Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

You're buying that from France! ;) (Seller is Amazon EU sarl - sarl = French for Ltd Co.))

No it's from the UK. It says Amazon EU Sarl for all items sold by Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

3D world not 3D all stars, 3D world is out in February it’s a port of the Wii U Game

Ok but that item is the exact same. £49.99 and the total comes to £50.41 at the checkout.

It's the exact same financial situation as before, they're just labelling the Irish VAT as import fees because, well, that's now what they are.

If anything Amazon are doing the customs declaration seamlessly and for free which isn't worth nothing but you're being charged nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Are books not supposed to be zero-rated for VAT in Ireland (as in the UK)?

Price shown before checkout is £33.53 (UK price with 0% VAT).

At checkout:

Items: £33.53
    Postage & Packing: £4.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £5.07

Order Total: £42.60

The £5.07 is 13.5% of £37.53 (the price inc shipping), i.e. Amazon is applying the reduced rate of VAT.

This is surely a mistake by Amazon, or am I misreading something here?

3D world not 3D all stars, 3D world is out in February it’s a port of the Wii U Game

£49.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Mario-Bowsers-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B08HJXRB1K/

£50.41 at checkout. That's just the 1% difference in the Irish and UK VAT rates.

The amount of people going crazy about the import fees deposit without actually noticing that the final price has barely gone up is ridiculous.

hognef wrote: »
    Are books not supposed to be zero-rated for VAT in Ireland (as in the UK)?

Price shown before checkout is £33.53 (UK price with 0% VAT).

At checkout:

Items: £33.53
    Postage & Packing: £4.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £5.07

Order Total: £42.60

The £5.07 is 13.5% of £37.53 (the price inc shipping), i.e. Amazon is applying the reduced rate of VAT.

This is surely a mistake by Amazon, or am I misreading something here?

Looks like an error, just a note though that customs value includes freight charges on which I believe 23% VAT is payable so if the book was 0% and the freight was £4 you'd owe about £1 in VAT for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭rock22

Why are people continuing to buy from UK?

Is it not possible to buy from an Irish or Eu seller?

Or am I missing something

rock22 wrote: »

Free delivery and it's still cheaper in most cases. Most things I buy on Amazon either can't be found here or are far more expensive. The alternative to the UK is Germany or other EU countries but slower delivery and higher postage makes it less appealing most of the time.

Because there's simply no Irish online retailer with the selection, cost competitiveness or convenience appeal of Amazon. They have an absolute monopoly on the free delivery, quick turnaround (usually) market and sell pretty much everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i buy a lot from amazon warehouse.
    just checked this morning and a lot of the stuff in my saved for later items which would have shipped to ireland no longer do so today

However i've discovered that with the stuff that will ship from amazon warehouse, they have taken the UK vat off at checkout but not applied any irish vat.
    so looks like a loophole at the moment

edit: have done some more experimenting with this. if the warehouse item less the uk vat comes in under 22 then no vat charged at checkout. if it is > 22 then duties charged. maybe that's the way its supposed to work. i dunno anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Price. And now that sub 22 is vat exempt, it's even cheaper again.
    Lots of small things cost a fortune locally in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

TheDriver wrote: »
    Price. And now that sub 22 is vat exempt, it's even cheaper again.
    Lots of small things cost a fortune locally in my experience.

from my experience there was never any sub 22 vat exemption on amazon. even if i bought something for a tenner, they still added on the extra percentage or two at checkout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I bought a lamp there for £30 to test delivery dates. They're currently estimating the 8th, but I wouldn't be suprised if it arrives by Monday.

The price before adding to the basket, and checking out are very similar. It's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Have you seen the rip off prices of things in this country?

I need a new record player, €420 in Argos, 4-5 days delivery, €270 off Amazon, next day delivery, it's a no brainer.

bb12 wrote: »
    from my experience there was never any sub 22 vat exemption on amazon. even if i bought something for a tenner, they still added on the extra percentage or two at checkout

Correct, there was no exemption until the UK jumped ship last night.
    Now they're the same as china when it comes to sub 22 (until July 1st)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

sdanseo wrote: »
    Looks like an error, just a note though that customs value includes freight charges on which I believe 23% VAT is payable so if the book was 0% and the freight was £4 you'd owe about £1 in VAT for that.

