Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Throw your TV into the cart on Amazon and see what the end result is. I'm 99.99999% certain you'll only be charged Irish VAT and not Customs Duty. Amazon will label it as "Import Fees Deposit" in the checkout, but if you do the calculation, you'll see it's 21% of the Item Price (that's the UK price of the item minus 20% UK VAT). This is of course assuming they'll ship the product to Ireland - I've noticed a few products that I bought in November/December no longer ship here.

I’m actually finding it difficult to find a tv that will now ship to Ireland!

Edit: this one does: TCL 43EP658 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV with Freeview Play, Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, HDR10, Micro Dimming, Dolby Audio, Bluetooth, WiFi, 2*HDMI, 1*USB, Slim Bezel - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084K9XS1H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_Kl47FbV94WPKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Price goes to 280.96 to 299.51 at check out so more than just a 1% vat difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I added two items to Amazon.co.uk basket, both sold by Amazon:

Lego 15.99
    Pens 15.33
    Total = 31.32

At Check-out, it becomes
    13.32 + 12.77 = 26.09, so the 20% UK VAT has been deducted.

But import fees deposit of 6.74 is added, making 32.83.

That 6.74 is what? An estimate of Irish VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I mean, there's nothing they can do about it. It is completely legal.

Don't you have to be registered for Vat in Ireland if your sales here are over 75k though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Then I added just one of the two items to Amazon.co.uk basket, sold by Amazon:

Lego 15.99

At Check-out, it becomes 13.32, so the 20% UK VAT has been deducted.

The import fees deposit has disappeared, okay.

But the PP charge is back, as the order is below 25 GBP.

So you seem to gain by avoiding 20% VAT, but then have to pay PP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Geuze wrote: »

Lego 15.99
    Pens 15.33
    Total = 31.32

At Check-out, it becomes

It's around 26% so they must be charging a documentation fee or something.when I add similar priced items it also works out at 26%or so import fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Zardoz wrote: »
    Don't you have to be registered for Vat in Ireland if your sales here are over 75k though ?

Amazon are registered in Ireland for VAT.

The €22 exemption threshold is an EU rule, and it is the EU that is removing it.

It was supposed to be removed from January 1st 2021, but due to logistic issues caused by the response to Covid 19, it's been postponed until July.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/modernising-vat-cross-border-ecommerce_en

It's around 26% so they must be charging a documentation fee or something.when I add similar priced items it also works out at 26%or so import fees

Does your order include shipping? There would be VAT on that too, so you'd have to fact or that into the calculations. The Amazon Import Fees Deposit should be exactly 21%, and has been for anything I've tried (I've Prime, so there's no shipping to confuse things).

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Geuze wrote: »

Lego 15.99
    Pens 15.33
    Total = 31.32

At Check-out, it becomes

Even though you are not paying for shipping, they are charging you VAT on the value of the item + shipping. Standard shipping appears to be £6 for value purposes.

i.e. 0.21x(26.09+6)=6.74

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Does your order include shipping? There would be VAT on that too, so you'd have to fact or that into the calculations. The Amazon Import Fees Deposit should be exactly 21%, and has been for anything I've tried (I've Prime, so there's no shipping to confuse things).
    Ah yes vat on the shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

The the 22€ thing goes will all U.K. shops be required to add Irish vat at checkout?

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-ending--22-import-exemption--import-oss-returns.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    The the 22€ thing goes will all U.K. shops be required to add Irish vat at checkout?

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-ending--22-import-exemption--import-oss-returns.html

It appears Amazon.co.uk are not applying any VAT to items under €22.

So from what I can see we'll have a 6 month period of zero VAT! I've already made two separate purchases of items <€22 on Amazon :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I see the uk price for any items under €22, I don't see zero vat just seems to be the uk vat price.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AuldDaysul

I see the uk price for any items under €22, I don't see zero vat just seems to be the uk vat price.

Sold by or fulfilled by amazon with delivery to an Irish address? You need to go through all the basket steps as if you're going to buy aswell, then the ex vat price will show up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Still getting mad 3 week shipping dates though...

