Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Well, a few posts back I posted that I was charged 9 Euro of fees on a 14 pounds item that I used address Pal for (6.50)
    People in the thread seemed to think they also included the cost of shipping it to AddressPal (even though I didn't pay any shipping as I'm prime).
    They came up a Customs Value of € 28.54
    I'd love to know if this is the case

Good info

So €16.42(£14.61) + €6.50(address pal fee) + €3.50(An Post fee) = €26.42

€26.42 is over the €22 threshold and VAT must be applied but it's not €28.54 even accounting for the variance in Sterling/Euro rate.

What was the country of origin of the product or where was the business located, China?

A small duty fee could account for the extra €2 euro on the customs value

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

harmless wrote: »
    Good info

€26.42 is over the €22 threshold and VAT must be applied but it's not €28.54 even accounting for the variance in Sterling/Euro rate.

What was the country of origin of the product or where was the business located, China?

The €3.50 isn't included in their calculations for VAT.

I wonder is it one where there was no invoice included and they googled the product for a value? AP haven't been doing their usual and making contact looking for valuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As per usual, people asking for help but little info for some reason.

giphy.gif

I had said in this or another thread I wondered if they might start hitting people for prime, just like they hit them for "free/discounted" postage on amazon.

It seems to be a blatant exploitable loophole, and if other companies wanted to they could really exploit it to try an avoid tax. e.g. if I have a company amazonia.co.uk and have a service called Dime which costs £1000 to sign up to, you get free postage and can buy a laptop for pittance once a month.

rubadub wrote: »
    I had said in this or another thread I wondered if they might start hitting people for prime, just like they hit them for "free/discounted" postage on amazon.

It seems to be a blatant exploitable loophole, and if other companies wanted to they could really exploit it to try an avoid tax. e.g. if I have a company amazonia.co.uk and have a service called Dime which costs £1000 to sign up to, you get free postage and can buy a laptop for pittance once a month.

Tbh, I also wouldn't be surprised if one reason for the slow delivery and possible backlog is because some of the people who have an Ebay or Adverts storefront are buying as many VAT exempt items as possible to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Good info

Also no customs or duty on items less than €150.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Good info

On the Amazon invoice the seller is listed as

Sold by
    Amazon EU S.à r.l., UK Branch
    1 Principal Place, Worship Street
    London, EC2A 2FA
    United Kingdom
    VAT # GB727255821

Well, a few posts back I posted that I was charged 9 Euro of fees on a 14 pounds item that I used address Pal for (6.50)
    People in the thread seemed to think they also included the cost of shipping it to AddressPal (even though I didn't pay any shipping as I'm prime).
    They came up a Customs Value of € 28.54
    I'd love to know if this is the case

You paid 14 pounds and addresspal added the delivery of £6.00 so that's £20 pounds. £20 × 1.105 = €22.10 and then their delivery of €6.50 = €28.60

That's what I think. They charged you the £6 that Amazon charges for delivery to ireland.

Here is an order I made from Amazon.

Items:£16.68
    Postage & Packing:£6.00
    Total before VAT:£22.68
    Total:£22.68
    Promotion Applied:-£11.00
    Import Fees Deposit£4.76
    Order Total: £16.44

The postage get used for the import fee Deposit
    £22.68 × 0.21 = £4.76

Even though I got delivery for free but It goes in as a promotion.

Also my promotion of £5 wasn't taken off for the vat calculation. But was taken for the uk price.

Anyway I don't think I should pay anything as the vat is less than €6 and revenue don't collect it. So I suspect I will get a refund once an post confirms that to amazon.

You paid 14 pounds and addresspal added the delivery of £6.00 so that's £20 pounds. £20 × 1.105 = €22.10 and then their delivery of €6.50 = €28.60

That's what I think. They charged you the £6 that Amazon charges for delivery to ireland.

Import Fees Deposit£4.76

£22.68 × 0.21 = £4.76

Also my promotion of £5 wasn't taken off for the vat calculation. But was taken for the uk price.

Anyway I don't think I should pay anything as the vat is less than €6 and revenue don't collect it. So I suspect I will get a refund once an post confirms that to amazon.

Where did you get the "added the delivery of £6.00" from ?
    I paid £14 + €6.50 only - are you saying they are just pulling a number out of the air for postage within the UK ? This is the bit I don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Import Fees Deposit£4.76

£22.68 × 0.21 = £4.76

You're not entitled to a cent back. The calculation from Amazon you show is an excellent example of exactly how it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

L1011 wrote: »
    Remember that anything coming from Aliexpress from China will be hit by customs from the start of July; so it may only be a temporary alternative.

AliExpress offer different shipping options. I was looking at stuff last week and as well as China and the US it was giving me the option to ship from France or Poland. Tiny price difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I paid £14 + €6.50 only - are you saying they are just pulling a number out of the air for postage within the UK ? This is the bit I don't understand

The VAT is chargeable from the seller to you. Your €6.50 only gets it from Heathrow to you. They are charging the tax on the postage to AddressPal. Amazon refund you the shipping cost as a promotion. They don't pluck the figure form the air, its written on the order.

Caranica wrote: »
    AliExpress offer different shipping options. I was looking at stuff last week and as well as China and the US it was giving me the option to ship from France or Poland. Tiny price difference.

The majority of items don't have that option unfortunately.

