Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Here is an update specifically for Jim_Hodge & Whiterebel

This is a reply back to my email from REVENUE Customs Division.

Whiterebel
    You may have to go and change your bold statements in all the threads.

Hi,

My understanding is that this is still the position but this will be removed from 1 July 2021.

I trust this information will be of benefit.

Regards

Trader Outreach Team

Brexit Unit

For all the other people on the thread. I asked Revenue about the vat not collected if less than €6.00.

Anybody than has been charged vat less than €6, This is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Whiterebel

Hi,

My understanding is that this is still the position but this will be removed from 1 July 2021.

Regards

Trader Outreach Team

Brexit Unit

For all the other people on the thread. I asked Revenue about the vat not collected if less than €6.00.

So it's An Post being over eager then

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So it's An Post being over eager then

That's what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Whiterebel

Hi,

Regards

Trader Outreach Team

Brexit Unit

Unless my eyes are playing tricks - it looks like Revenu have today changed that page and removed any reference to the VAT under €6.
    They must be reading this - or the email made someone realise they were wrong... :)
    So VAT under €6 is now collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merged to Amazon megathread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've already answered this in the AddressPal thread, so I'm not keeping this going across different threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks like Amazon wont send any food type products to Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zardoz wrote: »

Somebody said it was particular ones.

I tried a bag of sugar and was refused though it was 3rd party.

I then tried another from amazon an it was allowed.

I think the limits were related to dairy and stuff like that. While I figured sugar would be fairly neutral as its so processed and a single ingredient.

Tested egg noodles too and could get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭migrant

Zardoz wrote: »
    No, it doesn't.
    I place food orders with Amazon almost every day, including today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

migrant wrote: »
    No, it doesn't.

Ok, I must keep checking.
    I can't seem to get any cat food, flax oil, vitamin D , stuff I had bought in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

What is going on...

Wednesday, 20 January
    8:05 AM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Irlam, Manchester
    7:55 AM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Irlam, Manchester
    7:08 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    6:46 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    6:44 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    6:42 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    4:20 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

rubadub wrote: »
    Somebody said it was particular ones.

I tried a bag of sugar and was refused though it was 3rd party.

I then tried another from amazon an it was allowed.

I think the limits were related to dairy and stuff like that. While I figured sugar would be fairly neutral as its so processed and a single ingredient.

Tested egg noodles too and could get them.

Can't get catfood anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ogham wrote: »
    Unless my eyes are playing tricks - it looks like Revenu have today changed that page and removed any reference to the VAT under €6.
    They must be reading this - or the email made someone realise they were wrong... :)
    So VAT under €6 is now collected.

The date on the revenue link above has changed from May 2020 to 20th jan 2021.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The date on the revenue link above has changed from May 2020 to 20th jan 2021.

That's what I was saying. :)

I think myself the problem may have been with the couriers. They probably went all the way through the entry, and found it came to VAT of €5.95. Do all that work, and not collect it? Easier to work out once its a Vat-able amount €22 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

migrant wrote: »
    No, it doesn't.

Can you give some examples? Because the vast majority of stuff here wont' ship here anymore

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Grocery-Food/zgbs/grocery/365130031/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

scottigael wrote: »
    Can you give some examples? Because the vast majority of stuff here wont' ship here anymore

I picked two at random on that page and both delivered here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I picked two at random on that page and both delivered here.

You are right in that the ship say Lindt....but no longer Prime.

Someone put a very good explanation why most chocolate can't be shipped here via Prime now (origin or raw material IIRC). Going non prime makes it very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ric.ie

Got an AddressPal/Customs notice today for €5.29 due in VAT (plus admin fee) on an Amazon item. If UK VAT has already been paid on an item (order from Amazon), does that count towards the €22 Customs Value? (NB: this order is from before Amazon added the current "deposit fee" for Irish VAT).

The total fees An Post are attempting to rack up to deliver this to me are more than the NET value of the actual item.

The Money Guide Ireland article says, "No one should be asked to pay both UK VAT and Irish VAT" - but I don't see this explained anywhere on Revenue?

Item price excl. VAT: £12.49.
    Incl. UK VAT: £14.99 (i.e. what I paid on 21 Dec + free UK delivery).

AddressPal home delivery fee: +€6.50
    An Post customs VAT fee: +€5.29
    An Post customs admin fee: +€3.50

'Customs Value' quoted by An Post: €25.20

^^^ This seems incorrect even including the AddressPal €6.50 home delivery fee and UK VAT. (Should it include UK VAT?).

