Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

over 22 euro for vat
    over 150 euro for duty + vat

if those rules come into effect

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

The Haven wrote: »
    over 22 euro for vat
    over 150 euro for duty + vat

if those rules come into effect

So there will be customs duty, and tarrifs; which is the opposite that was being said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

So there will be customs duty, and tarrifs; which is the opposite that was being said earlier.

No duty on any goods.

VAT must be paid when goods enter the EU.
    Some larger retailers will register for VAT in Ireland and you will see no changes there when you order.

For other retailers you would have to contact them and ask for an invoice without VAT . You can then pay the VAT at the Irish rate when it enters the country.
    If a company can not invoice you VAT free then they possible don't have much interest in selling to EU countries.

harmless wrote: »
    No duty on any goods.

Some larger retailers will register for VAT in Ireland and you will see no changes there when you order.

For other retailers you would have to contact them and ask for an invoice without VAT . You can then pay the VAT at the Irish rate when it enters the country.
    If a company can not invoice you VAT free then they possible don't have much interest in selling to EU countries.

So ONLY the 21% Irish VAT, if I buy from a UK company and it passes through AddressPal?

Duty would imply I pay customs if it's worth over 150.

So ONLY the 21% Irish VAT, if I buy from a UK company and it passes through AddressPal?

Yes a single 21% VAT payment, if the company is either registered for VAT in Ireland or will invoice you VAT free.

The EU don't care if you have paid VAT in the UK or not, you shouldn't have to but not every company will invoice you without UK VAT added even though this should always be an option.

• Advertisement

Yes a single 21% VAT payment, if the company is either registered for VAT in Ireland or will invoice you VAT free.

The EU don't care if you have paid UK VAT or not, you shouldn't have to but not every company will invoice you without UK VAT added even though this should always be an option.

That's grand, as long as I don't get slapped silly on my delayed orders and have to pay more than 21% VAT.

They got rejected recently due to the locking of the UK borders, and now won't make it before January I think, and together is €650.

Would be horrible to pay Duty/Tariff if they just announced none of that.

That's grand, as long as I don't get slapped silly on my delayed orders and have to pay more than 21% VAT.

They got rejected recently due to the locking of the UK borders, and now won't make it before January I think, and together is €650.

Would be horrible to pay Duty/Tariff if they just announced none of that.

Were all the orders with Amazon or some other company that is registered for VAT in Ireland?

If any VAT was paid at 20% and not 21% it was probably collected for the UK and not Ireland/EU so VAT would still be due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

If U.K. vat was paid before jan 1 would the U.K. not have counted as an Eu state?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No duty on any goods.

Where you getting no duty from ? They're still a third country. Not inside the Single market or customs union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Also will we still need to pay the an post 10€ fee?

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Also will we still need to pay the an post 10€ fee?

Seems what I'm getting here is the announcement of no tarrifs and stuff for trade between UK and Ireland means nothing to us all.

Still gotta Pay VAT, Customs Duty, and yes AnPost €10 since they're handling and collecting VAT and customs fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ffs, maybe read a news site.

Or I'll put it in capitals

THERE WILL BE NO DUTIES ON REGULAR GOODS AS THERE IS A TARIFF (DUTY) FREE TRADE AGREEMENT.

Vat will apply under normal rules no matter what. The ONLY way vat would not apply is if the uk rejoined the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

So if you buy off a trusted retailer eh amazon who will collect IRL vat through their EU subsidiary, then it can ship from UK with no further charges?

listermint wrote: »
    Where you getting no duty from ? They're still a third country. Not inside the Single market or customs union.

I'm getting it from news sources and also other posters on here.

The UK and EU agree to a comprehensive trade deal today.

With the emphasis on comprehensive......

Darc19 wrote: »
    Ffs, maybe read a news site.

Or I'll put it in capitals

THERE WILL BE NO DUTIES ON REGULAR GOODS AS THERE IS A TARIFF (DUTY) FREE TRADE AGREEMENT.

Vat will apply under normal rules no matter what. The ONLY way vat would not apply is if the uk rejoined the single market.

