Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

@The_Brood What was the item? Amazon 'Import duties' are just away to charge Irish Vat. Majority Items work out the same as before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The_Brood wrote: »
    what the absolute ****?

9 euros new import tax for one item?

Are they taking the absolute piss? Did anyone fight for us? How do the EU think thats ok?

Would rather take a bullet to the head than pay that.

Fight for what ? You think the EU were worried about you getting cheap Amazon UK orders . Bullet to the head for €9 , dont import a car from the UK then or we're all doomed when you get the car vrt and nox bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

corkie wrote: »
    @The_Brood What was the item? Amazon 'Import duties' are just away to charge Irish Vat. Majority Items work out the same as before?

A small 35 euro heating appliance. I have not checked out all items but it seems to be exactly what Irish Times warned here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brexit-irish-consumers-warned-of-new-online-shopping-charges-1.4450977

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

In the grand scheme of things the amazon issues aren't the biggest but how an other little things like this will happen to Ireland because of brexit. Were getting screwed:eek::pac: more than the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

what the absolute ****?

9 euros new import tax for one item?

Are they taking the absolute piss? Did anyone fight for us? How do the EU think thats ok?

Would rather take a bullet to the head than pay that.

Gosh. Overreacting much??

Of course the future of the EU/UK relationship is completely secondary to some randomer on Boards getting his knickers in a twist over €9.

Maybe go outside (safely) and get a bit of perspective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

A small 35 euro heating appliance. I have not checked out all items but it seems to be exactly what Irish Times warned here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/brexit-irish-consumers-warned-of-new-online-shopping-charges-1.4450977

What's the advertised price compared to the checkout price?

If its sold by Amazon it should have the UK VAT taken off at the checkout then the Irish VAT added (amazon are naming this import fees) making it a touch more expensive (1%)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

corkie wrote: »
    Know bug in amazon process where they are charging VAT in error on books.

The VAT error appears to be fixed now. No import fees on books delivered to Ireland today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Gosh. Overreacting much??

Of course the future of the EU/UK relationship is completely secondary to some randomer on Boards getting his knickers in a twist over €9.

Maybe go outside (safely) and get a bit of perspective?

Maybe not all of us are rich and able to shop from elsewhere? Maybe Amazon Uk was one of the only methods for people who are not rich to get items for Ireland?

Maybe get off your high horse and understand that not everyone has the same economic advantages as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Seriously, just find another supplier. Maybe prices will come down in Ireland if people stop relying on Amazon so much.

Maybe not all of us are rich and able to shop from elsewhere? Maybe Amazon Uk was one of the only methods for people who are not rich to get items for Ireland?

Maybe get off your high horse and understand that not everyone has the same economic advantages as you?

Where did I say I have an economic advantage?? Please point it out, I'd be interested to know.

What I did say is that a preference for taking a bullet to the head over a €9 charge is an overreaction and on which a little sense of perspective and a view of the bigger picture might serve you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is Amazon actually cheaper? I have often found stuff cheaper in local shops. Or you could try buying it from Germany or somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

If I order online from Next which is UK based and ship from UK but have stores here in Ireland, will I still have to pay the vat etc if it is delivered for click and collect at nearest store?? Could not get a definite answer from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Brian2011 wrote: »
    If I order online from Next which is UK based and ship from UK but have stores here in Ireland, will I still have to pay the vat etc if it is delivered for click and collect at nearest store?? Could not get a definite answer from them.

It's an Irish company, so you would pay Irish Vat, no additions added on .

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Link to the item. Then the good people here can try and work out what's going on.

Sold by Amazon? Fulfilled by Amazon? Or a third-party seller, who hasn't registered for Irish VAT?

The vast majority of items sold or fulfilled by Amazon are costing much the same as before, certainly if you have Prime. And items below 22 euro *when not sold by a third party* are nearly 17% less than the UK price, as the UK's added 20% VAT (which makes the advertised price 120% of the non-VAT price) has been removed. So a £12 item costs us £10. Again, you need to have Prime to make the most of this, and this is only until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

NATLOR wrote: »
    What's the advertised price compared to the checkout price?

If its sold by Amazon it should have the UK VAT taken off at the checkout then the Irish VAT added (amazon are naming this import fees) making it a touch more expensive (1%)

The problem is that they are not deducting the UK Vat on many items...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭migrant

schmoo2k wrote: »

Give an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

They are, items that increase drastically once Irish VAT is applied are usually items that are VAT free in the UK or from sellers outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

schmoo2k wrote:

In the main they are Chinese sellers who aren't registered for VAT. People just need to check who is selling the item. Sold by Amazon and nothing changes price wise once under €150, over this and possible duty kicks in depending on the item

harmless wrote: »
    They are, items that increase drastically once Irish VAT is applied are usually items that are VAT free in the UK or from sellers outside the EU.

This is a very important point. There are many categories of products that have differing VAT rates in the UK versus here in Ireland. This may well answer the jump in price once in the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

I'll drop this in here, but most reading the thread are aware already?

Minister Alerts Consumers to Changes for Online Shopping with the UK

"The Minister for Trade Promotion, Digital and Company Regulation Mr Robert Troy, T.D, has today (Wednesday, January 6) issued a reminder to Irish consumers about the new arrangements now in place for online retail under the recently concluded Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the EU and the UK"

But i can see allot of people ordering from UK (not Irish VAT registered) companies. Getting hit with fees.

• Advertisement

migrant wrote: »
    Give an example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KHRLSTT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V5NH794ZRV7G&psc=1

At the bottom of the page it says:
    Please Note: Price shown includes UK VAT. If your shipping address is outside UK, VAT may vary or an import fee deposit may be collected at checkout.

When I checkout and select an Irish address the total looks like this (I have quantity of 2):

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 99.98
    Postage & Packing: GBP 7.49
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 22.58
    Order Total: GBP 130.05

So they are not deducting UK Vat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KHRLSTT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V5NH794ZRV7G&psc=1

At the bottom of the page it says:

When I checkout and select an Irish address the total looks like this (I have quantity of 2):

Order Summary
    Items: GBP 99.98
    Postage & Packing: GBP 7.49
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 22.58
    Order Total: GBP 130.05

So they are not deducting UK Vat.

The seller is outside the UK and EU so it's working as expected. Calculations are correct.

c094a5d996e263791952a86f048d3e78.png

The seller is outside the UK and EU so it's working as expected. Calculations are correct.

Annoying the company name and shipping info is presented as:
    Sold by Grilox-Europe and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Annoying the company name and shipping info is presented as:

Seeing Europe in the name is a red flag, many Chinese sellers do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But why, when I use my UK address, is there then no UK VAT applied?

It can also be found on Amazon.de here: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Sabrent-Aluminium-Switch-Supply-HB-PU16/dp/B07KHRLSTT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=HB-PU16&qid=1609947882&sr=8-1 @ 59 Euros (which is aprox 5 euro more than 49GBP.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    But why, when I use my UK address, is there then no UK VAT applied?

Its not a VAT surcharge its an Import Duty I assume we are seeing - but why this should be different to last month is beyond me (or is there 0 import duty into the UK from the US)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Its not a VAT surcharge its an Import Duty I assume we are seeing - but why this should be different to last month is beyond me (or is there 0 import duty into the UK from the US)?

It's 21% VAT, there is no import duty.

When I select my address pal address it shows VAT as £8.33 when I go to "see details"

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's 21% VAT, there is no import duty.

Then why are they not deducting the UK Vat? Its sitting in an Amazon warehouse in the UK and has UK Vat added as per the description?

Advertisement