Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

drogon. wrote: »
    I had a package ship from Rochester, Medway GB -> Mouscron, BE -> Dublin, IE

Guess they are finding alternative ways to ship products out from UK

Why go through Belgium to get to Ireland? What would be easier about that? Doesn't make sense. It would have to cross the sea twice, instead of once, plus it would add 1000 kilometers of transport and ferry charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Poncke wrote: »
    Why go through Belgium to get to Ireland? What would be easier about that? Doesn't make sense. It would have to cross the sea twice, instead of once, plus it would add 1000 kilometers of transport and ferry charges.

It doesn't, they're just using a customs agent in Belgium. The package doesn't go there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but is Prime still worth having in regards to deals and postage etc?

It doesn't, they're just using a customs agent in Belgium. The package doesn't go there

Yes, I never thought it would go to Belgium

markc1184 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but is Prime still worth having in regards to deals and postage etc?

For me it is, it is not just free shipping, it is also faster shipping, and Prime Video, which on it's own is worth the £79 per year.

But even after Brexit there is a lot of value in Prime. Not much changed in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So my last order dispatched fairly quickly, but now it's AN Post that are taking the mickey:
    02 February 2021 03:20

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

02 February 2021 02:35

We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

01 February 2021 16:05

01 February 2021 16:01

29 January 2021 02:26

29 January 2021 02:06

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think for the first time ever Amazon have despatched 2 separate orders in the one shipment to me. As they're delivering it it might they may be sorting themselves out a bit better when it comes to logistics. Even before Christmas I've had 2 different orders delivered by them, by 2 different drivers within an hour of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

For me it is, it is not just free shipping, it is also faster shipping, and Prime Video, which on it's own is worth the £79 per year.

But even after Brexit there is a lot of value in Prime. Not much changed in my experience.

I dropped my prime membership - I'm still not sure it is worthwhile since Brexit.

I was reading these Amazon Brexit threads and somebody mentioned hagglezon.com for shopping across Amazon countries. It's worth a look. Obviously depends on the item you are looking for but I've saved quite a bit so far avoiding the UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I have an order that hasn't shipped yet and the carrier is listed as "AMAIE". This'd suggest, along with the new fulfilment center in Baldonnell that they really are beefing up their Irish presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Expanse makes it all worth it tbh. Fabulous TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

An order that shipped on the 2nd of Feb is currently out for delivery today, didn't involve customs clearance in BE. An order that shipped on Monday the 1st and "Completed customs clearance process Mouscron, BE) on the 2nd has had no updates since then. Both Prime, the one arriving today is An Post, the other is Amazon. Not sure how you know what will be cleared where.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mouscron (BE) to Rochester (GB) and back again. There have been no further updates, but the package is allegedly out for delivery today. The other items from the order were delivered Friday and Saturday.

542026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

More than back to normal . I don't have prime but ordered two books and some light bulbs 10pm 3rd February and they arrived with An Post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭limabromac

Hi there. My apologies if this has already been questioned but I am wondering something about import fees and Amazon...

On Monday I ordered a set of lights from amazon.uk with my prime delivery.... I was charged import fees as required...however these lights then started their delivery process about an hour from a holding centre in swords in Dublin... Then the next day they were delivered to me down the country....

Should I have been charged import duties on an item sitting in Dublin coming down the country ....they didn't process through the uk holding sites for example merseyside of fife etc...they came from dublin in swords...the package tracking said swords, completed customs in swords, and delivered to destination...

Just a genuine question and my apologies if it's already been asked...

2:51 AM
    Package arrived at the final delivery station
    Dublin, IE
    Monday, 8 February
    11:03 AM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    Dublin, Swords
    7:34 AM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Dublin, Swords
    5:20 AM
    Dublin, Swords
    Package has shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭davetherave

limabromac wrote: »
    Hi there. My apologies if this has already been questioned but I am wondering something about import fees and Amazon...

On Monday I ordered a set of lights from amazon.uk with my prime delivery.... I was charged import fees as required...however these lights then started their delivery process about an hour from a holding centre in swords in Dublin... Then the next day they were delivered to me down the country....

Should I have been charged import duties on an item sitting in Dublin coming down the country ....they didn't process through the uk holding sites for example merseyside of fife etc...they came from dublin in swords...the package tracking said swords, completed customs in swords, and delivered to destination...

Just a genuine question and my apologies if it's already been asked...

2:51 AM
    Package arrived at the final delivery station
    Dublin, IE
    Monday, 8 February
    11:03 AM
    Dublin, Swords
    7:34 AM
    Completed customs clearance process
    Dublin, Swords
    5:20 AM
    Dublin, Swords
    Package has shipped

You are not being charged import duties, you are being charged VAT at the appropriate Irish Rate.
    If you multiply the item total by 0.21 it should equal what is listed as the Import Fees Deposit.