Caranica wrote: »
    I've also had stuff sent from China and they seem to send it initially to the Netherlands and then it's reshipped to Ireland - I think they are dodging import fees by doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just ordered something on Amazon after Irish retailer left me down big time. Noticed no delivery time on any of the searched items "we'll email you when we have an estimated delivery time".

When amazon send items directly to Ireland, there standard fee is £6.00 for delivery. As shown on my example which I took from the amazon item I purchased.

I still got the delivery for free from Amazon but the amount for vat, included it.

So that's what I think your customs calculation is made up of. I can't be for sure but it calculates to the cents.

I do know the standard delivery for Amazon in the uk is usually only £2.99 but if addresspal know this I am not so sure.

When amazon send items directly to Ireland, there standard fee is £6.00 for delivery. As shown on my example which I took from the amazon item I purchased.

I still got the delivery for free from Amazon but the amount for vat, included it.

So that's what I think your customs calculation is made up of. I can't be for sure but it calculates to the cents.

I do know the standard delivery for Amazon in the uk is usually only £2.99 but if addresspal know this I am not so sure.

Makes sense - thanks

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You're not entitled to a cent back. The calculation from Amazon you show is an excellent example of exactly how it should be done.

"VAT liability amounting to €6 or less will not be collected. If Customs Duty or Excise Duty is applicable, it will always be collected."

Can you explain this statement directly from the Revenue website Jim.

Some useful info for people. Taken from moneyguideireland.com

Admin Charges if You Have to Pay VAT or Duty on Delivery.
    An Post says they charge 1% of the value of the parcel, with a maximum charge of €10. (Used to be minimum of €10 but was altered on Jan 11th). But – it looks like they are charging a flat €3.50 per package.

FEDEX – Charge 2.5% of the Taxes and Duties . Min €15.

DHL Express – Charge 2.5% of the Taxes and Duties . Min €14.50.

VAT on Packages over €22 :
    Import VAT under €6 is not currently collected by Revenue in Ireland. So this in effect means that UK orders to Ireland under roughly €28 inc delivery will be free of import VAT until July 2021.

Taken from moneyguideireland.com

Not a cent back, are you so sure back it up? Back it up with facts, as that's what we need on this thread.

Import VAT under €6 is not currently collected by Revenue in Ireland. So this in effect means that UK orders to Ireland under roughly €28 inc delivery will be free of import VAT until July 2021.

Not a cent back, are you so sure back it up? Back it up with facts, as that's what we need on this thread.

My VAT was 5.99 and they collected it:

The email from An Post:
    Customs Value: € 28.54
    Date:16/01/2021

Import Duty:€ 0.00
    Excise Duty:€ 0.00
    VAT:€ 5.99
    An Post Fee:€ 3.50

Total to be Paid: € 9.49
    Pay by Date: 09/02/2021

I'd be taking what moneyguideireland.com says with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The email from An Post:

They have updated that info - looks like Revenue have started collecting VAT under €6 . !

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/vat-and-online-shopping-in-the-uk-after-brexit.html

" Up until Jan 2021 Revenue didn’t bother collecting any import VAT under €6 – but it seems that practice has been discontinued. "

The email from An Post:

VAT liability amounting to €6 or less will not be collected. If Customs Duty or Excise Duty is applicable, it will always be collected."

This is from revenue, but they don't know what they are doing anymore.

Ogham wrote: »
    They have updated that info - looks like Revenue have started collecting VAT under €6 . !

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/vat-and-online-shopping-in-the-uk-after-brexit.html

" Up until Jan 2021 Revenue didn’t bother collecting any import VAT under €6 – but it seems that practice has been discontinued. "

Thanks for the head up, I will contact revenue to confirm. And will post back to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your €6 claim is out of date.

Yeah sure you knew that. Still any links to back up your claim?

I contacted revenue now to get correct information.

Brexit Unit
    Customs Division
    Revenue
    www.revenue.ie/brexit

Revenue

They seem to have got rid of the €6 collection limit, and instead have a limit of on the value of €22. This includes transport and insurance.

but it seems

I wouldn't consider that to be solid.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Revenue

They seem to have got rid of the €6 collection limit, and instead have a limit of on the value of €22. This includes transport and insurance.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/gifts-and-consignments-of-low-value/index.aspx

Yes but it's still on revenue website and I can only go with that. So I have emailed to get the correct information, until then we can only assume.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/gifts-and-consignments-of-low-value/index.aspx

Yes but it's still on revenue website and I can only go with that. So I have emailed to get the correct information, until then we can only assume.

Your link is the 6th May. The one I linked is 22nd December. I'd say they haven't changed the older one yet.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Your link is the 6th May. The one I linked is 22nd December. I'd say they haven't changed the older one yet.

Thanks for that.

But I am not finished yet. Taken from the revenue bible. Updated in 2021.

Document last updated January 2021

3.9 Waiver of small amounts
    The practice of not collecting Import VAT amounting to €6 or less on any one consignment is likely
    to be discontinued shortly. This is in line with a similar change on the Customs duty side when the
    practice of not collecting amounts less that €10 was discontinued when the Union Customs Code
    came into operation on the 01/05/2016.

Is likely to be discontinued shortly.

That's doesn't mean it's finished.

As I said before dont jump to conclusions. I ONLY WORK WITH FACTS.

So I will wait for revenue to email me back.

In my opinion it will end in July 2021. Like when the €22 will end.

Anyway if you guys think you are right, that's your right.

Advertisement