Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

I am returning something to Amazon.

I selected return using An Post and the returns address is Portlaoise

Has it always been this?

Yup has been the case few times I had to send back stuff. I think AnPost probably has a container in Portlaoise and once it is full, it gets shipped back to their warehouse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I recently got Prime and f**k is it fast, from Germany to Ireland in 2 days in Covid times. Even other stuff from UK in 1 day. Why didn't I have this sooner.

Could also track the driver and it showed me where he was and when he'd be at my house.

Is that Prime DE (as the UK one doesn't carry across?)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭migrant

No grocery items are now available from Aamzon UK. All my subscribe & save orders ( and there are a LOT) have been cancelled

migrant wrote: »
    No grocery items are now available from Aamzon UK. All my subscribe & save orders ( and there are a LOT) have been cancelled

Strange, just looked at this one for example and it's still available? Delivery times are now a LOT longer, can't see anything now for next day delivery, there used to be loads.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dylon-Colour-Catcher-50-Sheets/dp/B075737BG2/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-nc-drs1_0?cv_ct_cx=colour+catcher+sheets&dchild=1&keywords=colour+catcher+sheets&pd_rd_i=B075737BG2&pd_rd_r=b7b0601e-f7ae-48cc-9b5b-990a4d1c901f&pd_rd_w=sHXuV&pd_rd_wg=WKmtE&pf_rd_p=a245f193-f5e3-4355-acb1-a68d1f4dcc73&pf_rd_r=9MV9G7K0E5EJBYSHEHGD&psc=1&qid=1609450535&sprefix=colo&sr=1-1-c51e89e3-8bf6-4683-ae96-8c677e961a1e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Is there an online calculator available which can be used to give an estimate of how much extra costs are due on items from UK over 22 euro?

• Advertisement

Is there an online calculator available which can be used to give an estimate of how much extra costs are due on items from UK over 22 euro?

For Amazon it should show at the checkout all the fees as they are charging on a prepayment basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah all my subscribe and save food items no longer available to my address. Change it to a UK address and they are fine.

Any items that are available seem to have a minimum delivery time of two weeks and that’s with Prime. I’m presuming this is in relaxation to Brexit and will settle down eventually.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

adox wrote: »
    Yeah all my subscribe and save food items no longer available to my address. Change it to a UK address and they are fine.

Any items that are available seem to have a minimum delivery time of two weeks and that’s with Prime. I’m presuming this is in relaxation to Brexit and will settle down eventually.
    There are restrictions on the importing of certain foods and other goods from outside the European Union. I'm sure Amazon are taking an extremely cautious approach for now until they've thoroughly worked through everything.

https://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_legislation/imports_exports/personal_imports.html

The same with their delivery estimates. I'm sure they need to wait for the new system to bed down before they can give accurate estimates again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Prime delivery is 2 weeks at the moment. I'm sure they are just covering themselves stating this. It gives them a few weeks to see how long delivery will actually be. I'm betting delivery won't be much different from what we have had the last year or so. The trick is to buy sold by & dispatched by amazon. I'd avoid 3rd party sellers

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Prime delivery is 2 weeks at the moment. I'm sure they are just covering themselves stating this. It gives them a few weeks to see how long delivery will actually be. I'm betting delivery won't be much different from what we have had the last year or so. The trick is to buy sold by & dispatched by amazon. I'd avoid 3rd party sellers

Hopefully, something i ordered yesterday that was delivered today would now take 2 weeks If i was to reorder.

In 99.9% of cases i buy sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just checked a number of items in my wish list and they are no longer available and as mentioned delivery is now between 10 and 14 days.
    Got a delivery from eBay today and it was odd seeing a customs declaration on post coming from U.K.

Just looked at something for £125 and it now has another £25 in duties being applied at the checkout.

Edit: Some items they are taking off the Duty then adding in back in so the end price is the same.

No changes to anything under €22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Yeah, just tried a few cheap subscribe and save items and they are now shipping minus VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Just looked at something for £125 and it now has another £25 in duties being applied at the checkout.

Seeing the same with a business account.

£5.95 "Import Fees Deposit" for a £22.31(ex. VAT) item but free shipping (applied as a £6 discount). That's way more than Irish VAT being applied, which was never applied previously anyway as it was a business account. Looks like it will take a while for things to settle down.

