Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

Forget it, seems its commonly applied pre-discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

xboxdad wrote: »
    I get items delivered within 3 days from ordering nowadays. It's getting back to normal it seems.

Yes - I had 3 different orders below £20 and all of them delivered in less than 4 days, one coming in the 3rd day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

I recently noticed that most grocery items (juices, chocolates etc) no longer ship to Ireland. Does anybody knows why this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Food standards documentation that the sellers won't have or be viable to produce.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

L1011 wrote: »
    Food standards documentation that the sellers won't have or be viable to produce.

I thought that too but if you use Lindt as an example, some products can be shipped here but not others. All sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

Also something that could be shipped last week now cant be. Maybe the underlying supplier to Amazon cant be bothered with the paperwork? Lindt could come from different suppliers i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought that too but if you use Lindt as an example, some products can be shipped here but not others. All sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

Also something that could be shipped last week now cant be. Maybe the underlying supplier to Amazon cant be bothered with the paperwork? Lindt could come from different suppliers i guess

It'll depend on each item. Also some of the stuff that is sent probably shouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

I bought some Lindt mini eggs and gold bunnies a few days ago (sold by Amazon). They won't ship here now, it was probably an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm looking at ordering a phone for £170, the checkout is coming to a total for around £200 as there are Import fees of £33. This is my first purchase since the brexit changes..... is that import fee figure refunded or is it the actual final figure I will pay?

Guy on Amazon chat is advising the fees are refunded 180 days after purchase....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

WTF so Amazon EU can't ship to Ireland... makes sense. Your one on chat told me only UK mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭SourSessions

SMC92Ian wrote:
    WTF so Amazon EU can't ship to Ireland... makes sense. Your one on chat told me only UK mainland.

I bought something from Amazon EU today... Might only be certain items that won't ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I'm looking at ordering a phone for £170, the checkout is coming to a total for around £200 as there are Import fees of £33. This is my first purchase since the brexit changes..... is that import fee figure refunded or is it the actual final figure I will pay?

Guy on Amazon chat is advising the fees are refunded 180 days after purchase....

The fees are a deposit, if no fees have to be paid or if some fees have to be paid, you get a refund or partial refund of the overpaid fees.

I know nothing about a 180 day waiting period.

SMC92Ian wrote: »

What is Amazon EU?

www.amazon.eu doesn't seem to be a shop front.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Poncke wrote: »
    The fees are a deposit, if no fees have to be paid or if some fees have to be paid, you get a refund or partial refund of the overpaid fees.

I know nothing about a 180 day waiting period.

The figures in the checkout do tally with what others have said here - Amazon remove total including the UK VAT rate and give you the price of the phone ex VAT, and then under "Import fees", add the Irish VAT rate to give you the total.

What I don't get is, if Amazon have agreed to collect VAT for our revenue, why is there a possibility of refunds? Wouldn't Irish customers be expected to pay the Irish VAT rate on UK purchases from now on....?

To clarify on the 180 day period - Amazon emailed me back to say that is the period of time it may take for Amazon themselves to issue a refund for the difference, if the actual import fee is less than what they charged you at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

The guy on Amazon doesn't know what he is talking about. The refund process is for any possible customs duties refunds. There is no customs duties charged for phones sold directly by Amazon the only price difference will be the extra couple of % for Irish VAT

What is Amazon EU?

www.amazon.eu doesn't seem to be a shop front.

It's for UK customers buying Amazon stock from the EU. Like with this item: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravensburger-Italy-500pc-Jigsaw-Puzzle/dp/B01N5JS4M3/

They won't ship here for some reason. Although you will find the same items on Amazon.de/fr/it etc.

The figures in the checkout do tally with what others have said here - Amazon remove total including the UK VAT rate and give you the price of the phone ex VAT, and then under "Import fees", add the Irish VAT rate to give you the total.

What I don't get is, if Amazon have agreed to collect VAT for our revenue, why is there a possibility of refunds? Wouldn't Irish customers be expected to pay the Irish VAT rate on UK purchases from now on....?

To clarify on the 180 day period - Amazon emailed me back to say that is the period of time it may take for Amazon themselves to issue a refund for the difference, if the actual import fee is less than what they charged you at checkout.

The collected fees are also duty fees, thats what I was referring to.

I am now starting to get a bunch of partial refunds on the deposited fees for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

I am now starting to get a bunch of partial refunds on the deposited fees for customs.

Yup. Same here. So far 3 refunds for slightly over 1 GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I'm navigating around it with a good few smaller items that come under the €22 limit. Will be a pain when this changes in July.
    Any truth to the reports that we'll be getting an Amazon Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I'm navigating around it with a good few smaller items that come under the €22 limit. Will be a pain when this changes in July.

• Advertisement

How will it be a pain? It'll just go back to how it was before. VAT free purchases under €22 is a temporary bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I couldn't be bothered trying to keep below €22. I need them, I buy them.

It's no big deal in July, you just Pay Irish VAT as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

VG31 wrote: »
    How will it be a pain? It'll just go back to how it was before. VAT free purchases under €22 is a temporary bonus.

I’ll miss the savings ! Even though it was temporary It’s been very handy . It’ll be like going back to work after Christmas. You know it’s coming but that doesn’t make it any more fun

Haven't ordered anything for a good while from Amazon.

Garden lights ordered on Friday morning, delivered today. A new record for us, i think

Parcel Motel orders would take longer than this

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

og2k7 wrote: »
    Haven't ordered anything for a good while from Amazon.

Garden lights ordered on Friday morning, delivered today. A new record for us, i think

Parcel Motel orders would take longer than this

Thought PM were not delivering stuff. Haven't set up their "New" virtual address yet, no?

septictank wrote: »
    [/B]

Thought PM were not delivering stuff. Haven't set up their "New" virtual address yet, no?

There was an update in the last two weeks and the update was : "there is no update"

I used PM (we are talking before Brexit) and it worked so well i use it as a benchmark now

Yesterday most delivery dates for me were 1 April. Now everything is 6 April. I'm in Dublin so it's not An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Yesterday most delivery dates for me were 1 April. Now everything is 6 April. I'm in Dublin so it's not An Post.

8th for me.

Yep, noticed this too, but Friday (some places) and Monday are bank holidays, and Sunday is Easter, that's 3 days less for deliveries, so that's probably why.

• Advertisement

The package that was supposed to be delivered by the 6th of April is being delivered today. Which sucks because its a birthday present. I get it that is technically correct, but surely if you say by 6th of April, it wont be delivered on the 1st. :D

Advertisement