Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    So no point having Prime now un less you watch their shows and films.

You are currently getting a significant reduction off Amazon's already competitively priced items under €22 until July.

After July, it will still be the case that not much has changed for us for items under €150 (and some above €150) and I'm sure they will have sorted out their fast priority delivery for Ireland by then.

So there's plenty of reasons to have Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Or if you don’t mind the longer delivery times

Even with Prime I'm waiting 2 weeks and prices are the same.

Prices are not the same for items sold direct or fulfilled by Amazon that are under €22. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

For me prime is still worth it for the postage savings . I have several orders a month and am usually in no great rush . Buying more small household items now for the vat saving tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

I ordered a mesh wifi system and a book on the 7th Jan and they are due on the 29th Jan. Just Irish VAT to pay, zero duty estimated so okay to wait.

Checked to see what the delivery time would be for a UK address and they offer same day delivery (before 10pm) if ordered before 9am-ish. I guess Brexit impacted there!

Fingers crossed Amazon connect their new fulfilment centre in Rathcoole to Amazon FR/DE/ES or create an Amazon EU but I guess we are a small and remote market compared to continental Europe.

• Advertisement

For me prime is still worth it for the postage savings . I have several orders a month and am usually in no great rush . Buying more small household items now for the vat saving tbh

Ah see I only buy big things from Amazon, I think people are mental who buy tissue or tape etc from Amazon, I'll walk to Dealz or Tesco for that.

scottyboy wrote: »
    I ordered a mesh wifi system and a book on the 7th Jan and they are due on the 29th Jan. Just Irish VAT to pay, zero duty estimated so okay to wait.

Checked to see what the delivery time would be for a UK address and they offer same day delivery (before 10pm) if ordered before 9am-ish. I guess Brexit impacted there!

Fingers crossed Amazon connect their new fulfilment centre in Rathcoole to Amazon FR/DE/ES or create an Amazon EU but I guess we are a small and remote market compared to continental Europe.

Yup 2 items to my London flat would be tomorrow, but to here in Ireland, 1st of Feb, with Prime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I wonder if Conor Pope will be able to get to the bottom of it..

Hello Twitter if you have had problems with deliveries from the UK in recent days can you mail me some details? Doesn’t have to be too long. cpope@IrishTimes.com. And can you send me your story even if you have already tweeted me about it? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I wonder if Conor Pope will be able to get to the bottom of it..

Hello Twitter if you have had problems with deliveries from the UK in recent days can you mail me some details? Doesn’t have to be too long. cpope@IrishTimes.com. And can you send me your story even if you have already tweeted me about it? Thanks!

What exactly do you need explained to you?

Ah see I only buy big things from Amazon, I think people are mental who buy tissue or tape etc from Amazon, I'll walk to Dealz or Tesco for that.

If the item is cheaper on Amazon, then why are such people mental?

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What exactly do you need explained to you?

Why they are now taking days to pick an item and dispatch it whilst pre 1/1 stuff was generally dispatched within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Why they are now taking days to pick an item and dispatch it whilst pre 1/1 stuff was generally dispatched within 24 hours.

I ordered this on the 7th

97acd980cedc6c8d72fd9af14f0bebb1.png
    The picking process takes the same amount of time it's the customs clearance processes that's the issue. I didn't get a dispatched notification until this had completed.

At a guess it looks like parcels for Ireland must have rigorous checks to ensure all customs documentation are correct. No risks taken in an attempt to speed it up. The staff will not be fully trained yet.
    You only have to see what has happened to couriers like DPD to realse how vital it is these documents are correct.

If the item is cheaper on Amazon, then why are such people mental?

It's a waste, I'm not going searching through listings for a bit of Blu Tac to save 5p that you don't save because you've to pay for Prime.

It's a waste, I'm not going searching through listings for a bit of Blu Tac to save 5p that you don't save because you've to pay for Prime.

In what way is walking to Dealz shorter than typing Blu Tac into the search box and clicking the first result?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So I got hit with a VAT bill.

They said the value was 28.54

It was a £14 item I had shipped to address pal - shipping was free so, and address Pal 6.50 but somehow they valued it at 28.54 for VAT

There was no way to raise a question - either accept the fee and pay it or refuse to pay.
    I paid as I want to see the declared value on the item and see how they came up with that value.

From Amazon Invoice
    Total: £14.61

From AddressPal
    Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 15:47 U.K. 1.68kg €6.50

The email from An Post:
    Customs Value: € 28.54
    Date:16/01/2021

Import Duty:€ 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00
    VAT:€ 5.99
    An Post Fee:€ 3.50

Total to be Paid: € 9.49
    Pay by Date: 09/02/2021

In what way is walking to Dealz shorter than typing Blu Tac into the search box?

