Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Demonique wrote: »
    Two packages arrived today

One contained the Joe Wicks book and Jurassic Park funko pop that were scheduled to arrive on Feb 3rd

The other contained the robun feeder that was due to arrive on Feb 4th, I ordered it on Friday so instead it arrived in two working days, is this a sign that amazon prime is returning to normal?

Not just Prime, regular orders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irishneo

ordered a ps4 game on Sunday from amazon.co.uk, which said delivery on the 4th of February, it is now in Dublin and for delivery by An Post tomorrow morning.
    I think there giving long delivery dates in case it gets stuck in customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭migrant

This thread has become strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭boardtc

migrant wrote: »
    This thread has become strange.
    It's a maze, 15 minutes later I still do not have a clue, post #977 is not relevant, can someone direct me please to a summary of the status?

I haven't used Amazon since brexit. Aside from shopping delays, If I push it over €25 for free postage then that's over €22 for customs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its post number 986 now, there must have been some deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

boardtc wrote: »
    It's a maze, 15 minutes later I still do not have a clue, post #977 is not relevant, can someone direct me please to a summary of the status?

I haven't used Amazon since brexit. Aside from shopping delays, If I push it over €25 for free postage then that's over €22 for customs?

You need Prime to make it work - sign up for 30 days free trial and pile in the orders.

If you have used the free option simply set up another Amazon account with a new email address and when you check out on 1st purchase you'll be offered the free Prime trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

dubmick wrote: »
    More madness. Ordered from .co.uk for delivery to Ireland. It was dispatched from the UK and is now in Belgium!

Sunday, 24 January Completed customs clearance process
    Mouscron, BE
    10:34 AM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Mouscron, BE
    10:31 AM
    Package departed an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Kent GB
    Friday, 22 January
    1:54 PM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Rochester, Medway GB
    Package has shipped

An item I ordered is going on a similar world trip:

Wednesday, 27 January
    5:34 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    5:23 AM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Irlam, Manchester
    3:24 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    3:22 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    3:18 AM
    Saint Helens, Merseyside GB
    Tuesday, 26 January
    8:51 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    5:25 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    5:21 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    3:44 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    3:31 AM
    3:29 AM
    1:53 AM
    Monday, 25 January
    Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Same here

Tuesday, 26 January
    11:13 AM
    Mouscron, BE
    Monday, 25 January
    2:15 AM
    Rochester, GB
    12:49 AM
    Rochester, GB
    Sunday, 24 January
    10:56 PM
    Rochester, Kent GB
    9:30 PM
    Rochester, Medway GB
    11:16 AM
    Rochester, Kent GB
    Saturday, 23 January
    3:56 PM
    Rochester, Medway GB
    Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

spegnor87 wrote: »
    I purchased some sports good from Amazon a few weeks ago using AddressPal from An Post and after it taking an absolute age to reach the An Post courier I'm now being stung by An Post for customs fees. Their website is giving me either the option to pay or 'choose not to pay customs charge'? I had thought that goods produced in the UK wouldn't be liable for customs charges post Brexit? What are my options here?

Irish VAT is due rather than duty. By sending to a UK address first you'll pay UK and Irish VAT plus a handling charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

How Brexit affects online buying Update 20th January
    ^^^ @spegnor87 Order directly to your address from amazon.co.uk ! Don't use AP !!!

Pay the VAT/duties on checkout, which depending on seller should have UK Vat removed first.

Also read: - Is it worth it to shop from amazon.de (or elsewhere) instead of uk?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply. Though An Post are specifically asking me whether or not I want to pay the customs charge it's actually a VAT charge? I'm guessing if I select not to pay the goods won't be delivered? Pretty miffed off as I've already paid the AddressPal shipping fee and nothing about these charges was mentioned in the Brexit section of their website. So what are my options going forward when purchasing from Amazon etc. to avoid incurring these costs?

Send it direct to your home address. I don't use prime and most things are free delivery any way.

If you don't pay the vat you don't get the goods.

