Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powerline adaptors and Wifi

• 30-11-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

HI All,
    Looking for a few pointers. I have a cellular Three MObile broadband connection to the house, which up to recently, was used through Wifi within the house. As the devices began to mount, and with more working from home for myself and my wife. I wanted to try cut out some of the dropping out that was happening. I was blaming the wifi. I bought some TP link powerline adaptors, which also transmit wifi, so I could use ethernet connection for the main devices like my office pc, laptops for work, firestick's/chromecasts that were in fixed locations. But, although I set it up as per instructions, I seem to have several networks now. Is that correct? I have the original router wifi, then the powerline adaptor network. It becomes a bit unhandy when connecting peripherals like printers etc.. because it needs to go onto the same network as the device you want to print from. Should or can these not all be considered the one network?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are two "pairings", or a pairing and a clone.

First you pair the Powerlines to each other, then you perform a WPS Clone to only broadcast one SSID. Its in the manual how to do it (push button one, push button two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

DriversEd wrote: »
    HI All,
    Looking for a few pointers. I have a cellular Three MObile broadband connection to the house, which up to recently, was used through Wifi within the house. As the devices began to mount, and with more working from home for myself and my wife. I wanted to try cut out some of the dropping out that was happening. I was blaming the wifi. I bought some TP link powerline adaptors, which also transmit wifi, so I could use ethernet connection for the main devices like my office pc, laptops for work, firestick's/chromecasts that were in fixed locations. But, although I set it up as per instructions, I seem to have several networks now. Is that correct? I have the original router wifi, then the powerline adaptor network. It becomes a bit unhandy when connecting peripherals like printers etc.. because it needs to go onto the same network as the device you want to print from. Should or can these not all be considered the one network?

Set them all to be same wifi name and password.

So you will have two wifi - but phone etc will choose the most powerful one.

But use ethernet wired whenever possible- worth the hassle of running a wire- always full speed.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

Thanks for those answers. I had done exactly as on the instructions, as you mentioned ED E, but ended up with 2 wifi, as ozmo said, but named differently. I will match names now, then devices can select whichever is stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

Just a follow on question. Anyone know why the 3 wifi router has 2 connections. And I don't mean the 2.4 + 5GHz
    How best should I apply those?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

DriversEd wrote: »
    Just a follow on question. Anyone know why the 3 wifi router has 2 connections. And I don't mean the 2.4 + 5GHz
    How best should I apply those?

Could it be guest wifi- one you can give password out without them having access to all pcs etc.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
Advertisement