Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Went to order something today via prime and it’s showing a delivery date of 10th January. It’s in stock and yesterday it was showing one day delivery. Sold by Amazon.

Also ordered a desk recently via a marketplace seller that came from Germany (ordered on co.uk). Today checked the same product and no longer available to order to Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Amazon UK shows a Kindle with free delivery to Ireland. When you check out, the only alternative is to pay £6 shipping. Actually comes in at only €4 cheaper than Argos.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Quackster wrote: »
    You will be charged the full 21% Irish VAT on anything liable for VAT you get from GB via AddressPal. It matters not a jot if you've already paid UK VAT on any item. There is no exemption for second-hand items.

how does that work? It used to be that exports from UK were zero rated to countries outside EU, is that changed

If I buy a used item now from UK and the price has no uk vat because it's exported, or the seller is under the vat registration, or its a private individual, then is it not only irish vat that's due if the amount is over 22e. :confused:

Plus customs duty if over 150e also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Kindle Paperwhite showing an estimated delivery date of 22nd March. Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

dubmick wrote: »
    Kindle Paperwhite showing an estimated delivery date of 22nd March. Wtf

It's probably in a warehouse that's outside the UK and EU. I've seen this with kindles before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

harmless wrote: »
    It's probably in a warehouse that's outside the UK and EU. I've seen this with kindles before.

3 months.

Nope sorry that's not something that's regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

listermint wrote: »
    3 months.

Nope sorry that's not something that's regular.

Jan 18 - March 22
    Possibly a disruption in the supply chain but the high variance in delivery time looks typical of something that's on a slow boat from Asia.

It's not a brexit issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

harmless wrote: »
    Jan 18 - March 22
    Possibly a disruption in the supply chain but the high variance in delivery time looks typical of something that's on a slow boat from Asia.

It's not a brexit issue.

Entirely disagree. I order from Asia all the time. It's 28 to 35 days.

90 days is lunar stuff. Not China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ihatecocopops

How does free shipping with amazon prime get treated with customs. Am I right in thinking I won't have to pay anything extra if product and postage is less than €22.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

GreyAlien wrote: »
    Amazon cancelled an arcade stick I had on pre-order with them since the beginning of the month.

And it's back now, bizarre. Ordered and allowing delivery to Ireland, hopefully won't get cancelled again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Just had a look at my last 5 orders on Amazon. Each one of them now have a higher price of about 25% and 3 of them won't ship to Ireland now (when I get to checkout). Amazon will be dead in the water for us in the short term Id say

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

how does that work? It used to be that exports from UK were zero rated to countries outside EU, is that changed

If I buy a used item now from UK and the price has no uk vat because it's exported, or the seller is under the vat registration, or its a private individual, then is it not only irish vat that's due if the amount is over 22e. :confused:

Plus customs duty if over 150e also.
    Yes, but if you buy from a UK retailer and ship to AddressPal, it's pretty inevitable that the retailer will apply UK VAT to the transaction as, as far as they're concerned, they're shipping to a domestic address.

And then when that parcel hits customs on arrival in Ireland, it'll be assessed for Irish VAT. The fact that UK VAT may have already been paid matters not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I placed an order with Amazon on very early Tuesday morning and selected free shipping and it was due on Jan 7th, it arrived this morning.

The new style mailing label contains an in-built CN-22 mailing label with the price of the goods contained within. Mine was £23.31 which was €25.00 on my own credit card. I have no idea whether this would have been VAT liable or not but since it came in today before the 11pm exit from the Customs Union.

I think this parcel may have arrived from Manchester based off the MAN1 code.

Would An-Post have hit me for the €10 handling fee and plus the VAT since this was pver the €22 threshold which continues until July 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Hi guys, i'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but if i order something from the UK today, will i be stung by customs? Site i've used before sent me a 15 pound voucher because my order hasn't come yet so am tempted to use it before the deadline but maybe not if its defo going to be subject to customs....

Also, on the order i made back in November which should have come before Christmas but which won't be hear until next week, where do i stand with customs there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

MicroSD card ordered on Christmas Day. Just checked and the website says it was despatched. Clicking into track package and it says the order is cancelled as undeliverable!!! No emails from Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Maybe someone could start a thread with a list of EU online stores:
    I know Zalando and Zooplus are German based so that would mean we avoid all vat and customs??

