Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

theguzman wrote: »

However e.g. if your Aunty or Uncle in the UK decides to buy you an iPad for St. Paddys Day and ships it over the SHTF as they paid UK VAT, you will then get stung for Irish VAT + €10 from An Post and you would also possible get hit with the totally incalculable customs duty from the EU Taric bureaucracy which requires a PHD in Jobbsworthness to figure out.

Oh give over with the dramatics. You look it up here (https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&Expand=true&SimDate=20210101) , and if you can describe the item then you can find the code and the rate. It is 0% by the way.

SECTION XVI: MACHINERY AND MECHANICAL APPLIANCES; ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT; PARTS THEREOF; SOUND RECORDERS AND REPRODUCERS, TELEVISION IMAGE AND SOUND RECORDERS AND REPRODUCERS, AND PARTS AND ACCESSORIES OF SUCH ARTICLES

CHAPTER 84 : NUCLEAR REACTORS, BOILERS, MACHINERY AND MECHANICAL APPLIANCES; PARTS THEREOF

8471 - Automatic data-processing machines and units thereof; magnetic or optical readers, machines for transcribing data onto data media in coded form and machines for processing such data, not elsewhere specified or included : (TN701) (TN702)

8471 30 - Portable automatic data-processing machines, weighing not more than 10 kg, consisting of at least a central processing unit, a keyboard and a display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

dubmick wrote: »
    I am not seeing UK vat being removed at checkout, have checked a few products and Irish vat is being charged on top of the uk vat inclusive price. What a mess.
    It is not being removed because it is not being added in the first place. I have in my basket a kindle fire tablet. The item price is £158.32, that is the same regardless of whether it is coming to Dublin or Yorkshire. When I change to a Yorkshire address the vat is £31.69 (20%) when I change to a Dublin address the vat is £33.25 (21%).

It is the same with an item of clothing, the item price is £54.17 for both address and then the vat is £11.38 to Dublin, or £10.83 to Yorkshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

You are right thanks, product is less Uk vat at checkout. Now if they could just sort out the delivery times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Irish address

5-F9-E5-ECA-3-AEE-4-B44-A506-D2-B2-A9-FE8724.jpg

UK address

6-B53-B6-C6-2-EB4-480-B-816-E-33-F10847623-A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ordering a Deco M4 mesh system (prime member)
    To post to addresspal is £99.99 with free postage
    To post to Dublin is £83.32 with ‘import fee deposit’ of £17.50 totalling £100.82

So 83p more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

42 quid import fee's deposit today... ffs. Think that's me done with Amazon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭flintash

sdanseo wrote: »

The delivery times will come around. This is business as usual. I will say I noticed a few items which are no longer deliverable to IE (coffee pods.. can get them from .de or .fr, just have to buy in slightly higher qtys to get free delivery, not a hardship)

/thread.

where do you get free delivery from .de ? with .de prime?

Hang on I'm confused here... so if I order it to my Ireland house it's £43.55 but if I get it sent to my London flat its £43.00... the Irish one has customs applied in that price too? So am I charged customs or what? Because that would mean the price is £38.00 and customs is £8... makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Hang on I'm confused here... so if I order it to my Ireland house it's £43.55 but if I get it sent to my London flat its £43.00... the Irish one has customs applied in that price too? So am I charged customs or what? Because that would mean the price is £38.00 and customs is £8... makes no sense.

UK VAT is 20%, Irish is 21%. That's the 55p difference (with a couple of p of currency rounding it seems.. should be £43.19).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

The "import deposit" is Irish VAT. Which we've always paid so nothing's changed there, just the wording.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It's strange. I tested 2 items. 1 has UK VAT taken off and import fees (ie IRL VAT) added on.
    Another item for 15stg becomes 12.50 in the basket with no mention of import fees etc. So the UK VAT was taken off but IRL VAT not applied.
    Both items sold by amazon themselves

flintash wrote: »
    where do you get free delivery from .de ? with .de prime?

Anything over €25 qualifies I believe

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's strange. I tested 2 items. 1 has UK VAT taken off and import fees (ie IRL VAT) added on.
    Another item for 15stg becomes 12.50 in the basket with no mention of import fees etc. So the UK VAT was taken off but IRL VAT not applied.