Jim

Edit. Looks like their calculating it as Irish VAT at 21% of the ex. VAT price + shipping, even though free shipping is applied as a promotion.

i.e. 0.21*(22.31+6.00)=5.95

PITA if business has to claim it back from Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

The seem to be applying the Irish VAT rate as "import duties". For example here's one if my recent orders:

Screenshot-20210101-001156-01.jpg

Screenshot-20210101-001226-01.jpg

£4.73 is 21% VAT.

Mmmm does that mean we'll have to pay VAT on delivery?

Time ill tell i guess, the delivery times are ****e but hopefully that's temporary. Wonder if parcel volumes will drop (maybe not given lock down).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

On orders not processed/delivered by amazon: -
    Please Note: Price shown includes UK VAT. If your shipping address is outside UK, VAT may vary or an import fee deposit may be collected at checkout.

corkie wrote: »
    On orders not processed/delivered by amazon: -

Yeah but in the case of Dublin Amazon, do deliver (icon at bottom of screen says if amazon are delivering).

Won't be long until someone here orders something for say £100 and we'll see what happens at the checkout and doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Was looking at my usual seller for tech on Amazon and for now it’s definitely off to the German site .. a Lens I was looking at now the guts of €600 on U.K site and just over €400 in Germany. Granted I have to pay €8 delivery and wait an extra week ..

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Has free delivery with Prime disappeared as of Jan 01 as well?

Was looking to buy some prime stuff after midnight but shipping was £8 for a prime item 🀮

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »
    Has free delivery with Prime disappeared as of Jan 01 as well?

Was looking to buy some prime stuff after midnight but shipping was £8 for a prime item 🀮

The few things I've looked at still have free prime delivery. Looking more closely I can't see anything that has gone up in price at the checkout which doesn't make sense. Now if there is additional charges on the doorstep that's another story.

I assumed amazon would build everything cost wise in at the check out as they used to charge Irish VAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

In my experience of ordering from Amazon.com out of the United States in September on a more expensive item the Import Fees Deposit were spot on in the fact that I had to pay the postman nothing and it came in like a Domestic item and the fee's were actually slightly over estimated with a $15 refund issued on what was a $400+ item like 10 days later.

Comparing like for like on the two exact same items shipped by Amazon.co.uk I paid £21.98 last Monday (see my earlier shipping label). The same two items are £23.42 on an amazon dummy run here tonight (post exit). This maybe over-estimated with a refund of some pence due.

It is early days yet but it seems the effect is small and negligible however it will result in less items available and probably killoff DPD Parcel Wizard, Parcel Motel and AddressPal although in AddressPal's case they committed Seppuku anyway. I don't even count Parcel Connect since using Fastway for anything is exclusive to Masochists only.

Mmmm does that mean we'll have to pay VAT on delivery?

Time ill tell i guess, the delivery times are ****e but hopefully that's temporary. Wonder if parcel volumes will drop (maybe not given lock down).

The import fee's deposit is the system of paying Irish VAT, so instead of paying British VAT we pay Irish VAT using Amazon's mega cloud system it is all entirely automated and the item will be delivered into Ireland with VAT pre-paid and this enters the country as normal like a intra-EU domestic parcel. The postman won't have to collect VAT or charge €10 of a collection fee either.

However e.g. if your Aunty or Uncle in the UK decides to buy you an iPad for St. Paddys Day and ships it over the SHTF as they paid UK VAT, you will then get stung for Irish VAT + €10 from An Post and you would also possible get hit with the totally incalculable customs duty from the EU Taric bureaucracy which requires a PHD in Jobbsworthness to figure out.

For the meantime I'd avoid small time UK stores or private sales on eBay and stick to Amazon only until the picture becomes clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I recently got Prime and f**k is it fast, from Germany to Ireland in 2 days in Covid times. Even other stuff from UK in 1 day. Why didn't I have this sooner.

Could also track the driver and it showed me where he was and when he'd be at my house.

The young lad needed a console controller. Checked Smyths and Argos and no stock. But ordered on Amazon and arrived overnight. Free delivery with prime.

Checked some of my old orders, if I were to buy again then there's a heavy import charge. Surprised as id expected that less than 150 should be duty free. A £20 item now equates to €27 instead of €22.

I think I'll be buying more stuff locally of possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

theguzman wrote: »
    The import fee's deposit is the system of paying Irish VAT, so instead of paying British VAT we pay Irish VAT using Amazon's mega cloud system it is all entirely automated and the item will be delivered into Ireland with VAT pre-paid and this enters the country as normal like a intra-EU domestic parcel. The postman won't have to collect VAT or charge €10 of a collection fee either.

