Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

so guys correct me if I'm wrong but UK Amazon is now better than before or I'm missing something?

checking Oculus Quest 2: sold by Amazon.co.uk, original price 299 pounds.
    I'm adding this to the basket and this is what I get:
    Order Summary
    Items: £249.17
    Postage & Packing: £4.00
    Import Fees Deposit: £53.17
    Total: £306.34

so they remove their vat first, then add EU one... which makes it almost the same price?

now if we take Spanish Amazon: sold by Amazon.es, original price 349 euro plus postage. More expensive than UK one?? I can't remember the case when ES / DE amazons were more expensive that UK one, as least from my experience... am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

XVII wrote: »
    so guys correct me if I'm wrong but UK Amazon is now better than before or I'm missing something?

Order Summary

so they remove their vat first, then add EU one... which makes it almost the same price?

now if we take Spanish Amazon: sold by Amazon.es, original price 349 euro plus postage. More expensive than UK one?? I can't remember the case when ES / DE amazons were more expensive that UK one, as least from my experience... am I missing something here?

Amazon UK are registered for VAT in Ireland, they were removing UK VAT and charging Irish VAT long before Brexit so that's not it.
    Anything that has to move from the UK warehouse to mainland EU could have increased cost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just ordered a book from Amazon, €39 assuming being a book no vat, delivery expected 29th Jan seems abit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Order Summary

nevermind me, apparently "Import Fees Deposit" may not include customs duty, which may be applicable to your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

nevermind me, apparently "Import Fees Deposit" may not include customs duty, which may be applicable to your order.
    There will be no customs duty.
    If there was any you would have been charged at checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

TimHorton wrote: »
    Just took delivery of 7 Items from Amazon , All less than €22 , Delivery date was estimated for 18th but all arrived separately today the 11th , So knock a week off what Amazon are saying.
    Did you order them separately or in bulk? Was it from amazon or third party? Did you have to pay any postal charges for each item if you did it separately. Sorry this is all so confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Talking to my Amazon delivery driver today, he said it's only his second day back in work this year because everything is so delayed by customs.

Incidentally he was delivering my order from last Monday that wasn't due until Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Ogham wrote: »
    There will be no customs duty.
    If there was any you would have been charged at checkout.

Is the customs duty not charged when the goods reach Ireland? I thought An Post are handling that and charging a fee of 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

raclle wrote: »
    Did you order them separately or in bulk? Was it from amazon or third party? Did you have to pay any postal charges for each item if you did it separately. Sorry this is all so confusing

All Separate and no extra postal charges as I have prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

It seems to me that, as long as people are willing to go through this, and lose out on EU consumer protection, Amazon will hold off setting up any ie site or an English language ui for amazon.de or amazon.fr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is the customs duty not charged when the goods reach Ireland? I thought An Post are handling that and charging a fee of 10 euro.

Check post 977 as the title says: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115788766&postcount=977

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

The parcel that I ordered on the 7th form the UK site was dispatched from Germany on the same day and is out for delivery today, that’s far better than any of the parcels dispatched from the UK in months! It was due to be delivered on the 18th so I’m happy out with that. The rest of the parcels that I ordered at the same time haven’t even been dispatched yet and have estimated arrival dates of between the 19th and the 22nd. I presume that they are being sent from the UK but it will be interesting to see.

Edit: Actually the postman has been and gone and no parcel but it still says out for delivery :confused:

Finally arrived, postman has so many parcels to deliver and only a small van so he had to do two rounds like before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

Just wondering if anyone has an item in the same boat as myself. Ordered a router before Christmas on amazon uk. It appears to be stuck at customs check. Ordered other stuff in Jan and the other items have clear customs checks and appear to be slowly making their way to me. I've obviously paid vat on the order as it was in 2020. Just wondering if it will be held for import duty now.

The parcel that I ordered on the 7th form the UK site was dispatched from Germany on the same day and is out for delivery today, that’s far better than any of the parcels dispatched from the UK

I get a parcel once a month from a German company(not Amazon)
    It normally takes 5 working days to arrive minimum. The one this month only took 3 days while most my Amazon UK order are held up with long delays.

Even though we are in the single market with Germany there are still some basic random checks done but it looks like they are ignoring that and fast tracking EU orders, customs officers are probably totally focused on the UK.

Burks_ie wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has an item in the same boat as myself. Ordered a router before Christmas on amazon uk. It appears to be stuck at customs check. Ordered other stuff in Jan and the other items have clear customs checks and appear to be slowly making their way to me. I've obviously paid vat on the order as it was in 2020. Just wondering if it will be held for import duty now.

It depends on when you ordered. If there is no customs decorations on the parcel it will be stock in a large backlog and customs will contact you when they can.

If you give the exact date of dispatch then maybe someone can confirm when Amazon started applying the appropriate customs decorations.
    And unless it was fulfilled by amazon it may not have them even if they dispatched this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Burks_ie

harmless wrote: »
    It depends on when you ordered. If there is no customs decorations on the parcel it will be stock in a large backlog and customs will contact you when they can.

