Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Then why are they not deducting the UK Vat? Its sitting in an Amazon warehouse in the UK and has UK Vat added as per the description?

https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/forums/t/vat-changes-on-sales-to-uk-customers/372158

Looks like there are complication for sellers outside the UK and EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Then why are they not deducting the UK Vat? Its sitting in an Amazon warehouse in the UK and has UK Vat added as per the description?

That's the point. Why have they not taken the UK vat off?

I bought two items on Amazon last night and at checkout the UK VAT was deducted and the Irish VAT applied. This is how it should be. Buyers need to take care that all sales are as they expect them to be,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

The footnote on VAT does appear to be somewhat misleading. They may be including it as a catch all as there are multiple sellers.

If you select Amazon themselves as the seller from the other buying options (who are a little dearer on their UK price) the VAT is operating as expected i.e. they deduct the UK VAT and add on the Irish by way of the import fees deposit.

But when I buy with a UK address it does list how much UK VAT is paid.

I think this could have something to do with the very strict laws the UK government have introduced from the start of this year.
    Amazon collect Irish VAT by choice as they are registered here.

But now sellers from outside UK and EU must register in the UK for VAT or sell through a market place that will collect VAT on sales.
    Amazon is obliged to collect UK VAT on sales from these sellers if they want them selling on their platform.

What we are seeing here is a combination of UK's new VAT laws and Brexit.
    With the new system it's either easier or required that Amazon collect VAT for sales from every Non UK/EU seller.
    Or Amazon have made a mistake with their payment system on these sales.

I'm not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So my first orders of the year dispatched on Monday from Dormagen in Germany and will be delivered tomorrow, far quicker than I expected to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

is everyone seeing their orders ship from germany? also are your orders under e22?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Video wrote: »
    is everyone seeing their orders ship from germany? also are your orders under e22?

On orders Fulfilled by Amazon, why do people assume the stock is in UK warehouse?

It would also depend on where the seller is based?

It will be shipped by amazon from the most cost effective warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corkie wrote: »
    On orders Fulfilled by Amazon, why do people assume the stock is in UK warehouse?

It would also depend on where the seller is based?

It will be shipped by amazon from the most cost effective warehouse.

The seller was Amazon and not fulfilled by Amazon, before January 1st 95 % of printed material I purchased which would be at least a dozen or more items a month would come from a UK based warehouse.

I now have 8 printed items that have all been dispatched from Germany since January 1st, none so far from the UK which was the norm before.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Geuze wrote: »
    I added two items to Amazon.co.uk basket, both sold by Amazon:

Lego 15.99
    Pens 15.33
    Total = 31.32

At Check-out, it becomes
    13.32 + 12.77 = 26.09, so the 20% UK VAT has been deducted.

But import fees deposit of 6.74 is added, making 32.83.

That 6.74 is what? An estimate of Irish VAT?
    Amazon wrote:
    The Import Fees Deposit is an estimation of the taxes and duties that may apply. It can vary depending on the selected shipping method. The estimated Import Fees Deposit may not represent the actual amount paid to customs authorities. Customs regulations and tax rates applicable to certain goods may change between the date the taxes and duties were estimated and the applicable taxes and duties on the date of import into the destination country. The duty or tax rate is often determined by the classification of a good, which varies by destination. You won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated.
    so fee includes tax

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

garrettod wrote: »
    Amazon Prime seems pointless, to me :

- the range of TV shows and movies is too limited, unless you stick in a UK address, and get them to register you as a UK resident.

- sticking in a UK address only gets you free shipping in the UK, as I understand it. Then you've only got AddressPal, and likely extra charges when they apply the correction to Vat etc.

Am I mistaken, with the above, please?
    Prime video use to be so crap, but since covid, it is as good if not better than woke netflix, also cheaper. I'd say everything on UK is on Prime vid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Prime video use to be so crap, but since covid, it is as good if not better than woke netflix, also cheaper. I'd say everything on UK is on Prime vid

Prime in Ireland is lite on content IMO. Not sure what you mean by "woke netflix"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tomk1 wrote: »
    so fee includes tax

It is the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

My first order this year is being dispatched from Germany too. I purchased at about 1am this morning and it’s been dispatched already, far quicker than the Uk site has been for months! Delivery estimate of Jan 18th though, hopefully it gets here a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

The amount of stuff that is listed as "prime", has delivery fulfilled by amazon but they will not ship here. It isn't restricted stuff, it's simple things like the plastic face mask extenders, they will ship if I buy dearer ones though.
    I have cancelled a couple of orders and am waiting on one delivery that has had the delivery date change twice, I am seriously considering cancelling prime after that, I have 7 months left and I'm not sure it's worth it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Mine are all coming from UK, left Monday and still in UK customs. Before the 1st they'd of been here after 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Just had a notification that one of my orders has been dispatched. Was originally scheduled for delivery this Friday, it now says Monday 18th and says it's being delivered by Royal Mail ? It's definitely an Irish address on the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

hdl wrote: »
    Just had a notification that one of my orders has been dispatched. Was originally scheduled for delivery this Friday, it now says Monday 18th and says it's being delivered by Royal Mail ? It's definitely an Irish address on the order.