Good and interesting point. Wonder how that is really supposed to work. I would argue that Amazon's price + shipping is my price for this book, so the whole thing should attract a 0% rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Firblog

Amazon prime streaming wouldn't work this morning, error 4601 came up on the TV, 'geo block' was error on phone; contacted support chat, said he changed my home region, rebooted and all ok.

Didn't say it was due to Brexit, but seems very coincidental if it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You're buying that from France! ;) (Seller is Amazon EU sarl - sarl = French for Ltd Co.))

Amazon EU Sàrl is actually in Luxembourg. And it's only a business entity - it doesn't mean the goods are actually coming from there.

It's a historic artefact form the time that Luxembourg had the lowest VAT rates in the EU, and VAT could be charged based on where the business selling the item was registered in. That changed in 2015, where it was changed so that VAT was charged at the location of consumption (i.e. where the end user resides).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Firblog wrote: »
    Amazon prime streaming wouldn't work this morning, error 4601 came up on the TV, 'geo block' was error on phone; contacted support chat, said he changed my home region, rebooted and all ok.

Didn't say it was due to Brexit, but seems very coincidental if it wasn't.

I can't find anything on Prime now that is showing available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Knine wrote: »

Prime video is working perfectly for me on my phone and on smart TV.

same here

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Prime video is working perfectly for me on my phone and on smart TV.
    what location are you set to? I'm uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Because we don't like getting ripped off.

I bought a frying pan just now, it was £10 to a UK address but I was only charged £8.33, so no Vat applied.
    Be great if this was the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TheDriver wrote: »
    what location are you set to? I'm uk

What do you mean? I just subscribed to Amazon Prime through Amazon UK same as everyone I assume. I'm not using any VPN or suchlike, just connecting through my Virgin Media broadband.

Alun wrote: »
    What do you mean? I just subscribed to Amazon Prime through Amazon UK same as everyone I assume. I'm not using any VPN or suchlike, just connecting through my Virgin Media broadband.

Then you're Irish customer. I had to contact chat years ago to "persuade" them I lived in UK and hence got more selection to watch. Obviously that changed last night so I'm now considered a UK resident on holidays. Only their own productions are working.
    Are you getting much of a selection available ie things that aren't made by amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

If your home location for Prime Video is UK then you will now only be able to access content in the "TV shows and movies to watch while abroad" section from Ireland.

Amazon allows Prime Video subscribers residing in the EU to watch any content available in their home country while currently located in another EU country. Up until 11pm last night, when the UK effectively stopped being an EU country, this meant that users in Ireland could get their home location for prime video set to UK and watch all the UK specific content.

If you want to reset your Prime Video home location to Ireland, login to your Amazon account at primevideo.com and it should offer you the option to do this, or open a chat with amazon.co.uk customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Regarding Prime Video: there are two platforms - Prime Video through the .co.uk site, which allows you watch to feck all while you're "roaming" ; and primevideo.com which allows you to access content licensed for the territory from which you're connecting. Much more to watch, but with some quirks (e.g. for me, some English language content dubbed into French and not available in the original English).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Apologies if this is a dumb question and am certainly not complaining but how can items above €22 be no more now than they were last week given there should additional duties imposed post Brexit (the import duty deposit looks to relate more to the old Irish VAT)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

i joined amazon germany and ordered a smartphone on tuesday at 1400. It arrived by courier the next day at 17.30. It came from Naples. Unbelievably quick.

i joined amazon germany and ordered a smartphone on tuesday at 1400. It arrived by courier the next day at 17.30. It came from Naples. Unbelievably quick.

UPS Express?

I ordered something from France (not Amazon) just after noon on Tuesday. It was sent that evening with FedEx and I had it at 11 the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭fungie

I have my amazon account set to UK for sports etc but no longer working due to Brexit. This was confirmed by amazon customer service on the phone. There seems to be 2 options I can think of:

1) Change region back to Ireland and lose any sports
    2) Keep the region as UK but use a UK VPN

Might test out the VPN approach to see how it is and if that's not sufficient, change back to Ireland.

Advertisement