Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.I. Leisure Licence Price increase?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

saccades wrote: »
    "The board is not satisfied that memberships should be in decline and recruitment and retention must remain at the centre of all activity in the federation"

[Naval gazing]Given that we've now so many people out cycling that the bike shops have been running out of stock, and that CI have no competing organisation, one would expect membership numbers to be soaring. It does make me wonder if CI have the imagination to promote and nourish the growth of cycling in this country beyond the remit of road cycling as a sport because that growth is most definitely there. Personally, I don't really care about the whole insurance thing either way but as a keen and enthusiastic cyclist would love to support and be part of a body that nurtured cycling in a much more general sense. It is without a doubt a great time to be on two wheels in Ireland and while the government is chucking money at cycling infrastructure and other more vague ways of promoting cycling the whole thing does feel that bit headless. Like many here, I'd rather be out on my bike than dealing with this stuff, which no doubt is a part of the problem. Ireland is a great country to cycle in and I reckon with a bit more imagination it could be truly world beating. [/Naval gazing]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posting on boards asking for advice counts as training, as it helps improve your performance.
    caveat: that depends on you getting good advice, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

Are there similar bodies to CI around the world (or even just Europe) who would support cycling in a general sense, rather than the sport of road cycling, like you've suggested?

Would many of the people who cycle in, say, Holland be members of the Dutch equivalent of CI?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

smacl wrote: »
    [Naval gazing]

1000w_q95.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

smacl wrote: »
    [Naval gazing]Given that we've now so many people out cycling that the bike shops have been running out of stock, and that CI have no competing organisation, one would expect membership numbers to be soaring. It does make me wonder if CI have the imagination to promote and nourish the growth of cycling in this country beyond the remit of road cycling as a sport because that growth is most definitely there. Personally, I don't really care about the whole insurance thing either way but as a keen and enthusiastic cyclist would love to support and be part of a body that nurtured cycling in a much more general sense. It is without a doubt a great time to be on two wheels in Ireland and while the government is chucking money at cycling infrastructure and other more vague ways of promoting cycling the whole thing does feel that bit headless. Like many here, I'd rather be out on my bike than dealing with this stuff, which no doubt is a part of the problem. Ireland is a great country to cycle in and I reckon with a bit more imagination it could be truly world beating. [/Naval gazing]
    Aside from me needing membership in order to join my club, I wouldn't have joined CI. Apart from a €20 voucher with CSS, I can't think of anything I've used. The insurance will be good should I need it (hopefully not) but as an organisation, what are they doing for the likes of me to justify the fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

The 12.5% vip discount with the cycle superstore By Signing up to cycling Ireland Was a no brainier to me . Saved a few hundred euro on a rothar by simply signing up the day before to a CI leisure license. Was well happy with it to be honest

Advertisement