Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Apologies if this is a dumb question and am certainly not complaining but how can items above €22 be no more now than they were last week given there should additional duties imposed post Brexit (the import duty deposit looks to relate more to the old Irish VAT)?

It's the trade agreement with EU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

how can items above €22 be no more now than they were last week given there should additional duties imposed post Brexit

There are no additional duties if the items are covered by the Trade Agreement, which most are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Cheers lads, this graphic from the government is very confusing then. They should have split it between online retailers who collect IRL VAT (like Amazon) and those who don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I’d say about 75% of what I used to buy is no longer shipping to Ireland, it was so handy before to be able to order everything from the one place with free shipping. Looks like it’s back to sourcing things from multiple different sites again unless things improve in the next few weeks and more items are available to Irish customers, still hoping it’s just until they get things sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

I'm confused about how amazon charges.

Would I be correct on saying that if I purchase an xbox from amazon that the Vat is charges but is now called import fees deposit?

Once the item arrives I will then be charged the customs charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just on Prime video, I use Getflix a dns switcher for iPlayer and it works with Prime too. I didn’t get an email and still have all the UK content working.

I got a “lifetime” sub a few years back for very cheap but it can be found on promotion usually.

There’s other dns switchers as well that apparently work if you don’t want to go down a VPN route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I’m guessing the trick here is if you want to buy multiple items that are under €22, buy them separately each time to avoid duties charges? If you have Prime for free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

VG31 wrote: »
    UPS Express?

I ordered something from France (not Amazon) just after noon on Tuesday. It was sent that evening with FedEx and I had it at 11 the next morning.

DHL express. I live in rural east galway aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

i joined amazon germany and ordered a smartphone on tuesday at 1400. It arrived by courier the next day at 17.30. It came from Naples. Unbelievably quick.

Thats unusual, anytime I've ordered off Amazon France or Germany there has been a long lead time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thats unusual, anytime I've ordered off Amazon France or Germany there has been a long lead time.

When I ordered it it said arriving 6th to 10th Jan but it arrived the 30th Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I’m guessing the trick here is if you want to buy multiple items that are under €22, buy them separately each time to avoid duties charges? If you have Prime for free delivery.

And wait until one has been dispatched before ordering the other - Amazon will often lump separate orders in together and dispatch at the same time. Other times they won't lump together. It's pot luck, really.

And wait until one has been dispatched before ordering the other - Amazon will often lump separate orders in together and dispatch at the same time. Other times they won't lump together. It's pot luck, really.

If you are buying something sold by and fulfilled by amazon there is no need- the price you pay at the checkout is final with nothing else added for payment at doorstep, regardless of its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mr.S wrote:
    Import Deposit Fee now appearing at checkout too. I thought orders under €150 wouldn't apply?

They pay the Irish Vat for you. Its only a deposit. They will refund the tiny extra

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

You don't need to do this. Honestly.

For items that are under €150, YOU WILL NOT BE PAYING DUTY. Yes, you will see a new section marked "Import Fees Deposit". BUT the sum in there will just be the amount of Irish VAT due, 21%. The price that appears above this will be the price without VAT.

Here's an example - the TP-Link RE505X AX1500 Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 Range Extender is 59.99 to buy in the UK - 49.99 of which is the purchase price, £10 UK VAT. If you try and buy it for delivery here, the purchase price becomes 49.99 and the "import fees" are estimated at 10.50. Which, lo and behold, is the amount that 21% VAT comes to.

EDIT: I see a few of us basically all posted this at the same time :)

nephster wrote: »
    You don't need to do this. Honestly.

For items that are under €150, YOU WILL NOT BE PAYING DUTY. Yes, you will see a new section marked "Import Fees Deposit". BUT the sum in there will just be the amount of Irish VAT due, 21%. The price that appears above this will be the price without VAT.