If you give the exact date of dispatch then maybe someone can confirm when Amazon started applying the appropriate customs decorations.
    And unless it was fulfilled by amazon it may not have them even if they dispatched this year.

It only dispatched on the 6th jan but was ordered and paid for before the new year with vat added to the price. I'd image it will be held up and given the type and value. It was fulfilled by amazon eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

fafy wrote: »
    I ordered 3 books on Jan 3rd, for me & 2friends, about £11 each, no additional charges, all with free delivery(i am not a prime member) 3 separate orders.

i sent one to my friend in UK, which was dispatched from Milton Keynes, and the other two, being sent to Irish addresses, have been both dispatched from Satolas-et-Bonce in France. My understanding is if the goods originated in UK, are sent to Ireland, there is a vat implication, but if originated in EU,no vat implications apply, which is what amazon uk have done with the two being sent to Ireland.

In my Amazon settings, my country is set to UK.

Received the two books today, ordered originally from Amazon UK, but dispatched from France expected delivery date was January 18th. These were 2 separate orders, but they arrived in one package. These were ordered Jan 3rd.

The 3rd book delivered to a UK address areived last Friday on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭moany fuc

So here is my story. Have Amazon Prime, ordered in stock item fulfilled by Amazon and sent via prime.

Ordered on the 4th of January and still waiting email with estimated delivery time. So they haven't even bothered their ass to pick and dispatch the item yet. No email or notification to say it's been sent and order still saying awaiting delivery date.

I contacted Amazon 2 days ago and they said they would dispatch within 24 hours. Still nothing.

So delivery problems or not, customs or not. Amazon seem to not give a crap about this market anymore when they cant even dispatch items.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

moany fuc wrote: »
    So here is my story. Have Amazon Prime, ordered in stock item fulfilled by Amazon and sent via prime.

Ordered on the 4th of January and still waiting email with estimated delivery time. So they haven't even bothered their ass to pick and dispatch the item yet. No email or notification to say it's been sent and order still saying awaiting delivery date.

I contacted Amazon 2 days ago and they said they would dispatch within 24 hours. Still nothing.

So delivery problems or not, customs or not. Amazon seem to not give a crap about this market anymore when they cant even dispatch items.

Yet I, not Prime, ordered 2 items fulfilled by Amazon on 9th January and they were dispatched this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

moany fuc wrote: »

I ordered a monitor on the 28th of Dec. Was in stock when i ordered but wasn't dispatched until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

I ordered three items between the 3rd and 4th - all under £20 and free delivery with prime. The item ordered on the 4th arrived a few days ago without issue.

The two items ordered on the 3rd were subsequently dispatched on the 4th and arrived at the Amazon warehouse facility in St. Helen's Merseyside in the evening. They haven't moved since then and the packages are now marked as 'Might be lost' on Amazon, I can apply for a refund. Of course, I want to accept the refund and then hope the items are still delivered but I might wait a day or two to see if anything changes.

Anyone in a similar boat with packages stalled in At. Helen's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Not St Helen's, but I have a package with no tracking updates since Tuesday last week that was supposed to arrive two days ago. Another order placed around the same time had very similar tracking but that showed up in Dublin a day early.

Tuesday, 5 January
    3:17 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Rochester, GB
    3:07 PM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Rochester, GB
    1:24 AM
    Package departed an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Kent GB

Monday, 4 January
    2:33 PM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Medway GB
    Package has shipped

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Stuff used to get dispatched within a day, now its days and that's before customs get involved. Would love to know why the change in process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

It's not customs delaying my packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Tried to order something earlier but it couldn't be delivered to my address so had to order it on amazon.de

An extra €10 for shipping :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I had a quick goo over the thread and didn't see it mentioned, so apologies if I missed it:

Someone in a facebook book group I'm in (in another EU country) bought a book with free delivery but saw the shipping company who filled out the export form put in £90 as the cost for shipping the item as the retailer did not list the delivery fees separately. This meant he had to pay a significantly larger amount in VAT. I don't think it was Amazon but rather Book Depository, owned by Amazon, so I'm thinking it could happen to their parcels too.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Ordered single item Christmas day. Arrived DPD this morn. Clear shipping/customs delays on this one.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭migrant

Stuff used to get dispatched within a day, now its days and that's before customs get involved. Would love to know why the change in process.

The reason is in the title of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I had a quick goo over the thread and didn't see it mentioned, so apologies if I missed it:

Someone in a facebook book group I'm in (in another EU country) bought a book with free delivery but saw the shipping company who filled out the export form put in £90 as the cost for shipping the item as the retailer did not list the delivery fees separately. This meant he had to pay a significantly larger amount in VAT. I don't think it was Amazon but rather Book Depository, owned by Amazon, so I'm thinking it could happen to their parcels too.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Firstly, he should get the Book Depository to reimburse him for that.

Secondly, books are VAT zero-rated in Ireland so you won't have that issue here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭moany fuc

migrant wrote: »
    The reason is in the title of this thread.

Can you explain???

Was under the impression Brexit caused the delivery delays, not the more then one week dispatch times for in stock Prime items.

Advertisement