Ya I ordered something from Amazon ( third party seller) and it was dispatched , sent royal standard mail. It cost £23 90 including postage so I'm interested to see how it gets through customs . I wonder did they put contents and value with my contact details on the outside and will an post charge me €3.50 for handling it. Will they be able to contact me. How much vat will they charge. It's all very exciting.

Been sitting like this since Monday

Monday, 4 January
    4:06 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

I ordered 3 books on Jan 3rd, for me & 2friends, about £11 each, no additional charges, all with free delivery(i am not a prime member) 3 separate orders.

i sent one to my friend in UK, which was dispatched from Milton Keynes, and the other two, being sent to Irish addresses, have been both dispatched from Satolas-et-Bonce in France. My understanding is if the goods originated in UK, are sent to Ireland, there is a vat implication, but if originated in EU,no vat implications apply, which is what amazon uk have done with the two being sent to Ireland.

In my Amazon settings, my country is set to UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

fafy wrote: »
    I ordered 3 books on Jan 3rd, for me & 2friends, about £11 each, no additional charges, all with free delivery(i am not a prime member) 3 separate orders.

i sent one to my friend in UK, which was dispatched from Milton Keynes, and the other two, being sent to Irish addresses, have been both dispatched from Satolas-et-Bonce in France.

Were they the same books ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

Ogham wrote: »
    Were they the same books ?

Yes, its a lockdown thing we have been doing ! Every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

fafy wrote: »

i sent one to my friend in UK, which was dispatched from Milton Keynes, and the other two, being sent to Irish addresses, have been both dispatched from Satolas-et-Bonce in France.

I've been thinking about where Amazon are shipping Irish orders from t since Brexit.

In theory - if they ship all Irish orders from EU warehouses - then they are not imports from the UK - so no duty should be charged.
    (Not relevant on books I know )

It will be interesting to see if anyone has ordered something on which AmazonUK has added duty to - but which end up coming from Germany or FRance .
    Will Amazon refund the duty part of the Import Fees Deposit?

Has anyone ordered any big stuff that had duty on from AmazonUk since Jan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Ordered last Friday from Amazon Germany and the uk for different orders. German one arrived today and still waiting on the uk.
    Ps. For those with an interest in the hobbit and Lord of the rings 4k extended versions , they are about 15 euros cheaper on the german site incl postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

SMC92Ian wrote: »

Monday, 4 January
    SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex

Same here except since Sunday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

SMC92Ian wrote: »

Monday, 4 January
    SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex

Same as me - package arrived today.

Yay one of my orders arrived today, the one with customs, the €22 less still on hold...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

Hi guys I have amazon prime for years but obviously now I've no quick delivery. I've ordered a few things since 1st January but they're taking really long time in comparison to before. Is it worth my while delivering everything to my AddressPal instead? i know it's like 6 euro extra but just wondering is anyone else doing this?

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    Hi guys I have amazon prime for years but obviously now I've no quick delivery. I've ordered a few things since 1st January but they're taking really long time in comparison to before. Is it worth my while delivering everything to my AddressPal instead? i know it's like 6 euro extra but just wondering is anyone else doing this?

It may never be as fast as before but I expect delivery times to improve.
    Amazon have many logistic problems right now but should be able to rectify many of them in time.

If you order to address pal you will pay UK VAT on items under €22 and both UK and Irish VAT on items over that value on top of the address pal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

harmless wrote: »
    It may never be as fast as before but I expect delivery times to improve.
    Amazon have many logistic problems right now but should be able to rectify many of them in time.

If you order to address pal you will pay UK VAT on items under €22 and both UK and Irish VAT on items over that value on top of the address pal fee.

thanks, any idea what that VAT might cost?

I just have a speaker ordered to my home address its only 20 quid but estimated delivery is next month... wondering should I cancel and order it to my addresspal which estimated delivery is Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    thanks, any idea what that VAT might cost?

I just have a speaker ordered to my home address its only 20 quid but estimated delivery is next month... wondering should I cancel and order it to my addresspal which estimated delivery is Monday

you'll end up paying a load of extra fees and it'll just get stuck in an posts queue instead

Advertisement