TheDriver wrote: »
    So if you buy off a trusted retailer eh amazon who will collect IRL vat through their EU subsidiary, then it can ship from UK with no further charges?

Yes this is the case with any UK company that is VAT registered in Ireland.

You missed the important word

It's a "FREE trade deal" goods can move without tariffs or quotas between the uk and the EU.

It's the headline of every brexit deal story since this afternoon.

No tariffs, no quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    All my packages came 1-2 days. People going insane but AnPost has delivered all my packages before Christmas after having dates 28th and 3rd of Jan.

An Post to their credit have done a fantastic job in my experience. Everything I ordered was delivered as expected, including a laptop that was ordered from a guy in the Midlands on a Thursday night, posted Friday and delivered on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If the company are shipping more than 75k worth of sales to Ireland they are obliged to register for VAT here. So nothing for couriers to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I wonder if Parcel motel and Parcel Wizard will return? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can you link your news articles rather than being gormless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

For all the slagging the uk government guy in the Irish press, it sounds like they got exactly the deal they'd always wanted. I e. Freedom of movement of goods (in all but name) without freedom of movement of people.

I'd say a few other EU countries might try and get the same deal

listermint wrote: »
    Can you link your news articles rather than being gormless.

Have you been on any news sites today? Here's the one from the BBC, all you need to read is the headline.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55435930

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A free trade deal ....

But I heard a Fianna Fail guy Thomas something on the radio today explaining that if we order something from the UK, either through a UK site, or an Irish site, the Irish government will collect VAT on whatever arrives in the post (from Britain)!

Am I mistaken, maybe I picked him up wrong?

A free trade deal ....

But I heard a Fianna Fail guy Thomas something on the radio today explaining that if we order something from the UK, either through a UK site, or an Irish site, the Irish government will collect VAT on whatever arrives in the post (from Britain)!

No duty on any goods.

If a company can not invoice you VAT free then they possibly don't have much interest in selling to EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A free trade deal ....

VAT is payable on all goods entering Ireland , unless it had been paid in a different member state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The implication I got from the radio interview with Pat Kenny was that in future we'll all be ordering from non UK sites, as they will be far too expensive for the Irish consumer from the 1st Jan 2021.

Much talk of ordering most online stuff from Germany & France etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The implication I got from the radio interview with Pat Kenny was that in future we'll all be ordering from non UK sites, as they will be far too expensive for the Irish consumer from the 1st Jan 2021.

Much talk of ordering from Germany & France etc.

Well quite often I find the same products on the German and Spanish site for less than on the UK site anyway

ted1 wrote: »
    VAT is payable on all goods entering Ireland , unless it had been paid in a different member state.

Exactly and before the UK was one of the member states.
    UK business have the choice of registering to collect Irish VAT or have the option of not charging any VAT at the customers request and that customer can pay Irish VAT when it enters the country.

The last option is for companies who have no interest in selling outside the UK and they will insist on charging everyone UK VAT as they only have one VAT system in place as it requires less administration. This is the situation you will hear warnings about. At checkout if you see you are being charged UK VAT @ 20% you need to contact the company before ordering.

If you pay UK VAT(you really shouldn't) then of course you will be charged VAT again when it enters Ireland.

Edit: I believe this is what retailers who are not registered for VAT in Ireland will have to fill out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-tax-free-shopping-retailers-checklist-vat-407-notes

So there is some administration work there and then it comes down to if that work is worth it for the company to secure the sale.

Much talk of ordering most online stuff from Germany & France etc.

That was if there was no deal. Remember, pat Kenny is the radio version of the daily mail.

Full of hysterical bs.

Until this afternoon, no one knew what the outcome would be, so people like Kenny, daily mail etc will search for the worst case scenario.

The deal is simple.

VAT is due on goods over €22 from the UK. They should sell to you excluding UK vat, so theoretically there will be little difference in cost.

But there will be no customs duty/Tarriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Seems like happy days for Irish consumers, so long as UK stores update their systems goods they send here will be like an export so zero vat in UK but we'll have to pay Irish vat as usual. No clue if parcel motel and wizard will come back though between vat and extra custom's beaurucarcy may prevent them in the grey area they operated in.

Advertisement