Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

On an item dispatched by Amazon delivered directly to a ROI address? Odd

It is odd. Can't really understand charges on items so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Was it 18 including delivery (incl discounted delivery )

14 Gbp . 6 Gbp delivery
    Charge. 4.43. Import.

Or euro 16.58. Post 6.81. Import 4.93

Slightly off what i originally said was working from memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

14 Gbp . 6 Gbp delivery
    Charge. 4.43. Import.

Just VAT !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

14 Gbp . 6 Gbp delivery
    Charge. 4.43. Import.

Slightly???

That's just VAT now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

I haven't ordered anything from there yet since Brexit came into play but I have a voucher for Amazon UK so I said I'd check what the story is.
    I assume there's a 23% vat tacked onto the listed price?
    I heard that you could be charged again to receive your package by the postman? (the person who told me this wasn't sure but was under the impression this could be the case)

Any info is appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

I haven't ordered anything from there yet since Brexit came into play but I have a voucher for Amazon UK so I said I'd check what the story is.
    I heard that you could be charged again to receive your package by the postman? (the person who told me this wasn't sure but was under the impression this could be the case)

Amazon will add any vat and duty due at checkout so you won't be charged a second time. At the moment items under €22 have the U.K vat removed at checkout making the item vat free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Two posts down there is a whole thread dedicated to the same question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merged

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Post 986 explains it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

So can I ask ye folks, i know the rules about €22 and €150 and all that, but what is actually happening in real-life? Are people getting hit with extra fees at all?

(I appreciate slow postage is an issue, but more interested in seeing are fees actually being applied in practice)
    I get hit with fees on Amazon on any order total value over 22 euro. So I am placing separate orders now to keep value below that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ordered on Thursday with Prime, delivered yesterday (Sunday!) by Amazon - even got a notification on the app with a little map showing the progress of the van towards my house. Can't complain about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

ordered Saturday, delivered today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭NATLOR

boardtc wrote:
    It's a maze, 15 minutes later I still do not have a clue, post #977 is not relevant, can someone direct me please to a summary of the status.
    I haven't used Amazon since brexit. Aside from shopping delays, If I push it over €25 for free postage then that's over €22 for customs?

It's not customs it's VAT. Put an item in your basket, go to checkout and it will reduce by 20% thats the UK VAT being taken off then the Irish VAT 21% will be added increasing the inital price by 1% Amazon have always charged Irish vat prices it's just showing up differently now. This is the case for all items sold directly by Amazon and are under €150, over this amount can incur customs charges depending on the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

6 books (second hand mind you) ordered on 21/01. 5 delivered today. Not bad - in line with previous orders before B-day

Have 2 game pre-orders for February- will be interesting to see how they get delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 35 IliveinCork

gogo wrote: »
    Two posts down there is a whole thread dedicated to the same question.

I'm not the best at navigating this forum tbh. :D
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Post 986 explains it all.

Thank you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

This item is dispatched from and sold by Amazon EU, but they cannot ship to my location- ROI. There was a time when amazon was my first choice for purchases, but there are too many products that won't ship here now, and half the time it is stuff like this, from Amazon themselves, and amazon eu at that!!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bop-Star-Wars-Mandalorian-Electronic/dp/B088CBMFL2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B088CBMFL2&qid=1612208376&sr=8-1

chasm wrote: »
    This item is dispatched from and sold by Amazon EU, but they cannot ship to my location- ROI. There was a time when amazon was my first choice for purchases, but there are too many products that won't ship here now, and half the time it is stuff like this, from Amazon themselves, and amazon eu at that!!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bop-Star-Wars-Mandalorian-Electronic/dp/B088CBMFL2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B088CBMFL2&qid=1612208376&sr=8-1

I'm open to correction but I don't think that has anything to do with Brexit, I'm pretty sure most if not all items sold by that "seller" never shipped to Ireland. I think it's basically just showing things that UK customers can buy from Amazon.de but through Amazon.co.uk, whereas Irish customers seemingly have to buy direct from Amazon.de.

Here is your item by the by. € 21.99+ € 7.87 shipping

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Bop-Star-Wars-Mandalorian-Electronic/dp/B088CBMFL2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bop+it%21+star+wars+mandalorian+das+kind+edition+spiel&qid=1612209262&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 monkerhostin11

If you don't have prime , but still get free shipping, as the order is over 25 - how do you avoid getting charged vat on shipping cost. The way Amazon work it , they add on the shipping charge of 6 and then deduct it further down , however the vat is calculated on the cost including shipping, so end up paying vat for a shipping charge that shouldn't exist.
    So while cost should be the same as before Brexit, as Amazon charged Irish vat before - now you are paying an extra amount for vat on shipping.

If you don't have prime , but still get free shipping, as the order is over 25 - how do you avoid getting charged vat on shipping cost. The way Amazon work it , they add on the shipping charge of 6 and then deduct it further down , however the vat is calculated on the cost including shipping, so end up paying vat for a shipping charge that shouldn't exist.
    So while cost should be the same as before Brexit, as Amazon charged Irish vat before - now you are paying an extra amount for vat on shipping.

You can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

You can't.

Either way you'll pay, pay for prime to have no VAT or pay the VAT.

• Advertisement

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Either way you'll pay, pay for prime to have no VAT or pay the VAT.

No prime + shipping can still be under the €22 threshold, just not in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

Hi, could someone help me to understand why VAT is not removed on final checkout page for this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F39N9KS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2WP8SEYW3ZIL7&psc=1

I have asked Customer Support, but they say that under 22 Euro rule is only for items fulfilled and sold by Amazon. It is not true, I bought items from third party sellers and VAT is removed when the price is less then 22 euro.
    I think it is either an error on the product page (price should be higher) or VAT is not calculated properly?

sandra_b wrote: »
    Hi, could someone help me to understand why VAT is not removed on final checkout page for this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F39N9KS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2WP8SEYW3ZIL7&psc=1

Because there is not VAT to be removed, it is VAT exempt in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Dublinandy3

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    What is going on...

Wednesday, 20 January
    8:05 AM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Irlam, Manchester
    7:55 AM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Irlam, Manchester
    7:08 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    6:46 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    6:44 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    6:42 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    4:20 AM
    Irlam, Manchester
    Package has shipped

Did this particular one arrive? I had the same from the day before yours and it never got here, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 walmon1977

Item ordered from Amazon on Friday last week. Just arrived today (Tuesday lunchtime) in Co. Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

chasm wrote: »

Try
    https://www.amazon.de/Bop-Star-Wars-Mandalorian-Electronic/dp/B088CBMFL2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?currency=EUR&dchild=1&keywords=B088CBMFL2&qid=1612208376&sr=8-1

Appears the same price and ships to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Order due today, hasn't even dispatched yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

I had a package ship from Rochester, Medway GB -> Mouscron, BE -> Dublin, IE

Guess they are finding alternative ways to ship products out from UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

drogon. wrote: »
    I had a package ship from Rochester, Medway GB -> Mouscron, BE -> Dublin, IE

Guess they are finding alternative ways to ship products out from UK

It was mentioned somewhere earlier on that Amazon use a customs broker based in Belgium to process their goods through customs - but it is all done electronically - the goods don't actually go there.

Advertisement