It's kind of obvious that the seller thinks they're shipping within the UK so will charge UK vat. Ant carrier than taking the goods to Ireland will be hit with Irish Vat.
    The Addresspal site states
    With Brexit coming into effect on January 1st 2021, items coming from the UK will be subject to Irish Revenue inspection. If Irish Revenue applies a customs and/or VAT charge to your AddressPal item you will be notified of the charge and the steps required to pay this charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Didn't have that option unfortunately as it only posts to the UK :(

If it doesn't have a battery. See if the same item/alternative is available from EU amazon sites (.de/.es/.it etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Can you get foodstuffs that previously shipped here to address pal plus all their charges etc or is it forbidden because I don't see anything on their website about it

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Had ordered 2 Nintendo Switch Lite cases on 30th Dec, arrived on 7th Jan, no extra charges, total cost £15.97 (no VAT shown). I live in West Cork so delivery is still by An Post, no white vans here!

I've had 4 parcels with the "Mouscron, BE" tracking. One of them initiated tracking in Mouscron on the 21st. Then there was no more updates until the 27th when tracking then said it was being sent back to Amazon as they couldn't locate my address.

The other three parcels initiated customs in Mouscron on the 23th, 24th and 26th and there has been no update on any of them since then. I'm worried they'll also end up being sent back to Amazon.

I've had other parcels dispatched and delivered from Amazon in between and at a much faster pace to the same address, only difference was they only cleared customs in the UK and not the UK + Mouscron.

I'm aware that the packages likely never actually go to Mouscron, but I'm wondering if there is some difference in how they're clearing customs in Mouscron which is causing an issue with my address. I see from previous posts that other people have cleared customs in Mouscron without issue so this is likely a distinct problem for me. My address is however a typical address in a large city with an Eircode included etc.

I'll never know I guess. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I ordered some headphones on Monday and they were dispatched yesterday - hopefully they are getting back to normal....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I ordered some headphones on Monday and they were dispatched yesterday - hopefully they are getting back to normal....

Yeah, a couple of things I was looking at yesterday were offering delivery next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ordered an item this morning, delivery estimate is Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Things definitely starting to improve thankfully. Got all my orders today, ordered Saturday/Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭robwen

Guy on RTE radio around an hour ago said Amazon are close to signing a deal for a fulfilment center in Ireland according to Bloomberg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

robwen wrote: »
    Guy on RTE radio around an hour ago said Amazon are close to signing a deal for a fulfilment center in Ireland according to Bloomberg

It was in the Irish Times yesterday
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/irish-amazon-customers-to-bypass-brexit-barriers-as-it-plans-local-fulfilment-centre-1.4470470?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Amazon.ie would likely follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Article in the Irish times today regarding Amazon opening a fulfilment warehouse:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/irish-amazon-customers-to-bypass-brexit-barriers-as-it-plans-dublin-distribution-centre-1.4470470

Edit: oops this was posted yesterday. Appeared in print today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Doodah7 wrote:
    Amazon.ie would likely follow?
    No.

The smallest Amazon marketplace is amazon.se.

That's a 10M market, also likely serving Norway and Finland which are 10M combined so 20M market in total.

Then there's amazon.nl which is 15M market + 5M from the Flemish I guess. So again 20M market.

Ireland is only 5M with no neighbouring markets. Unlikely to be viable for Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

McGiver wrote: »
    No.

The smallest Amazon marketplace is amazon.se.

That's a 10M market, also likely serving Norway and Finland which are 10M combined so 20M market in total.

Then there's amazon.nl which is 15M market + 5M from the Flemish I guess. So again 20M market.

Ireland is only 5M with no neighbouring markets. Unlikely to be viable for Amazon.

+ NI 1.8 Million?

schmoo2k wrote: »
    + NI 1.8 Million?

UK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Can I order from sports direct without vat charges etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Can I order from sports direct without vat charges etc?

I ordered form them and some time later I contacted them about dispatch times. For like 5 days they kept claiming I didn't have an order with them at all - despite the fact they did send me a confirmation email right after the purchase. I got fed up and ordered from somewhere else.

I still have a pre-authorization in PayPal for SportsDirect - since 3+ weeks now - that I can't cancel. It's supposed to go away by itself at some point. I'm hoping it will...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    UK!!

What would the rules be for someone in NI shopping from Amazon.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Five days now since I ordered my new teapot, still no sign of it dispatching. Prime too.

Advertisement