Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Caranica wrote: »
    Two items ordered on the 11th. Delivery date 25 January. This one is on its way to my today, the other has yet to dispatch...makes zero sense. Prime service my posterior!!

Incidentally, both are small ticket office supplies of the same brand. Not two hugely different items. Sold and dispatched by Amazon.
    They probably come from different warehouses.

Try ordering from just about any other UK based retailer and you will see Amazon are really on the ball with this.
    Again I stress it will probably never be as fast as it was again but Amazon will increase efficiency with the customs process over time.

If you need items fast buy from Amazon Germany and pay the delivery fee. If you want to save money order from the UK with prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

ordered 2 blindboy books on Friday: delivery was for 24/01. Get them yesterday so 3 days with the weekend in-between

Another item (food safe grease) shipped on Sunday. Customs clearing yesterday with the delivery date for 28/01

Seems different products have different times (depending on popularity/stock etc)

The last item was with prime but shipped from DE (via uk.co) has a range of dates between today and 29/01

Generally everything worse than before the b-day

I am starting to look at AliExpress more for things i don't immediately need as the last 2 deliveries took 10 and 14 days from China which is absolutely amazing. And I used AliExpress typically for items i can wait for and wouldn't need for 2 months in general

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Remember that anything coming from Aliexpress from China will be hit by customs from the start of July; so it may only be a temporary alternative.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

harmless wrote: »
    I thought you were looking for a possible explanation for the delays....

It will improve of course as Amazon and customs staff are fully trained in. A free trade deal does not guarantee friction-less trade like the single market it just reduces or eliminates most tariffs.

What have customs got to do with amazon robots in the warehouse taking longer to pick and dispatch orders?

Whatever about customs delays with brexit which is understandable the other delays don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So even if I don't pay for delivery (I'm prime) ?
    Do they estimate the delivery cost then or what?

There is no VAT on delivery charge to Ireland for Prime members.

But there is for non Prime who get free delivery because the order is over £20.
    They apply teh vat to the delivery charge before they deduct the delivery charge.

• Advertisement

og2k7 wrote: »

I am starting to look at AliExpress more for things i don't immediately need as the last 2 deliveries took 10 and 14 days from China which is absolutely amazing. And I used AliExpress typically for items i can wait for and wouldn't need for 2 months in general

Good idea, get the most out of the Chinese sites before the change to VAT rules in July.

What have customs got to do with amazon robots in the warehouse taking longer to pick and dispatch orders?

Whatever about customs delays with brexit which is understandable the other delays don't.

Are you joking?
    It's their job to ensure the customs labels are correct unless they want to be in the same situation as DPD.
    Shipping is taking about the same length of time as before, the customs checks Amazon were smart enough to implement have caused long delays at the warehouse in exchange for almost no delay when it lands in Ireland.

Are you joking?
    It's their job to ensure the customs labels are correct unless they want to be in the same situation as DPD.

It took 7 days for the customs process to start on your order. It's not the main reason for the delay.

It took 7 days for the customs process to start on your order. It's not the main reason for the delay.

The customs check info on the tracking is not correct, it's not taking less than 60 seconds like it shows on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Yes. You still have to pay tax on the delivery because Royal Mail etc. were still charged to deliver it to AddressPal even if you weren't. Not sure how they calculate it though.

I don't think that is correct. Vat is charged on delivery from uk to ireland but in how it makes it's way around the uk is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

The customs check info on the tracking is not correct, it's not taking less than 60 seconds like it shows on there.

You ordered on the 7th. The first update was on the 14th and it was about the customs process starting.

And it can quite easily take <60 seconds to process it.

I don't think that is correct. Vat is charged on delivery from uk to ireland but in how it makes it's way around the uk is irrelevant.

VAT is charged on the landing cost, which includes the item cost, the Addresspal delivery fee, the Addresspal processing fee and any delivery charges within the UK.

You ordered on the 7th. The first update was on the 14th and it was about the customs process starting.

And it can quite easily take <60 seconds to process it.

Yes the actual check but the whole process with the massive backlog takes far longer. Parcels are sitting there waiting to be checked.
    The other option is no check and have 1/5 of the orders be rejected, like what is happening with many other companies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

VAT is charged on the landing cost, which includes the item cost, the Addresspal delivery fee, the Addresspal processing fee and any delivery charges within the UK.

It doesn't include the Processing/Customs clearance fee. That is a cost after it has landed.

L1011 wrote: »
    Remember that anything coming from Aliexpress from China will be hit by customs from the start of July; so it may only be a temporary alternative.

Typically order below 20 eur

I did buy things over though and got stung for VAT once when bought a phone.

I would think that if VAT will be an issue there will be more stock in the EUR warehouses (like i bought Xiaomi Roborock hoover which was 350 and was shipped from Spain I think).

Most of the items - if they start applying VAT will be still worth buying as they are very cheap.

Wonder if all the items will be hit with VAT? ANPost would need to hire thousands of people to inspect every single packet and then claim say 20 cents fee - is that even feasable? Genuine question

EDIT - read more about it on

Note

From 1 July 2021 import VAT will:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

be payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value
    and
    always be collected, irrespective of the amount due.

F***!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

But they don't have that built into their prices. If you order something that costs £10 on Amazon, the price of that item is £10 whether you have Prime or not. If you don't have Prime, you pay for delivery. If you do have Prime, you are also still paying for delivery as the delivery cost is paid for by a fraction of your Prime subscription.

How it works for websites that offer free delivery without the need to pay for a subscription (or for Amazon items above the £20 UK free delivery threshold), I'm not as sure but I would assume that it works the way you suggested. deadl0ck's item was however below this threshold.

well i've put an order in today with a different uk online site which offers free postage within the uk delivering to addresspal (retailer only ships to uk).
    order total is £86 so euro equivalent is about €98.50.

