guessing an post will be charging the minimum addresspal fee of €10 plus the vat difference each time i use addresspal going forwards? ( for items worth less than €22 until mid next year)

also i wonder how does this work when purchasing 2nd hand items on ebay uk for shipping to the uk addresspal address? you don't charge vat on 2nd hand items is that correct?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

2nd hand items are treated no differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Wheety wrote: »
    I added something to my basket on Amazon for £10. There was VAT on it. Thought I'd be able to buy some stuff VAT free between now and July.

That would be the case for a non VAT registered crowd but Amazon are like Dunnes, registered to collect 21% vat for Irish revenue on all amounts.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bb12 wrote: »
    i buy a lot from amazon but am putting everything on hold until things settle down and there is more clarity. cancelled my prime membership for now also.

so from what i currently understand:
    in the past when i used my addresspal address on amazon for items which wouldn't ship to ireland, i only got charged uk vat rate when i checked out as they were going to a uk address. which was a bit of a loophole i guess and helped offset the addresspal fee.

due to the brexit agreement there are no customs duties payable on anything coming from the uk, only vat differences, correct?

so from now on i'm guessing an post will be charging the minimum addresspal fee of €10 plus the vat difference each time i use addresspal going forwards? ( for items worth greater than €22 until mid next year)

also i wonder how does this work when purchasing 2nd hand items on ebay uk for shipping to the uk addresspal address? you don't charge vat on 2nd hand items is that correct?
    You will be charged the full 21% Irish VAT on anything liable for VAT you get from GB via AddressPal. It matters not a jot if you've already paid UK VAT on any item. There is no exemption for second-hand items.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I ordered an item Saturday that was £105, it was due for delivery on the 5th but arrived today. The young lad ordered a computer part last week, it and a more expensive version of the same part also arrived today. He contacted them and they told him keep both of them.

On December 7th I ordered and paid for an item from a private seller in UK, he posted it that same day, that also arrived today.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I just got an e-mail this morning saying that my subscribe and save subscriptions can no longer be delivered to my address :(

Following on from this I did a bit of investigating of items I’ve purchased previously/regularly and almost half of them show up as currently unavailable when I’m signed in however when I sign out and use a vpn from another country(not just UK) I get the option to purchase and it says free delivery on your first eligible order to UK or Ireland. So they say they are still sending to Ireland when signed out with vpn but when I sign in they show as currently unavailable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

Amazon cancelled an arcade stick I had on pre-order with them since the beginning of the month. Was due for release mid-January. No explanation given in the email. When I contacted support I was told it's a technical issue and to try again in 48 hours. (Lingo for fobbing me off I suspect, as 48 hours from now is a public holiday).

Funnily enough it's still on their site, and can be ordered from a UK address. If you try an Irish address now it just won't allow delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭otterj

Will I be asked to pay customs if I order on amazon today and its delivered in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

otterj wrote: »
    Will I be asked to pay customs if I order on amazon today and its delivered in January?
    no, amazon ebay are already setup, what you pay on checkout is final price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

How do eBay calculate their import fees? I was looking at an item (from the US) which was $245 and $26 postage. The predicted import fees were $146! That seems far too high. The total price in euro is ~ €220. Therefore VAT should be €46. Are they charging an exorbitant handling fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

VAT and Duty normally rounds up about 40% IIRC plus handling fee

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

VG31 wrote: »
    How do eBay calculate their import fees? I was looking at an item (from the US) which was $245 and $26 postage. The predicted import fees were $146! That seems far too high. The total price in euro is ~ €220. Therefore VAT should be €46. Are they charging an exorbitant handling fee?

its probably extra customs fees. the brexit deal means no customs tariffs between eu and uk. but customs duty is payable on goods from US

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Following on from this I did a bit of investigating of items I’ve purchased previously/regularly and almost half of them show up as currently unavailable when I’m signed in however when I sign out and use a vpn from another country(not just UK) I get the option to purchase and it says free delivery on your first eligible order to UK or Ireland. So they say they are still sending to Ireland when signed out with vpn but when I sign in they show as currently unavailable again.

Have you a courier as your delivery address in your amazon account?

corkie wrote: »
    Have you a courier as your delivery address in your amazon account?

No, using my home address. Funnily enough even when I’m signed out but not using a vpn the items show as currently unavailable but as soon as I turn the vpn on for any country they show as available to deliver to UK or Ireland :confused:

This hay is an example, got it monthly on subscribe and save until now it’s been cancelled by amazon but if I check it while signed out it will show as available to deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

No, using my home address. Funnily enough even when I’m signed out but not using a vpn the items show as currently unavailable but as soon as I turn the vpn on for any country they show as available to deliver to UK or Ireland :confused:

This hay is an example, got it monthly on subscribe and save until now it’s been cancelled by amazon but if I check it while signed out it will show as available to deliver to Ireland.

I see, ordering from Ireland is not possible but using a VPN I can order to France.
    Could the border down the Irish Sea be causing extra problems for small sellers on Amazon?
    I don't think there is the same issue with orders fulfilled by Amazon.

GreyAlien wrote: »
    Amazon cancelled an arcade stick I had on pre-order with them since the beginning of the month. Was due for release mid-January. No explanation given in the email. When I contacted support I was told it's a technical issue and to try again in 48 hours. (Lingo for fobbing me off I suspect, as 48 hours from now is a public holiday).

Funnily enough it's still on their site, and can be ordered from a UK address. If you try an Irish address now it just won't allow delivery.