However e.g. if your Aunty or Uncle in the UK decides to buy you an iPad for St. Paddys Day and ships it over the SHTF as they paid UK VAT, you will then get stung for Irish VAT + €10 from An Post and you would also possible get hit with the totally incalculable customs duty from the EU Taric bureaucracy which requires a PHD in Jobbsworthness to figure out.

For the meantime I'd avoid small time UK stores or private sales on eBay and stick to Amazon only until the picture becomes clearer.

From my previous post. The difference is that they've charged uk Vat in the original price and then added the Irish Vat on top

So that's really ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

From my previous post. The difference is that they've charged uk Vat in the original price and then added the Irish Vat on top

So that's really ****ed up.

See my previous post. I thought initially they were also applying both VATs also. However, they are indeed calculating Irish VAT but on the item cost (ex. UK VAT) + shipping even where free shipping is given in the form of discount after. Doesn't make sense why though.

Attached sample checkout item price is ex. UK VAT. UK falling outside the EU VAT system probably means they can't just exempt the VAT anymore for business and it has to be paid and then claimed back after. A proper dose if true.

537857.JPG

Jim

We are a tiny blib on Amazon's radar outside of using us for dodging tax, I can't see an Amazon.ie.

What is interesting is the huge amount of British VAT that the UK will suddenly lose out on as a result of Irish e-commerce diversions via the North. Parcel Motel is in operation since like 2012-2013 and the forwarding sector booned prior to all this. Hundreds of Millions of Euro (possibly billions) were spent and all that VAT went into the HMRC in the UK instead of the Irish Revenue.

Looking at the insatiable appetite for e-commerce in Ireland, relatively few and uncompetitive domestic retailers, there is obviously a market and with Parcel Motel having a network of lockers they would be the most likely to establish a freight-head most likely in somewhere like Cherbourg or Roscoff to be close to the ferry. DPD having a pan European network might try something in Germany, however whatever remains to be seen, hopefully something does happen so as to provide competition in the Irish marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Initially looks like delivery ETAs have taken a big hit: this is probably immediate post-Brexit caution and will recover. May only apply to items which AP will handle.

Can confirm from multiple tests:
    British VAT is displayed on the price before you add to cart, regardless of whether your price is displayed in GBP or €,
    British VAT is subtracted, and Irish VAT then added at the checkout, assuming your delivery address is in ROI.
    Total cost to us the consumer is the same as it was before.

The delivery times will come around. This is business as usual. I will say I noticed a few items which are no longer deliverable to IE (coffee pods.. can get them from .de or .fr, just have to buy in slightly higher qtys to get free delivery, not a hardship)

DO NOT under any circumstances use addresspal. You WILL be billed GB VAT and be expected to then additional pay Irish VAT plus the handling fees. Addresspal as a cost-effective option for Amazon is gone.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Checked some of my old orders, if I were to buy again then there's a heavy import charge. Surprised as id expected that less than 150 should be duty free.
    sdanseo wrote: »
    I will say I noticed a few items which are no longer deliverable to IE (coffee pods.. can get them from .de or .fr, just have to buy in slightly higher qtys to get free delivery, not a hardship)

These two posts highlight an aspect of the FTA that's being constantly overlooked in this thread (and elsewhere):
    (1) not all imports are (customs) tariff-free - it depends on the category of product, rules of origin, certificates of conformity and other small-printy stuff;
    and (2) some imports are completely banned (mainly anything plant- or animal-based). This applies equally to purchases made on Amazon, via any other GB online retailer, or yourself if you buy them in Tesco Holyhead and bring them home on the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

sdanseo wrote: »
    Initially looks like delivery ETAs have taken a big hit: this is probably immediate post-Brexit caution and will recover. May only apply to items which AP will handle.

Can confirm from multiple tests:
    British VAT is displayed on the price before you add to cart, regardless of whether your price is displayed in GBP or €,
    British VAT is subtracted, and Irish VAT then added at the checkout, assuming your delivery address is in ROI.
    Total cost to us the consumer is the same as it was before.

The delivery times will come around. This is business as usual. I will say I noticed a few items which are no longer deliverable to IE (coffee pods.. can get them from .de or .fr, just have to buy in slightly higher qtys to get free delivery, not a hardship)

DO NOT under any circumstances use addresspal. You WILL be billed GB VAT and be expected to then additional pay Irish VAT plus the handling fees. Addresspal as a cost-effective option for Amazon is gone.

/thread.

I am not seeing UK vat being removed at checkout, have checked a few products and Irish vat is being charged on top of the uk vat inclusive price. What a mess.

Advertisement