Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butcher's doing prepared Turkey/Ham?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any butchers around the city doing prepared Turkey and Ham? A variation of.. a turkey crown - or rolled and boned.. cooked would be even better ekk..or something that can be just chucked into the oven? (just 2 of us - stranded for xmas - never cooked xmas dinner before - and not great in the ktichen ekk)
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

sporina wrote: »
    Anyone know of any butchers around the city doing prepared Turkey and Ham? A variation of.. a turkey crown - or rolled and boned.. cooked would be even better ekk..or something that can be just chucked into the oven? (just 2 of us - stranded for xmas - never cooked xmas dinner before - and not great in the ktichen ekk)
    TIA

Just do a chicken and ham, especially if there’s just two of you. Turkey would be a serious waste of money and food. And it’s often dry and tasteless.

There’s not much to roasting a chicken. Just remember to remove the giblets from the cavity first!

As regards the ham, I’m afraid that can’t just be chucked in the oven. You need to boil it first for a length of time proportional to the weight. I always boiled in undiluted cider instead of water, and did the boiling step on 24th. On the day, you just push a load of cloves into the fatty side of the ham, baste with an equal parts mixture of English mustard and dark brown sugar, and then bake it for 20-25 mins on a medium-high heat, from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Most shops will have a turkey joint. Centra do ATM for €10, should be enough meat for 2 days and a few sambos.
    For ham you could get a back bacon joint. I think it's nicer meat but maybe others don't. Boil for an hour on the 24th. Out of the fridge, bit of honey splashed over, few cloves stuck in and a sprinkle of mixed spice. Really tasty and easy to do.
    Iceland will have everything too, pretty cheap. Turkey and ham joints to cook in the tray provided, roast potatoes, croquettes, etc if you want even less hassle. The pork stuffing balls they do in bags of 12 are really nice.

Another option would be to call to a deli and ask for thicker slices of Turkey and ham. Wrap them in foil and they'll warm nicely in 10mins in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

.red. wrote: »
    Most shops will have a turkey joint. Centra do ATM for €10, should be enough meat for 2 days and a few sambos.
    For ham you could get a back bacon joint. I think it's nicer meat but maybe others don't. Boil for an hour on the 24th. Out of the fridge, bit of honey splashed over, few cloves stuck in and a sprinkle of mixed spice. Really tasty and easy to do.
    Iceland will have everything too, pretty cheap. Turkey and ham joints to cook in the tray provided, roast potatoes, croquettes, etc if you want even less hassle. The pork stuffing balls they do in bags of 12 are really nice.

Another option would be to call to a deli and ask for thicker slices of Turkey and ham. Wrap them in foil and they'll warm nicely in 10mins in the oven.
    There's sliced turkey and there's sliced turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Most butchers will have a turkey joint boned, rolled and stuffed that you can cook in the bag they are prepared in. It really is easy to cook it that way, ask the butcher as per the weight his long to leave in the oven. Or if you want a turkey joint smear on real butter, salt, pepper and streaky rashers over it, wrap loosely in tin foil and bake in hot oven, for the last 40mins remove the tin foil, baste it (that means spoon the melted butter and juices over it) and cook it til it turns golden brown. You could also sprinkle on some fresh herbs, parsley or thyme. Delicious.

Pasteur. wrote: »
    There's sliced turkey and there's sliced turkey

Yep, and any decent deli will have proper turkey breast cut off the bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Any of the family run butchers will have various versions of turkey and ham on offer, and will give good advice on what to do with it... You can even get boned.and rolled turkey leg for those that prefer the darker meat.
    Osborne's in blarney have some great stuff at Christmas!

Get some quality ingredients and give it a go! Christmas dinner is just a roast dinner and is not that hard at all, just time consuming.... But shur with a few drinks, and.a few Christmas tunes your laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Every place does Turkey crown already stuffed. They vary in price but buy a good one, it is Christmas after all. I would forget about the ham too if it's just two of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Our local butcher is.doing various options of turkey and ham for 2 people up to 10/12 etc and they look good value.
    A small crown and a small nice ham would be lovely on the day and perfect for sandwiches/ st stephens day lunch.