Items under €22 are VAT free until 1 July.

There's no free delivery on Amazon.de to Ireland. Or any other Amazon except UK.

VG31 wrote: »
    The "import deposit" is Irish VAT. Which we've always paid so nothing's changed there, just the wording.

Oh so I'm just paying what I always paid? Will customs do me when the item arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only with .co.uk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've always paid for delivery to Ireland even if spending over €25 on DE. Free postage was only for Germany and Austria (I thought).

Irish address

5-F9-E5-ECA-3-AEE-4-B44-A506-D2-B2-A9-FE8724.jpg

UK address

6-B53-B6-C6-2-EB4-480-B-816-E-33-F10847623-A.jpg

That does look like an error.. you're being charged VAT twice

Is it fulfilled by Amazon? Possibly the seller isn't registered for Irish VAT although I thought Amazon would be taking care of that.

Oh so I'm just paying what I always paid? Will customs do me when the item arrives?

Yes it's no different to before for items sold by Amazon. The only exception is for items under €22 which you won't pay VAT on for the time being. You've already paid Irish VAT so you won't have to pay it again on delivery.

Private sellers are a completely different matter.

Items under €22 are VAT free until 1 July.

There's no free delivery on Amazon.de to Ireland. Or any other Amazon except UK.

There was a discussion a few days ago that as amazon is a collector of VAT for IRL revenue, then everything would be subject to VAT. the under 22 rule would only be for non VAT collector registered retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

That does look like an error.. you're being charged VAT twice

Is it fulfilled by Amazon? Possibly the seller isn't registered for Irish VAT although I thought Amazon would be taking care of that.

Yep fulfilled by Amazon. It's for an Alexa light bulb.

• Advertisement

There was a discussion a few days ago that as amazon is a collector of VAT for IRL revenue, then everything would be subject to VAT. the under 22 rule would only be for non VAT collector registered retailers?

£1 Sellotape is £0.83 when you use an Irish address at the checkout. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sellotape-Original-Golden-adhesive-Applies/dp/B004JM68BU/

Screenshot-2021-01-01-114908.png

£1 Sellotape is £0.83 when you use an Irish address at the checkout. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sellotape-Original-Golden-adhesive-Applies/dp/B004JM68BU/

Screenshot-2021-01-01-114908.png

Win Win, wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

About Import Fees Deposit

I linked the above already in thread.

"Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."

Above explains why your been charged VAT on shipping, even if your shipping is been discounted due to amount spent (or Prime promotion).

You may not be paying the shipping but amazon is absorbing the cost of it, so dues still need to be paid on it.

Tried to order Super Mario 3D World and it’s saying I have to pay Import Fees Deposit: GBP 9.59 is this a error or the new normal, if so I’m done with Amazon.

I only buy from Amazon directly not 3rd party sellers.

Tried to order Super Mario 3D World and it’s saying I have to pay Import Fees Deposit: GBP 9.59 is this a error or the new normal, if so I’m done with Amazon.

the 20% UK VAT should be taken off the main price too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Correct on adding the import fee ( Irish vat as usual) but Uk vat should be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You're buying that from France! ;) (Seller is Amazon EU sarl - sarl = French for Ltd Co.))

the 20% UK VAT should be taken off the main price too

I just saw that thanks for your help.

OK, so same item, product window and checkout open side by side. I've assumed you meant the Switch version but it's moot if not.

Item price incl UK VAT is £36.99

Checkout price incl Irish VAT is £37.29

£36.99 divided by 120 and then multiplied by 121 to add the 1% = £37.29825

I don't understand how you think you are being short changed.

The delivery time on the other hand is a bit of a joke. 19 days.

98cc5a818fa89c247c658d7b3f34aafe.png

• Advertisement

OK, so same item, product window and checkout open side by side. I've assumed you meant the Switch version but it's moot if not.

Item price incl UK VAT is £36.99

Checkout price incl Irish VAT is £37.29

£36.99 divided by 120 and then multiplied by 121 to add the 1% = £37.29825

I don't understand how you think you are being short changed.

The delivery time on the other hand is a bit of a joke. 19 days.

98cc5a818fa89c247c658d7b3f34aafe.png

3D world not 3D all stars, 3D world is out in February it’s a port of the Wii U Game

Advertisement