Here's an example - the TP-Link RE505X AX1500 Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 Range Extender is 59.99 to buy in the UK - 49.99 of which is the purchase price, £10 UK VAT. If you try and buy it for delivery here, the purchase price becomes 49.99 and the "import fees" are estimated at 10.50. Which, lo and behold, is the amount that 21% VAT comes to.
    What if I buy 3 items, 20 each, ordered separately. No VAT. But they get lumped in same parcel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭davetherave

hognef wrote: »
    Good and interesting point. Wonder how that is really supposed to work. I would argue that Amazon's price + shipping is my price for this book, so the whole thing should attract a 0% rate.

It's odd, I've looked a few books of different types, encyclopedias, kids books, fiction, atlas's and maps, comics/graphic novels, and and they all look to be coming in with the 13.5% vat rate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No need to wait. I often order stuff which I don't want lumped in together, so I choose a 'different' delivery address. I have my home address entered on Amazon 3 different times with each having a slightly different delivery name. If you choose a different delivery address you don't have to worry about their system automatically grouping everything together.

TheDriver wrote: »
    What if I buy 3 items, 20 each, ordered separately. No VAT. But they get lumped in same parcel?

Is under €150 so as long as they are sold and fulfilled by amazon the price you pay at the checkout is all you will pay.

Badly need a sticky for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

Hello all and happy new year.

I've been using Amazon UK for years and have come across many items that don't ship to Ireland. If you wanted you could go down the Parcel Motel / Address Pal route to get around that blocker.

I have two electrical items in my basket for a week now waiting on the price to drop, they did drop today but I'm now presented with the "Sorry this item cannot be sent to your selected address"

The thing is both items were able to be shipped to ROI a few days ago.

Is this the end for Amazon UK here in Ireland post Brexit?

Sidenote... I searched locally for the items here but they are far more expensive. Also searched Amazon DE but they were not listed and if they were they would come with EU plug rather than the 3 pin type.

Anyone else experiencing similar?

Robert

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Whats the story with getting stuff that only ship to the UK? I see parcel motel don't use the Newtownabbey address anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Whats the story with getting stuff that only ship to the UK? I see parcel motel don't use the Newtownabbey address anymore.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/
    I believe in most cases you will have to pay VAT in Ireland and the UK
    Running such a service from NI may be impossible

Do revenue provide a list on what goods will have customs duty applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The only solution if you don't have friends or relatives in the UK or NI would be to have it sent to an Amazon box in Newry and go fetch it yourself and smuggle it in across the open border, obviously this is not feasible unless you live close to the border. It is also illegal so I would warn against it.

Every day in the 1980's a woman was observed driving a wheelbarrow of gravel into the Republic in the morning along the Donegal border, very often customs agents would stop and check but never found any contraband or items taxable, later on in years after the single market came into effect and the border came down the customs agents asked her what she was up to in all the time, I was smuggling Wheelbarrows came her answer :D Bit of a tall tale but could have happened.

theguzman wrote: »
    The only solution if you don't have friends or relatives in the UK or NI would be to have it sent to an Amazon box in Newry and go fetch it yourself and smuggle it in across the open border, obviously this is not feasible unless you live close to the border. It is also illegal so I would warn against it.

That's the illegal option but isn't Address Pal completely legal(but expensive)?

Is under €150 so as long as they are sold and fulfilled by amazon the price you pay at the checkout is all you will pay.

Badly need a sticky for this :)
    Wouldn't the customs declaration show that I've bought a total more than 22 but paid no VAT?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Wouldn't the customs declaration show that I've bought a total more than 22 but paid no VAT?

How would you manage to do that if it's sold and fulfilled by amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not sure how you thought the day after Brexit happened would be the best time to buy from the UK. The next few weeks Amazon UK will find its feet. At the moment anything that does ship to Ireland is saying two weeks delivery. This is just to cover themselves in uncertain times. Within a few weeks they will be back to regular delivery times.

Amazon UK will now charge you the Irish vat at checkout and this means that you will not have any dealing with customs here in Ireland. Personally I'd stick to Sold by Amazon and Dispatched by Amazon. I'd stay away from the 3rd party sellers as they could charge you the UK vat and then let you fend for yourselves with Irish customs. They will make you pay Irish vat too.

Advertisement