Swords would just be an office that is processing the import/export customs paperwork, your package was never there.

If you still have the box there should be a sticker on it like MAN1 or EDI4 to see where it originated.

You are not being charged import duties, you are being charged VAT at the appropriate Irish Rate.
    If you multiply the item total by 0.21 it should equal what is listed as the Import Fees Deposit.

Swords would just be an office that is processing the import/export customs paperwork, your package was never there.

If you still have the box there should be a sticker on it like MAN1 or EDI4 to see where it originated.

Perfect.. thankyou for your response...I have the box but there is nothing on the box with stickers on it...plus I contacted Amazon who confirmed that it was sent from their new facility in Swords that is a warehouse for Amazon...I am thinking the representative got it worng that it actually came from the uk but it would suggest from the tracking that it also originated in Dublin as there was no tracking from the uk side...
    There is nothing to suggest that it passed throught the uk such as the sticker that would be normally on an imported item....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we got an Amazon delivery at 7pm on Sunday evening! ("Delivered by Amazon")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

limabromac wrote: »
    Perfect.. thankyou for your response...I have the box but there is nothing on the box with stickers on it

They're at the bottom left of the label.

VG31 wrote: »
    They're at the bottom left of the label.

Thanks...nothing on the label either...
    I've received coffee from address pal in hatfield and yes I can see the stickers or the extra green or red label they place on packages sent and I can see also the tracking origin from the uk...but nothing on this package except the box and it's normal amazon prime indications...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

loyatemu wrote: »
    we got an Amazon delivery at 7pm on Sunday evening! ("Delivered by Amazon")

8am to 9pm 7 days a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Two items I ordered on Amazon (£17 and £18) have been shipped together.

So guessing I'll be due to pay VAT on arrival. What's An Post's handling fee these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Basq wrote: »
    Two items I ordered on Amazon (£17 and £18) have been shipped together.

So guessing I'll be due to pay VAT on arrival. What's An Post's handling fee these days?

Did you order them separately or in one order?
    I did three orders each under 22 euro a few weeks ago but they arrived in one box without any extra charges. This is because Amazon deals with the VAT and customs directly in their basket price and so their deliveries should not be normally subject to further customs checks.

Also as An Post have Amazon as a delivery partner, they aren't going to process their packages for vat and duty

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Did you order them separately or in one order?
    I did three orders each under 22 euro a few weeks ago but they arrived in one box without any extra charges. This is because Amazon deals with the VAT and customs directly in their basket price and so their deliveries should not be normally subject to further customs checks.

Also as An Post have Amazon as a delivery partner, they aren't going to process their packages for vat and duty
    Interesting. They were seperate orders.. I did see people indicating changing shipping address "slightly" on each order under £22 so Amazon wouldn't ship together so we could avoid this scenario entirely (albeit causing far more recycling in the meantime!).

Basq wrote: »
    Interesting. They were seperate orders.. I did see people indicating changing shipping address "slightly" on each order under £22 so Amazon wouldn't ship together so we could avoid this scenario entirely (albeit causing far more recycling in the meantime!).

There's no need to do that. It's just unnecessary waste. I've had lots of orders under €22 that were shipped with other orders so the total was over €22 and I haven't been charged any fees. Amazon Logistics wouldn't even be equipped to collect customs charges. An Post obviously are but no one has reported extra charges.

Bizarrely it seems that sellotape, packaging tape etc sold by Amazon will no longer ship here. Most things I can't reorder are food items but this makes no sense whatsoever.

I've never seen Amazon deliveries so fast. Another order made after 9 on Tuesday night. Shipped from Manchester and received here with the postman this morning. I don't have prime but it was free postage.

Bizarrely it seems that sellotape, packaging tape etc sold by Amazon will no longer ship here. Most things I can't reorder are food items but this makes no sense whatsoever.

Are they fulfilled by Amazon? I've go some recently with no problem. Although some sellers didn't send here, those fulfilled by Amazon were fine.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Are they fulfilled by Amazon? I've go some recently with no problem. Although some sellers didn't send here, those fulfilled by Amazon were fine.

They're sold directly by Amazon.

Here's some I bought before that will no longer ship here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sellotape-Original-Golden-adhesive-Applies/dp/B004JM68BU/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P8TVFIO/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y8W54C/ (different type of tape!)

I see that. Very strange and very hit or miss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

1st and 3rd ship to Ireland, but astronomical shipping - none sold by Amazon
    2nd is out of stock.

Advertisement