I'm expecting total fee from addresspal on this to be 6.50 + 3.50 + 22.78 (irish vat on total of 108.50) = 32.78.

Will wait and see what happens in a couple of days

Wonder if all the items will be hit with VAT? ANPost would need to hire thousands of people to inspect every single packet and then claim say 20 cents fee - is that even feasable? Genuine question

Possibly not feasible and if Irish revenue have their way they may decide to continue to ignore many low value items. We will have to wait and see what the EU have to say about it.

Irish revenue have an obligation to protect the EU single market.

Possibly not feasible and if Irish revenue have their way they may decide to continue to ignore many low value items. We will have to wait and see what the EU have to say about it.

Irish revenue have an obligation to protect the EU single market.

Looking at the examples from revenue it will absolutely kill AliExpress

Imagine buying accessories for a Barbie doll (which we actually bought for our daughter) for 50 cents. Imagine adding 10EUR processing fee

suddenly becomes 10.50 EUR

absolutely insane if its applicable to all items even the tiniest ones

whiterebel wrote: »
    It doesn't include the Processing/Customs clearance fee. That is a cost after it has landed.

Isn't landed cost defined as total price of getting the item to it's final destination, i.e. your doorstep, rather than to your country? Or am I remembering that incorrectly? Or am I wrong in the other sense in that VAT is not charged on the landing cost but on something else?

Looking at the examples from revenue it will absolutely kill AliExpress

Imagine buying accessories for a Barbie doll (which we actually bought for our daughter) for 50 cents. Imagine adding 10EUR processing fee

suddenly becomes 10.50 EUR

absolutely insane if its applicable to all items even the tiniest ones

Yup that's the point, the EU is currently in trade negotiations with China and may be using this to strengthen their position.

• Advertisement

Isn't landed cost defined as total price of getting the item to it's final destination, i.e. your doorstep, rather than to your country? Or am I remembering that incorrectly? Or am I wrong in the other sense in that VAT is not charged on the landing cost but on something else?

They may be confusing it with the customs clearance fee some couriers charge.

They may be confusing it with the customs clearance fee some couriers charge.

That would also fall under what (I understand) landed cost is defined as but now I'm questioning that. :pac:

I'll wait until whiterebel replies, but I was quite sure that landed cost isn't defined the way he or she is suggesting it is.

That would also fall under what (I understand) landed cost is defined as but now I'm questioning that. :pac:

I'll wait until whiterebel replies, but I was quite sure that landed cost isn't defined the way he or she is suggesting it is.

That charge is not applied by the courier until it has cleared customs so it could be different but I'm unsure about it.

That charge is not applied by the courier until it has cleared customs so it could be different but I'm unsure about it.

It's not charged yet but it is part of (what I understand) the landed cost is, and (I believed) import VAT was charged on the landed cost.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You're right, but landed doesn't (or at least never did) include the cost of Customs clearance. Other than that, it's to the door. I never asked why, but thinking about it now, it may be because it's not really a part of the movement.
    Addresspal fees from UK or US are included in calculations, but not their processing charge.

It might explain one that has been bugging me for a while.
    I'm sure that when I worked in the business, imports from outside the EU weren't subject to VAT on the movement i.e. pick up in the US, container to Dublin port etc. This is true for UPS, FedEx, DHL from the US.....apart from UPS who charge VAT on their clearance fee; €3.45 on the minimum €15.00 (@23%). Maybe the rest are wrong, and UPS are right - the clearance is outside the movement and should be subject to VAT?

An Post/AddressPal do say VAT is included, but it's probably just done to cover themselves.

Have you got any facts to back the "any delivery charges within the UK"

Like a link to exactly where this is stated on the revenue website.

I bought an item from a uk company delivery was free to addresspal. They didn't ad any delivery charge or vat. Now when amazon deliver to ireland evening you got the delivery free they ad the £6 and vat is charges in that.

I stand to be corrected but any delivery costs within the uk are not used for calculating the vat charges in ireland.

This is what I am saying.

If I pay £20 delivery from liverpool to addresspal in the uk. Does addresspal use the item cost for customs or do they use the item plus the £20 for customs.

The customs value on which Customs Duty is calculated is the cost of the goods plus:
    • transport (including postage)
    • any insurance
    • and
    • any handling charges
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

The customs value on which Customs Duty is calculated is the cost of the goods plus:
    • transport (including postage)
    • any insurance
    • and
    • any handling charges

to deliver the goods to the EU.

From the last point in the uk?

Transport is from the seller unless the terms are something like FOB (Free on Board) where the seller pays up to loading on vessel, aircraft or truck. If they specifically state that postage is paid within the UK, they wouldn't charge on that part, that's FOB.
    Most shipments are Ex Works, freight is the responsibility of the buyer, from the seller to their premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I bought an item from a uk company delivery was free to addresspal. They didn't ad any delivery charge or vat. Now when amazon deliver to ireland evening you got the delivery free they ad the £6 and vat is charges in that.

I stand to be corrected but any delivery costs within the uk are not used for calculating the vat charges in ireland.

This is what I am saying.

If I pay £20 delivery from liverpool to addresspal in the uk. Does addresspal use the item cost for customs or do they use the item plus the £20 for customs.

Well, a few posts back I posted that I was charged 9 Euro of fees on a 14 pounds item that I used address Pal for (6.50)
    People in the thread seemed to think they also included the cost of shipping it to AddressPal (even though I didn't pay any shipping as I'm prime).
    They came up a Customs Value of € 28.54
    I'd love to know if this is the case

Advertisement