Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to become a hairdresser, how do I?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hello!

Not sure if this is the right place but I thought I was more likely to find those in the industry here compared to elsewhere on Boards.

I want to become a hairdresser.

I've quite frankly pricked around with college, working construction, and what not before setting everything else aside and just focusing on what it is I actually want from my future career.

I want to work with my hands,
    I don't fancy myself for back breaking manual labour or working outdoors.
    I want a creative career,
    I want to work with people,
    I'd like the possibility to be self employed in the future,
    I don't want to continue with college, I don't want to get into something that would require me to have a bachelors degree.. College just is not for me.

I think hairdressing ticks those boxes, at least more so than my other options.

Some might think it's a strange career choice for a straight guy but I frankly don't care at this point, I'm sick of college and construction jobs that seem like my only alternative.
    If I was worried what others might think I'd go into barbering, but I think I'd enjoy hairdressing more, there just seems to be more to cutting women's hair, there's more to learn, more variety, use of colour etc.

I just don't really know how to go about getting into it!

I know GTI (Galway Technical Institute) offer courses, namely a 2 year course.
    I'm 23, I might feel even more out of place in a course with 18 year old girls, but that's not a deciding factor.
    I've actually been in touch with a hairdresser I know and he recommended an apprenticeship.

He recommended just going straight in and looking for an apprenticeship, I'm just waiting on his recommendations for salons to apply for.

I can't imagine it's going to be easy to get an apprenticeship..
    Will I be at a disadvantage being a guy?
    I mean my experience with women's hair extends to helping my sister straighten hers.
    I'm betting most ladies applying have more experience than I do.

Is it more so I'm looking for unpaid weekend work in hopes of being taken on as an apprentice?
    I'm quite alright with being paid f*(e)*ck all, but I'd like to be paid!
    I currently work part time in retail so I could make it work but it really wouldn't be ideal, small sacrifice all the same.

I'd really appreciate some guidance,
    I'm at a point now where I think I really know what I'm looking at and I just want to make a go of it.

And yes my username is in reference to the iconic 'hairdressers car'!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MrMiata wrote: »
    Will I be at a disadvantage being a guy?

No. Not in any way whatsoever.

However you will have to be ok with working with women for the rest of your working life ..and be ok with that. It can be tiring. You may miss male company.

You will also have to learn not only how to work with women. But how to work ON women. You have to develop your way with clients who will mostly be female.

But no you being male won't put people off you at all. It doesn't make a difference. I knew a few male straight hairdressers it didn't hurt them at all.
    I'm betting most ladies applying have more experience than I do.

Probably. But to be honest. What the average woman knows you could prob learn in a week.

You have experience of hard work in construction. That will stand to you.

You are a little older than most starting ...but still young. You are probably the perfect age.

Sensible yet still plenty of energy ;)

A salon floor will have more diversity in the age group. But you will always be surrounded by women in hairdressing now matter where you go or how you do it. If you love it enough you will be fine.
    Good luck with your apprenticeship .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Lots of hairdressers have male staff, its becoming very common, my local hairdressers is run by a man and his sons who all do womens hair.
    You could do an apprenticeship but it could make it much harder for you to get a job anywhere after. Most hairdressers finish a 1 or 2 year level 5 or 6 QQI qualification and then go into a salon working under a senior stylist, similar to an apprenticeship. I would really recommend doing at least a level 5 in hairdressing.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

You can also look towards makeup and special effects for the film production. Much more glamorous, though much less stable work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I'm not sure where you're based but def lookinto the salon you apply to and try get into a salon that continously upskills their staff - if they're doing it it will be all over their insta

Advertisement