Turkey crown roasted is simple and the piece of ham can be booked gently for 20 mins to the lb and then roasted for a little while to crisp edges and bring out the flavour.
    Plenty of instructions online.
    Enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Every place does Turkey crown already stuffed. They vary in price but buy a good one, it is Christmas after all. I would forget about the ham too if it's just two of you.

Forget the ham? What sort of heathen are you??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭sporina

no ham? you gotta be kidding.. turkey on its own is meh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

no ham? you gotta be kidding.. turkey on its own is meh..

Cook a full turkey and ham so and we will see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you wedded to the turkey & ham? Turkey and ham are meals designed for a crowd by their very nature, I think mini versions risk being a little mediocre /sad / reminding you what you're NOT having... family around a big turkey.

I've a lash of seafood squirrelled away in the freezer here for xmas dinner.

How about a nice beef wellington? Or, what's your favourite dinner, make that instead?

Our local butcher is.doing various options of turkey and ham for 2 people up to 10/12 etc and they look good value.
    A small crown and a small nice ham would be lovely on the day and perfect for sandwiches/ st stephens day lunch.

Turkey crown roasted is simple and the piece of ham can be booked gently for 20 mins to the lb and then roasted for a little while to crisp edges and bring out the flavour.
    Plenty of instructions online.
    Enjoy:)

sounds great - where is your local butcher and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

If you want to get it Pre-cooked I just saw an article on Yaycork that the Rochestown Park hotel are doing “Christmas Dinner in a box”

yeahhhh.. a local butcher doing cooked stuffed turkey and ham portions... I actually didn't think that "cooked" would be an option..

thanks for all the constructive info ... Merry Christmas to you all..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Jj driscolls will also cook it for u :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Jj driscolls will also cook it for u :)

On Ballinlough Road, in case anyone’s wondering :)

TIA

Dunnes in Bishopstown have a lot of those options in the butchers

Dunnes in Bishopstown have a lot of those options in the butchers

thanks but we are sorted.. local butcher doing cooked portions of stuffed turkey and ham - order in and deposit paid - getting enough for 2 days - sounds perfect

thanks but we are sorted.. local butcher doing cooked portions of stuffed turkey and ham - order in and deposit paid - getting enough for 2 days - sounds perfect

Bon apetite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Glad you guys are sorted, just in case anyone still looking, someone mentioned before that the Rochestown Park are doing 'takeaway'

https://twitter.com/RochestownPark/status/1338780123689066496?s=20

Glad you guys are sorted, just in case anyone still looking, someone mentioned before that the Rochestown Park are doing 'takeaway'

https://twitter.com/RochestownPark/status/1338780123689066496?s=20

thanks - we looked into that but decided against - too much stuff we wouldn't use like the sides etc.. happy to do our own - just wanted the meats really...

I'd highly recommend making up some of these to go with the dinner.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056772901/1/#post81099163

Really easy to make and they freeze very well. You could make them whenever suits and just defrost. After my spiced beef they're my favourite part of the Christmas dinner. They go really well in a sandwich too.

.red. wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend making up some of these to go with the dinner.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056772901/1/#post81099163

Really easy to make and they freeze very well. You could make them whenever suits and just defrost. After my spiced beef they're my favourite part of the Christmas dinner. They go really well in a sandwich too.

thanks for that but we actually don't like sausage meat in stuffing.. we might however make up some of our own - we love it..

Hope everyone had a lovely xmas and best wishes for the NY.. just a quick update - our cooked stuffed turkey and ham portions worked out to be perfect for us - €30 for 6 portions and quality was top notch!!!
    Had them on xmas day, Stephens day and froze 2 for NY's day... hmmm hmmmm hmm... will definitely avail of this in future should the need occur.. totally stress free and delicious - meant we had so much more time to use at our leisure over the festive period (and before)... stay safe everyone.. x

Advertisement