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I've had 3 subscribe and save orders cancelled today, got an email for 1 and when I went to look 3 of them said they couldn't deliver to my address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I'm not able to buy a single thing, even things I bought within the last month. Product details say they ship to Ireland, yet the second I get to checkout it says "Sorry, this item can't be sent to your selected address". Spoke with 3 different customer service reps and they all assured me they still ship to Ireland and it has nothing to do with Brexit, but they didn't have an answer as to why the shipping error keeps appearing. I was told to check back in 48 hrs. One of the products has risen in price by £4 over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Brian2011 wrote: »
    I know Zalando and Zooplus are German based so that would mean we avoid all vat and customs??

Home ~ Topics ~ Business & Finance ~ Consumer ~ Online Buying & Auctions ~ Great EU shopping sites

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

theguzman wrote: »
    Would An-Post have hit me for the €10 handling fee and plus the VAT since this was pver the €22 threshold which continues until July 1.

Was it sold or fulfilled by Amazon? If so, Irish VAT would have already been included in the price, as Amazon are registered for VAT here.

The issues around paying extra Irish VAT will only arise if you buy from stores or merchants in the UK that aren’t VAT registered here, and don’t collect Irish VAT at the time of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

rm212 wrote: »
    This is an absolute mess with little transparency on exactly how things will be handled.

Technically speaking you could make the argument that anything bought before 31/12/20 which had UK VAT charged on it, is VAT paid in an EU member state (as the UK is up to that time) and so it should not be subject to import VAT on entry into Ireland.

Having read that document, it seems to be very plainly and indisputably laid out that what I said was correct; anything which begun transport from the UK prior to 31/12/20 will still be treated as goods in free circulation within the union even if they arrive in Ireland after:

“Where an economic operator bringing goods from the UK to the customs territory of the Union after the end of the transition period, when presenting the goods to customs at the border between the UK and the Union after the end of that period, can provide proof that the goods are Union goods and that the movement started in the UK or in an EU Member State before the end of the transition period, those goods must be treated as Union goods, i.e. in free circulation in the customs territory of the Union, and do not need to be placed under a customs procedure.”

https://www.vatupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/2020-12-23-Brexit-deal.pdf
    Article 5.3

That makes the most sense to me. You cannot control when something arrives due to delivery delays, but you can control when you purchase it. If something was shipped before 31/12/20, it means that you paid VAT in an EU member state at the time of purchase and so those goods are union goods in free circulation and should be treated as such when they arrive in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Brian2011 wrote: »

Already done!

Edit (corkie got there before me - same thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

They do a click and collect, so for those near the border it's an option worth looking at, especially for high priced items?

Having said that, using a NI click and collect address it still is saying unavailable for most things I'm looking at....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

If it is of any interest to anyone, I bought a phone from a Dutch website called Belsimpel a couple of weeks ago. Postage was free and they used UPS - got the phone within 48 hours. I was really impressed.

Having said that, I’ve been making more of an effort lately to buy in Ireland. I know that is easier said than done but I personally think it is a good thing that we will be less reliant on Amazon from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

revelman wrote: »
    If it is of any interest to anyone, I bought a phone from a Dutch website called Belsimpel a couple of weeks ago. Postage was free and they used UPS - got the phone within 48 hours. I was really impressed.

Having said that, I’ve been making more of an effort lately to buy in Ireland. I know that is easier said than done but I personally think it is a good thing that we will be less reliant on Amazon from now on.

As long as we don't see a up in prices knowing we cant go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    As long as we don't see a up in prices knowing we cant go elsewhere.

Amazon USA has an algorthim that calculates customs and excise down to a tee.. bought Wrangler Jeans recently for $26.00 + shipping / customs $24 - All in they were delivered to my door $50.00, possibly slightly cheaper than Amazon UK as well.

Amazon UK will go the same way with their calculated all in charge for goods delivered from UK.

I need to spend a £140 Amazon voucher between now and midnight...lol... panic stations...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Disturbingly the amount of stuff avaliable for two day delivery and even delivery to ROI has dropped since yesterday....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I recently got Prime and f**k is it fast, from Germany to Ireland in 2 days in Covid times. Even other stuff from UK in 1 day. Why didn't I have this sooner.

Could also track the driver and it showed me where he was and when he'd be at my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I am returning something to Amazon.

I selected return using An Post and the returns address is Portlaoise

Has it always been this?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Disturbingly the amount of stuff avaliable for two day delivery and even delivery to ROI has dropped since yesterday....

Yup

Checked some items yesterday and it was next day delivery. Now it's the 13th of January 😱

Hoping this is just a couple of weeks issue

Advertisement