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    Sold by or fulfilled by amazon with delivery to an Irish address? You need to go through all the basket steps as if you're going to buy aswell, then the ex vat price will show up

Actually just worked just now but seems to depend on item/item type. Worked for a lego toy but not for cadburys hot chocolate. Both items were being sold by amazon themselves.

ussjtrunks wrote: »

They should not charge UK VAT if they're exporting to Ireland, but there's no compulsion on them to collect Irish VAT unless the store is registered for VAT in Ireland (only the bigger ones will be). Otherwise it's up to the delivery service to collect the VAT in Ireland, and they can charge an admin fee to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

It's only working on some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Order Summary
    Items: . £18.32
    Postage & Packing: £6.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £5.11
    Total: . £29.43
    Promotion Applied: -£6.00
    Gift Certificates: -£23.43
    Order Total: £0.00

An item this evening. Shown as £21.99 with free delivery. Import Fees Deposit more than offsets VAT. They seem to have applied Irish VAT on the item plus postage and them took off the net postage.

Actually just worked just now but seems to depend on item/item type. Worked for a lego toy but not for cadburys hot chocolate. Both items were being sold by amazon themselves.

Hot chocolate powder is 0% VAT in Ireland.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/C/cocoa-drink-hot-food-and-drink-for-human-consumption-.aspx

"However, chocolate powder, cocoa powder, beans etc. are liable at the zero rate."

A hot chocolate drink, however, would be 9%:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/H/hot-chocolate-drink-food-and-drink-for-human-consumption-.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote:
    Still getting mad 3 week shipping dates though...

This is temporary because its unknown territory & Amazon are covering themselves. I'd be willing to bet that ordered on Monday and it will be delivered in 2 to 3 days. The only extra step is that it has to clear customs. That can only add an extra day imo

• Advertisement

Hot chocolate powder is 0% VAT in Ireland.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/C/cocoa-drink-hot-food-and-drink-for-human-consumption-.aspx

"However, chocolate powder, cocoa powder, beans etc. are liable at the zero rate."

A hot chocolate drink, however, would be 9%:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/H/hot-chocolate-drink-food-and-drink-for-human-consumption-.aspx

Didn't know that and yes it was powder. From googling it seems like it's zero vat in UK as well.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

theguzman wrote: »
    The only solution if you don't have friends or relatives in the UK or NI would be to have it sent to an Amazon box in Newry and go fetch it yourself and smuggle it in across the open border, obviously this is not feasible unless you live close to the border. It is also illegal so I would warn against it.
    There is no customs border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland so there is no illegality in what you're suggesting.

The problem you'll find though is that with a lot of stuff that Amazon is no longer delivering here, it's due to regularity barriers to importing certain items into the Single Market. As Northern Ireland remains in the Single Market (for goods), you'll find that Amazon is no longer delivering these to Northern Ireland either. And if you try sending them to AddressPal, they'll either refuse to accept them or they'll be blocked at customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Quackster wrote: »
    There is no customs border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland so there is no illegality in what you're suggesting.

The problem you'll find though is that with a lot of stuff that Amazon is no longer delivering here, it's due to regularity barriers to importing certain items into the Single Market. As Northern Ireland remains in the Single Market (for goods), you'll find that Amazon is no longer delivering these to Northern Ireland either. And if you try sending them to AddressPal, they'll either refuse to accept them or they'll be blocked at customs.

I wanted to order from Currys/PC World UK and collect from a store up north but it was only possible to collect from a store in GB. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Order Summary
    Items: . £18.32
    Postage & Packing: £6.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £5.11
    Total: . £29.43
    Promotion Applied: -£6.00
    Gift Certificates: -£23.43
    Order Total: £0.00

An item this evening. Shown as £21.99 with free delivery. Import Fees Deposit more than offsets VAT. They seem to have applied Irish VAT on the item plus postage and them took off the net postage.
    Yup , this one is done right . Postage needs to be added to calc the vat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Quackster wrote: »

If you want to import something from GB to NI, you have to have a real address there - an Amazon locker doesn't count.

Furthermore, if Amazon want to maintain their status as a Trusted Trader, they cannot be seen to be complicit in facilitating the unregulated movement of goods from NI into the EU. That the very reason the burden of proof requires that goods shipped GB->NI are not at risk of entering the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If i order goods from Northern Ireland no customs/vat added ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

dubmick wrote: »
    I’m actually finding it difficult to find a tv that will now ship to Ireland!

Edit: this one does: TCL 43EP658 43-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV with Freeview Play, Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, HDR10, Micro Dimming, Dolby Audio, Bluetooth, WiFi, 2*HDMI, 1*USB, Slim Bezel - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084K9XS1H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_Kl47FbV94WPKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Price goes to 280.96 to 299.51 at check out so more than just a 1% vat difference.

That Tv is available from powercity for €299

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Nope. Everything remains as-was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

guil wrote: »
    That Tv is available from powercity for €299

Ha I just picked any tv to check the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

No extra charges added - they're applied when the stock arrives in NI.

Advertisement