Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp recommendation for surf guitar tone

• 30-11-2020 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend a bedroom / practice amp to get surf tones? I cant really go for the large classic Fender tube amps as they are too loud. Just something that wont cost a fortune and will deliver tone that closely resembles Dick Dale / or old Shadows stuff, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'm all about plugins and modelling these days.
    All my amps are gathering dust these days because I've no need for them without gigs to play.
    For €100-€200 or so you'll get a lot of variation if you have a pc and audio interface.

Is that an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

Most of the old classic amps would be way to loud so yes, its looking that way, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

If you already have the interface and PC check out Native Instruments Guitar Rig.
    Guitar Rig 6 has just been released, I haven't used it yet but I'm a big fan of Guitar Rig 5 which is years old at this stage and the modelling/IR stuff has come on leaps and bounds recently so I can only imagine 6 is better again.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-6-pro/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gerarda wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend a bedroom / practice amp to get surf tones? I cant really go for the large classic Fender tube amps as they are too loud. Just something that wont cost a fortune and will deliver tone that closely resembles Dick Dale / or old Shadows stuff, thanks!

a 50w kitana should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

a 50w kitana should do the trick

Thanks, will check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gerarda wrote: »
    Thanks, will check it out!

in the meantime i bought a 2nd hand 100w katana for 200 quid , packs a punch

• Registered Users Posts: 1 neilmurphy65

I've seen The Surfragettes using Fender Exclesiors on YouTube. Pretty sure the also use a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal to give the sound more top end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

In my surf band I used a Fender reverb tank and a 1963 Fender Bandmaster and it was absolutely perfect. Had to sell the Bandmaster in the end as I wasn’t using it enough.

I have also used an Excelsior Pro on a few surf gigs, the 15” speaker is great for it, great big round notes. I don’t think they make them any more though.

A Fender Blues Junior could be a good option, with a good reverb pedal in front of it. They’re really versatile amps.

Advertisement