Just got an e-mail too saying they cancelled a pre-order on me for February but fortunately I was able to pre-order it again. Seems like they are cancelling all pre-orders that were made before the trade deal was agreed.

It's possible that there are regulatory barriers on importing things like this into the Single Market that have to be worked out so Amazon has just disabled them, at least for the time being.

^^^ Hay: - https://www.amazon.de/Petlife-Oxbow-Orchard-Grass-Small/dp/B000WFKP80/

Available on .de but +€9.11 Shipping, don't know what you where paying in UK?

Been reported as out of stock on UK.

Quackster wrote: »
    It's possible that there are regulatory barriers on importing things like this into the Single Market that have to be worked out so Amazon has just disabled them, at least for the time being.

The seller is in England and not fulfilled by Amazon, it can be ordered from Amazon UK and shipped to France but not Ireland.

But showing in stock if you have an IP address from mainland Europe.

harmless wrote: »
    I see, ordering from Ireland is not possible but using a VPN I can order to France.
    Could the border down the Irish Sea be causing extra problems for small sellers on Amazon?
    I don't think there is the same issue with orders fulfilled by Amazon.

As far as I can see the hay and all the other items I checked were sold and dispatched from Amazon themselves which is why I’m so confused. I’d definitely understand if it was a smaller seller, they probably wouldn’t want the extra hassle of having to fill out the customs forms and making sure the Irish Vat rate was applied but from amazon themselves?

• Advertisement

As far as I can see the hay and all the other items I checked were sold and dispatched from Amazon themselves which is why I’m so confused. I’d definitely understand if it was a smaller seller, they probably wouldn’t want the extra hassle of having to fill out the customs forms and making sure the Irish Vat rate was applied but from amazon themselves?

The only options I get with a French VPN is sold and dispatched by PetMonkey Limited(SUFFOLK) not fulfilled by Amazon as far as I can tell.
    £19.95 for item + £40.00 shipping to France.

I get currently unavailable when using my real Irish IP.

^^^ Hay: - https://www.amazon.de/Petlife-Oxbow-Orchard-Grass-Small/dp/B000WFKP80/

Available on .de but +€9.11 Shipping, don't know what you where paying in UK?

Thanks for checking for me! Unfortunately it’s a fair bit dearer than the uk price, it was about € 12/13 delivered which was great but there’s another site I use call vetuk that has almost everything I want for the fussy little critters. They have suspended postage outside the UK temporarily while they sort things out but I hope they’ll be back up and shipping to Ireland again soon, just a bit dearer than amazon.

As a previous poster said about amazon they may just be suspending products temporarily while they work things out, let’s hope for the best and that the products available don’t become more restrictive for Irish customers.

Made a mistake in the last post it is actually £19.95 item cost and £40.00 shipping to France so you can tell by the shipping price it is not fulfilled by Amazon.

Possibly suspended shipping to Ireland until they can come up with a reasonably priced solution.

The seller is in England and not fulfilled by Amazon, it can be ordered from Amazon UK and shipped to France but not Ireland.

But showing in stock if you have an IP address from mainland Europe.
    Yeah, I think there will to be no shortage of anomalies over the next weeks and months. An inevitable consequence of an international trade agreement coming into effect a mere few days after it's been signed off on.

Made a mistake in the last post it is actually £19.95 item cost and £40.00 shipping to France so you can tell by the shipping price it is not fulfilled by Amazon.

Possibly suspended shipping to Ireland until they can come up with a reasonably priced solution.

Needless to say I think I’ll be finding another supplier ...although the bargain is tempting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well, I've just had a look and I can order it on Amazon France and pay 25€44 (free delivery, sold and fulfilled by Amazon)

It's an American import, so I reckon it is an example of Amazon not being geared up for re-export to Ireland from their UK operation.

But FFS - who'd buy hay from America? We have more than enough of it here in Europe! Veterinary approved and all!

Needless to say I think I’ll be finding another supplier ...although the bargain is tempting :pac:

Amazon was probably convenient but why not by locally instead?

https://petsplus.ie/product/friendly-timothy-hay-1kg/
    ^^^ Or some other Irish store?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Plenty of hay and straw available on zooplus.ie. Cheaper than Amazon, by the looks of it too, but free delivery only kicks in over 49€

Well, I've just had a look and I can order it on Amazon France and pay 25€44 (free delivery, sold and fulfilled by Amazon)

It's an American import, so I reckon it is an example of Amazon not being geared up for re-export to Ireland from their UK operation.

But FFS - who'd buy hay from America? We have more than enough of it here in Europe! Veterinary approved and all!

Yes from Amazon.fr, I was looking on the link given from Amazon.co.uk where it is not sold or fulfilled by Amazon but by a company based in England.

I guess it does show that it's time to make the move to websites within the EU where possible.

• Advertisement

Oh believe me I’ve tried to get them to eat other brands instead but they turn their noses up, would make my life so much easier to buy from a local pet shop and not try to find somewhere online selling imported US hay!

I don’t buy timothy hay anymore as they only really enjoy the third cut, the first and second cuts are just too inconsistent in texture and flavour whereas I’ve found the oxbow orchard grass to be the most consistent of any hay I’ve ever bought, it’s always the same colour, texture and sweetness but I haven’t found any similar hay quality in Ireland that is also consistent and doesn’t get yellow/brownish and stalky at certain times of year. They just throw it everywhere and won’t eat it when it’s like that. Had the same problem with several hays from zooplus, also ended up importing some insect friends a couple of times from them :eek: I didn’t think I’d be talking about hay so much tonight!

Advertisement