Especially when Dealz, or any shop, is over 12km away. :)

deadl0ck wrote: »

It was a £14 item I had shipped to address pal - shipping was free so, and address Pal 6.50 but somehow they valued it at 28.54 for VAT

There was no way to raise a question - either accept the fee and pay it or refuse to pay.
    I paid as I want to see the declared value on the item and see how they came up with that value.

From Amazon Invoice

From AddressPal

The email from An Post:

It's the cost of the item plus delivery (even if Amazon discount and credit it at checkout) plus the addresspal costs. £28 is spot on. You owe irish vat plus an post fee.

Using Addresspal costs you UK vat and Irish vat.

From Amazon Invoice

From AddressPal

The email from An Post:

You have to pay 21% on the AddressPal processing fee, the AddressPal delivery fee, the Amazon delivery fee (even though it's removed at checkout) and the cost of the item.

Edit: Snap!

In what way is walking to Dealz shorter than typing Blu Tac into the search box and clicking the first result?

Because I get fresh air, it's €1.50 and I have it 10 minutes after I want it.

Not waiting days off Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's the cost of the item plus delivery (even if Amazon discount and credit it at checkout) plus the addresspal costs. £28 is spot on. You owe irish vat plus an post fee.

Using Addresspal costs you UK vat and Irish vat.

So even if I don't pay for delivery (I'm prime) ?
    Do they estimate the delivery cost then or what?

• Advertisement

Because I get fresh air, it's €1.50 and I have it 10 minutes after I want it.

Not waiting days off Amazon.

10 minutes? Wow, you must live next door to a Dealz. :pac:

I'd recommend not buying anything online thinking like that then.

Most people who buy small items online don't need them immediately and would prefer the saving of money and of their own time. Life is too short to be going all the way to a Dealz or the likes to buy one small item. If fresh air is important, I'd recommend spending all of those 10 minutes outside than half of them in a store. Your logic of spending your own time and energy to get it makes more sense for large items than for small items.

So even if I don't pay for delivery (I'm prime) ?
    Do they estimate the delivery cost then or what?

Yes. You still have to pay tax on the delivery because Royal Mail etc. were still charged to deliver it to AddressPal even if you weren't. Not sure how they calculate it though.

harmless wrote: »
    I ordered this on the 7th

97acd980cedc6c8d72fd9af14f0bebb1.png
    The picking process takes the same amount of time it's the customs clearance processes that's the issue. I didn't get a dispatched notification until this had completed.

At a guess it looks like parcels for Ireland must have rigorous checks to ensure all customs documentation are correct. No risks taken in an attempt to speed it up. The staff will not be fully trained yet.
    You only have to see what has happened to couriers like DPD to realse how vital it is these documents are correct.

It never took 7 days for them to dispatch something pre 1/1 (what your example shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ordered a small item from a third-party seller but fulfilled by Amazon on 4 January with a delivery date of 28 January (!).

It arrived yesterday.

Their shipping times are completely out of whack at present. Everyone can only hope that they get their accuracy back before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I ordered two items on the 7th, one arrived last week and the other hasn't been dispatched yet. When I try the chat online service the bot tells me it will be delivered on time.

They seem to have done away with the live chat customer service.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

If you go around in circles a couple of times, you can get through a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

It never took 7 days for them to dispatch something pre 1/1 (what your example shows).

I thought you were looking for a possible explanation for the delays....

It will improve of course as Amazon and customs staff are fully trained in. A free trade deal does not guarantee friction-less trade like the single market it just reduces or eliminates most tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Yes. You still have to pay tax on the delivery because Royal Mail etc. were still charged to deliver it to AddressPal even if you weren't. Not sure how they calculate it though.

is there any source for that info? Doesn't make sense to charge you vat on free delivery esp when suppliers usually have that in-built into their prices

bb12 wrote: »
    is there any source for that info? Doesn't make sense to charge you vat on free delivery esp when suppliers usually have that in-built into their prices

But they don't have that built into their prices. If you order something that costs £10 on Amazon, the price of that item is £10 whether you have Prime or not. If you don't have Prime, you pay for delivery. If you do have Prime, you are also still paying for delivery as the delivery cost is paid for by a fraction of your Prime subscription.

How it works for websites that offer free delivery without the need to pay for a subscription (or for Amazon items above the £20 UK free delivery threshold), I'm not as sure but I would assume that it works the way you suggested. deadl0ck's item was however below this threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Two items ordered on the 11th. Delivery date 25 January. This one is on its way to my today, the other has yet to dispatch...makes zero sense. Prime service my posterior!!

Incidentally, both are small ticket office supplies of the same brand. Not two hugely different items. Sold and dispatched by Amazon.

Advertisement