Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

As an aside I ordered an item from amazon.com that left Kentucky on Monday and which arrived today via Cologne in Germany. Quite impressive in itself but even more so since An Post got it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Ok but are they registered for Irish Vat does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭davetherave

At a quick test, and you'd probably want to confirm with the retailer directly, but:

I went onto the Irish subsite and the UK subsite.
    I added the same product to the cart
    The item price was the same regardless of if the shipping address was being sent to Dublin, or London.

So, you would expect a small rise (1%, the difference between UK standard rate and Irelands standard Rate) if they were collecting vat for Revenue instead of for Her Majesties Revenue & Customs directly at the point of sale, OR a deduction of 20% if UK vat was being removed as the goods are leaving the United Kingdom and they are not dealing with Revenue.

Neither of those appear to be happening.

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Ok but are they registered for Irish Vat does anyone know?

Yes.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058148605

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

At a quick test, and you'd probably want to confirm with the retailer directly, but:

I went onto the Irish subsite and the UK subsite.
    I added the same product to the cart
    The item price was the same regardless of if the shipping address was being sent to Dublin, or London.

So, you would expect a small rise (1%, the difference between UK standard rate and Irelands standard Rate) if they were collecting vat for Revenue instead of for Her Majesties Revenue & Customs directly at the point of sale, OR a deduction of 20% if UK vat was being removed as the goods are leaving the United Kingdom and they are not dealing with Revenue.

Neither of those appear to be happening.

Presume you mean US and UK sites right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, somehow someone thought this was the thread to ask about Sports Direct. It isn't. Back to Amazon please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Doodah7 wrote:
    Amazon.ie would likely follow?

I doubt that. I think the reason they don't have a web portal for us directly, is that it would change their tax liability here.

It's a guess, but it makes sense in my head. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Heebie wrote: »
    I doubt that. I think the reason they don't have a web portal for us directly, is that it would change their tax liability here.

It's a guess, but it makes sense in my head. ;)

Why would hat be?

Plenty of websites have a .ie with no presence in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Why would hat be?

Plenty of websites have a .ie with no presence in Ireland.

Yep, anyone can buy and trade from a .ie address....doesn't make it 'irish'

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Ordered 2 items this morning from UK site @09:37, they were dispatched same day @ 14:16.
    Prime member

Let's see how long it takes to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

xboxdad wrote: »

Suggests still the .co.uk site
    Irish Amazon customers may get many of their orders delivered even faster

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I'm perfectly happy with that if it delivers as fast and painless as before Brexit.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Reckon so but lets not give DublinLive any credit here. They wouldn’t have a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Delivery today of item ordered Wednesday evening, that's the fastest I've seen since Brexit. Mind you an order I placed on 11 January hasn't even dispatched yet.

Had a search of all the European sites last night looking for a particular smart watch (Honor band 5). Spain was the most expensive including delivery (by about €5), followed by Italy. There was less than a euro between France and Germany but delivery from Germany was a week faster. The German price including delivery is within a few cents of the UK price.

Item ordered lunchtime Thursday just delivered. We’re on the way back to normal lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

dubmick wrote: »
    Item ordered lunchtime Thursday just delivered. We’re on the way back to normal lads!

Totally depends where it's coming from. I have stuff delivered in 2 days and in 2 weeks still. And I am sure it will stay like this for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Wonder if there will be amazon.ie with its own prime membership ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

dubmick wrote: »

Not one of the 6 orders I have placed since the 10th of January has dispatched yet.

Recruitment for the new fulfillment centre.

https://www.amazon.jobs/en-gb/jobs/1312624/operations-manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Can I order from sports direct without vat charges etc?

i ordered 50€ worth of stuff from them last week and i wasn't charged anything extra

So can I ask ye folks, i know the rules about €22 and €150 and all that, but what is actually happening in real-life? Are people getting hit with extra fees at all?

(I appreciate slow postage is an issue, but more interested in seeing are fees actually being applied in practice)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

So can I ask ye folks, i know the rules about €22 and €150 and all that, but what is actually happening in real-life? Are people getting hit with extra fees at all?

(I appreciate slow postage is an issue, but more interested in seeing are fees actually being applied in practice)

I have made two sub-€150 orders since New Year - both have arrived ahead of quoted schedule and without any additional fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I order two items well over €150 and got nothing extra added.

Ordered a toy on Thursday, was due to be delivered next Wednesday....suddenly it is out for delivery today :)

Delivery by Amazon

Sunday, 31 January

10:45 AM

Out for delivery

Dublin, IE

5:07 AM

Package arrived at the final delivery station

Dublin, IE

Saturday, 30 January

8:46 AM

Completed customs clearance process

Irlam, Manchester

6:27 AM

Irlam, Manchester

6:26 AM

Initiated customs clearance process

Irlam, Manchester

6:24 AM

Irlam, Manchester

4:00 AM

Initiated customs clearance process

Irlam, Manchester

Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I ordered a teapot and was charged a fiver in customs on a 25 quid item.

Had an item in the basket for 18 sterling and it has 6 in import charges. Not sure what that is or why.

On an item dispatched by Amazon delivered directly to a ROI address? Odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Had an item in the basket for 18 sterling and it has 6 in import charges. Not sure what that is or why.

Was it 18 including delivery (incl discounted delivery )

Advertisement