Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preschool - didn't get space what now?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

****SCHOOL - JUNIOR INFANTS *****

Today got email my small man didn't get space on school I wanted him to be in he is 27th in the queue. So I daubt anyone will cancel he was put in expression of interest lost 2 years agoo.

Second preschool is letting me know week before Xmas. I'm so stressed out. Precious school had 72 places that are filled. So if he doesn't make this, what is my port of call?

I'll welcome any advice, or if anyone been in this position and eneded up getting place they wanted?

Stressed out mummy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

It happens, especially in areas where primary schools are oversubscribed or it’s the only decent school in a not so great area.

You will move up the list as many parents have their kids names down for multiple schools and that school may not be their first preference. We did the same, we moved up the list fairly rapidly and were eventually offered a place. We didn’t take it though as our child got offered a place in a school we really wanted him to attend (a miracle as we are not of that religion or live in the catchment area).

You can obviously appeal the school’s decision. Read their admissions policy and make sure they have followed it. Call the school once a week and ask if you have moved up and by how many places. You should probably also start searching for an alternative school. Going down the fee paying route for primary wouldn’t be for me but if we had been desperate we would have had to do it.

If you child will have only just turned 4 before starting school, you could hold them back for a year.

Its common for parents to register in multiple schools, so as the previous poster said dont be too disheartened, a place may become available. Dont give up hope.

What age is your child in Sept? Could you enrol next year if the school kept you a place then? Maybe not work for you, just things to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Is it an age thing? I know my sons school goes off a waiting list, but does give priority to older kids too (I don’t know exactly how they work it). The ones with feb/March/April birthdays only seem to be offered a place when they’ve worked down through the kids who turn 5 before Christmas.

Advertisement