It's not clear to me either that the full €6.50 should count as 'Handling, transport and insurance' since Revenue's example itemises An Post / courier handling fees separately from customs value:

Go7TJYh.png

Also, it seems like they're calculating the VAT due based off the 'Customs Value' calculation (5.29 is 21% of 25.20) rather than the item itself - i.e. charging import VAT on their own home delivery fee?? (Postage paid to An Post is supposed to be VAT exempt, no?).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

scottigael wrote: »

I’d say there’s only about 10% of food items that I used to order available to me now, very frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Ric.ie wrote: »
    Got an AddressPal/Customs notice today for €5.29 due in VAT (plus admin fee) on an Amazon item. If UK VAT has already been paid on an item (order from Amazon), does that count towards the €22 Customs Value? (NB: this order is from before Amazon added the current "deposit fee" for Irish VAT).

The total fees An Post are attempting to rack up to deliver this to me are more than the NET value of the actual item.

The Money Guide Ireland article says, "No one should be asked to pay both UK VAT and Irish VAT" - but I don't see this explained anywhere on Revenue?

Item price excl. VAT: £12.49.
    Incl. UK VAT: £14.99 (i.e. what I paid on 21 Dec + free UK delivery).

AddressPal home delivery fee: +€6.50
    An Post customs VAT fee: +€5.29
    An Post customs admin fee: +€3.50

'Customs Value' quoted by An Post: €25.20

^^^ This seems incorrect even including the AddressPal €6.50 home delivery fee and UK VAT. (Should it include UK VAT?).

It's not clear to me either that the full €6.50 should count as 'Handling, transport and insurance' since Revenue's example itemises An Post / courier handling fees separately from customs value:

Go7TJYh.png

Also, it seems like they're calculating the VAT due based off the 'Customs Value' calculation (5.29 is 21% of 25.20) rather than the item itself - i.e. charging import VAT on their own home delivery fee?? (Postage paid to An Post is supposed to be VAT exempt, no?).

VAT is calculated on the item cost plus all shipping costs

Also - I had pretty much the exact same issue (read back a few pages) and people said that although I have Amazon Prime, An Post estimate the cost of shipping within the UK and add it (even though you do not pay shipping)

Ric.ie wrote: »

I think that quote means charges by retailers shipping goods to Ireland. They should not be charging both VATs.

Revenue don't care if you've paid UK VAT or not. If Irish VAT has not been paid - Revenue will want it paying.

Can someone tell me how this makes sense...

I've had around 10 orders over the last 3 weeks take an absolute age to dispatch and arrive. I cancelled Prime 2 days ago and made 2 orders, they just arrived... so Prime was actually a lot slower. Wtf. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭davetherave

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how this makes sense...

I've had around 10 orders over the last 3 weeks take an absolute age to dispatch and arrive. I cancelled Prime 2 days ago and made 2 orders, they just arrived... so Prime was actually a lot slower. Wtf. ��

Were they the same item, sold and dispatched by the same seller?

Two and three weeks ago there was a bit of trouble at the ports causing delays, you might have heard about it? Something about someone leaving a Customs union?

Prime shows every delivery 1st February for me.

Were they the same item, sold and dispatched by the same seller?

Two and three weeks ago there was a bit of trouble at the ports causing delays, you might have heard about it? Something about someone leaving a Customs union?

I only buy off Amazon themselves. Mostly records and toys. All in stock when ordered.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Prime shows every delivery 1st February for me.

Same until I cancelled Prime and now its back to before Brevit. Dispatched the day of order and arriving 2-3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭breeno

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Same until I cancelled Prime and now its back to before Brevit. Dispatched the day of order and arriving 2-3 days later.

To an Irish address or NI? I've tried prime and non prime accounts today and the earliest date offered is 30/01

breeno wrote: »
    To an Irish address or NI? I've tried prime and non prime accounts today and the earliest date offered is 30/01

Irish address. Prime added zero benefits after Brexit happened. For me anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Ric.ie

deadl0ck wrote: »
    VAT is calculated on the item cost plus all shipping costs

Also - I had pretty much the exact same issue (read back a few pages) and people said that although I have Amazon Prime, An Post estimate the cost of shipping within the UK and add it (even though you do not pay shipping)

I saw! It still doesn't make sense to me though. From reading the Revenue website, An Post postage fees seem to be VAT exempt.
    If postage is charged separately and paid entirely to An Post, then these charges are not subject to VAT.

If An Post are incurring VAT on their own shipping fees and I need to pay for it, then they should be issuing an invoice with a VAT number & itemisation, their €6.50 price home delivery fee should be advertised as VAT exclusive, etc.

Added, even if they were somehow counting Amazon's discounted "free delivery fee" -- according to my invoice, that only amounts to £0.90).

Ogham wrote: »
    I think that quote means charges by retailers shipping goods to Ireland. They should not be charging both VATs.

Revenue don't care if you've paid UK VAT or not. If Irish VAT has not been paid - Revenue will want it paying.

Yeah, this is probably why Revenue/An Post don't seem to discuss this in any of their articles.

If it's true though: it shipped on 21 Dec and arrived in their hub on 24 Dec - while the single market/VAT rules were still in effect (i.e. before Amazon updated their checkout process).

Advertisement